Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 2008post #30106 of 587724/22/13 at 5:28am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #30107 of 587724/22/13 at 5:35amQuote:Originally Posted by Nicholas D C
Anyone know where I can get a good quality nice navy/red/white striped tie (or variations of said colour scheme). I think the term I've heard for it is a 'repp' stripe?
The usual suspects seem to be vanda, hober, drakes - amirite? Tempted to just go with new Herringbone ties since they moved back to Italy for production and I get a decent price on 'em through work. Figured I would receive the collective wisdom first before pulling the trigger, however.
Nothing wrong with Herringbone ties. I have thrifted a few and the Italian ones are great.post #30108 of 587724/22/13 at 5:53ampost #30109 of 587724/22/13 at 4:13pmpost #30110 of 587724/22/13 at 4:23pmpost #30111 of 587724/22/13 at 4:53pmQuote:
Yes, wore mine at the Henry Carter Trunk Show for the first time this year....it was a rainy night so a great opportunity to wrap a little luxury around my neck. Such a beautiful tie, I have the light grey one.
For anyone who does not have a cashmere tie I suggest you check the HC ones out.post #30112 of 587724/22/13 at 4:56pmpost #30113 of 587724/22/13 at 4:58pmpost #30114 of 587724/22/13 at 5:15pmQuote:
thanks - thats a pjohnson semi-cutaway on a higher collar stand
Tie is Drakes but looks very similar to HC which is a third of what i paidpost #30115 of 587724/22/13 at 5:30pmpost #30116 of 587724/22/13 at 5:31pmQuote:Good stuff Geoff, eloquent as usual.Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Interesting choice of reading material. Personally I look at the questions you raised, at a surface/social level from Bourdieu in terms of cultural, social and symbolic power or using APS speech " tailoring the message to suit the needs of the audience."
First for me what is one attempting to achieve in dressing well is not being a kabuki actor, or flanuer, or face ( reading Mod a Very British Style at present). Dress codes and here I mean the personal, not professionla or age appropriate. Are reflective of who and what I am as a person,how i percieve myself as a middle aged male and how i present myself to the world. And how I wish others to percieve me.
Clothing and how it is combined is a form of signifier which is both reflective of personality ( the look ), power and status within society. Ergo I would probablly not dress the same as going to the see Bell Shakespear or the Brumbies, two socially different situatyions but in todays world socially blured.
Aside from the professional disposition, eg where I am on the corporate hierarchy. The way we dress can inspire trust,envy or hositlity and intimidate those that we are addressing. Suits are a wonderful way of expressing power in the work place and therefore achieving symbolic power in the corporate hierarchy. That is my observation here in Canberra, but when working as a rural academic years ago in the arts it was very black, a cultural creative post punk Iook and it was also political as it differentated you form the squattocracy at opening nights at cultural events.
I wonder a lot about age appropriate dressing, particularlly in terms of casual attire. I know I can wear a pea coat in winter because its warm but I would not ( persoanl taste and no politics here) wear a M65 field jacket in a casual situation. To me such a garment is not the look of who I am at my age. Maybe a Barbour but never been keen on them and they carry too much bagage in terms of signification for my taste.
Second being well dressed is socially about class, status and power. Good clothing and the abiltiy to dress well is a sign of power and money in todays society. Power equalls money therefore the line between self image and disposable income is clealry stated in how we dress.
We like to look the part for the soical role we play wheather it is work or casual, we project ourselves firstly by our appearence before we open our mouths. Being well attired is back in fashion, not that fashion has anythign to do with taste.Just look at the Goodweekend with its full page ads for DJ's and suits and racing. Deconstructing those implies a subtext that blowing your cash at the races is a symbolic of your ability to drop money on said suit and then trot off to the races and blow your cash in style, but being in said suit and with babe on arm you will be a winner.
Thirdly, taste and the abilty to project via one's clothing a personal style that demonstrates one understands what good taste and is all about. Not too flash, but a subtle well thought out ensemble which clearly states this is who I am. I have learnt how to walk the talk mind you its taken me time to achieve this but I know how to carry and project myself to the world. Taste takes time, money and exposure to the culture, noir film was one of my main inspirations in life. As I stated earlier I do come from a cultural creative background and the detached observer in me likes to look and watch the games that people play while also being on the stage with the other actors.post #30117 of 587724/22/13 at 5:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by nabilmust
Jas, I've always been on the fence about a purple pindot tie.
When I saw the same on your webstore, and at that steep a discount, I only had to think for about 2 milliseconds. Looking forward to giving it a go.
Can't believe you had to think about it!!! I wear mine regularlypost #30118 of 587724/22/13 at 5:50pmRecently there was a reprint of a great article by Cary Grant in GQ:
"Don't be a snob about the way you dress. Snobbery is only a point in time. Be tolerant and helpful to the other fellow—he is yourself yesterday."
http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201304/cary-grant-on-style?currentPage=1post #30119 of 587724/22/13 at 5:52pmpost #30120 of 587724/22/13 at 6:02pm
- Australian Members
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1218 Active Users (199 Members and 1019 Guests)
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 21 seconds ago
- › Get Job Lose Problem Solution Astrologer Baba Ji +91-9888673540 58 seconds ago
- › Bring Back Your Boy Friend Kala Jadu Specialist +91-9888673540 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › lovev a s h i k a r a n specialist BabA ji delhi 9888673540 2 minutes ago
- › Tantra Mantra specialist In Hong Kong +9888673540 2 minutes ago
- › Bring Back Your Girlfriend Black Magic +91-9888673540 3 minutes ago
- › vashikaran specialist in delhi 9888673540 3 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 5 minutes ago
- › Love Black Magic call to +91-9888673540 6 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays