or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1998

post #29956 of 52377
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

With thanks to Nicole from Circa Vintage shop http://circavintageclothing.com.au/ in the Mitchell Building who scanned these in.
From a Sydney chain - Marcus Clark http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Clark_%26_Co.
http://www.hht.net.au/discover/highlights/online_exhibitions/sydneys_home_furnishing_stores,_1890-1960/marcus_clark__and__co
1961 Catalog
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Interesting stuff. They were bought out by Waltons, who in turn were bought out by...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...Alan Bond.
post #29957 of 52377
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

recent sydney looks. I hope i don't look like a 22 year old dressing like a 50 year old: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
RL Black Label
Band of Outsiders
Zimma Tailors
Crocket and Jones (not vis)


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Herringbone POW Check
Brooks brothers ESF
Ralph Lauren



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Herringbone
E. Zenga
Herringbone
Alden for BB(not vis)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
RL Black Label
Brooks Brothers ESF
Herringbone
Crocket and Jones for RL(not vis)


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
RL Black Label
Brooks Brothers ESF
Zimma Tailors
Alden Cordovan(not vis)
You seem to have a reasonable idea of how to coordinate colour without doing anything too "out there", with the exception of the tie in the last pic which is real estate shiny. I'll try not to be too nitpicky and don't take this personally but a few other observations:

* your suits generally fit you pretty well, particularly the HB ones
* your shirt collars have a few issues which are more pressing (e.g. one has curling points, one is too spread for FIH tie knot, BD doesn't work with that suit, one is too soft...)
* that watch, nice though it may be, stands out too much (particularly on that strap); personally I'd look for something a little slimmer and dressier for wear with a suit, or wear the Speedy (??) with your casual gear or on a plain leather/metal band with your suits.
post #29958 of 52377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

You seem to have a reasonable idea of how to coordinate colour without doing anything too "out there", with the exception of the tie in the last pic which is real estate shiny. I'll try not to be too nitpicky and don't take this personally but a few other observations:

* your suits generally fit you pretty well, particularly the HB ones
* your shirt collars have a few issues which are more pressing (e.g. one has curling points, one is too spread for FIH tie knot, BD doesn't work with that suit, one is too soft...)
* that watch, nice though it may be, stands out too much (particularly on that strap); personally I'd look for something a little slimmer and dressier for wear with a suit, or wear the Speedy (??) with your casual gear or on a plain leather/metal band with your suits.

thanks PoP - agree with you on all points above- especially about the shirt collars. I recently just overhauled my shirt wardrobe because all the shirts above are about 2-4 years old!
post #29959 of 52377

PoP is a very, very hard man to please.

 

Which shirt is too spread for the FIH?

post #29960 of 52377
Ari, all of your jacket sleeves look short, from a little to a lot confused.gif
post #29961 of 52377
Some thoughts on the C&J discussion on the previous page...

I wonder whether the 358 is bigger than the 348. I have width and instep issues, the Simpson doesn't work for me at all, but the 358 is mint and possibly wider than the 337. Might be something to think about.

C&J's new 363 is pretty modern too.
post #29962 of 52377
Double post.
post #29963 of 52377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

recent sydney looks. I hope i don't look like a 22 year old dressing like a 50 year old: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
RL Black Label
Band of Outsiders
Zimma Tailors
Crocket and Jones (not vis)


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Herringbone POW Check
Brooks brothers ESF
Ralph Lauren



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Herringbone
E. Zenga
Herringbone
Alden for BB(not vis)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
RL Black Label
Brooks Brothers ESF
Herringbone
Crocket and Jones for RL(not vis)


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
RL Black Label
Brooks Brothers ESF
Zimma Tailors
Alden Cordovan(not vis)
You seem to have a reasonable idea of how to coordinate colour without doing anything too "out there", with the exception of the tie in the last pic which is real estate shiny. I'll try not to be too nitpicky and don't take this personally but a few other observations:

* your suits generally fit you pretty well, particularly the HB ones
* your shirt collars have a few issues which are more pressing (e.g. one has curling points, one is too spread for FIH tie knot, BD doesn't work with that suit, one is too soft...)
* that watch, nice though it may be, stands out too much (particularly on that strap); personally I'd look for something a little slimmer and dressier for wear with a suit, or wear the Speedy (??) with your casual gear or on a plain leather/metal band with your suits.

I'd agree with most of this other than the bold portion. IMHO there is no such thing as a collar that is 'too spread for a FIH knot".
post #29964 of 52377
Ari - doesn't seem too old man to me.
Like the peak lapel sing breast suit.
Not a fan of the shiny real estate agent /politician single colour tie.

The Flavor Fav watch on the colourful band supplies too much casual discordant colour for the business suits. Smaller watch and smaller subdued NATO band if you want that combo with a suit and tie.

A word of warning - you've gone from taking photos of yourself in the lift to grabbing women in the lift.
Who knows where this could end - one day you'll get caught! stop before it escalates.
post #29965 of 52377
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennier View Post


I'd agree with most of this other than the bold portion. IMHO there is no such thing as a collar that is 'too spread for a FIH knot".

I'd agree with this.

 

This is why I asked a few pages back about how TBM did his knot. Whether it was a double-fih or a single-fih.

post #29966 of 52377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

On the train now and there's a lot of adverts for BMV Bespoke - $650 for:

1 suit
1 blazer
1 trouser
2 shirts

It's the secret of looking like a million dollar man.

FOR ONLY $650 :-)

Just like the Big W ad "2 bucks to look a million bucks eh?"

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

I must admit that is true. I gave most of my stuff away some years back, but I had quite a few silk shirts (both button-up shirts as well as t-shirts!), some pretty awful ties, and baggy trousers with too many pleats that were purchased back in my university days.

I think that the only remnant that I have of those times is a pair of old, black Doc Marten boots.

Yeah - i giveaway/donate/bin clothes after 2 years - mostly to my dad or salvo's. Im not one to hoard.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


You seem to have a reasonable idea of how to coordinate colour without doing anything too "out there", with the exception of the tie in the last pic which is real estate shiny. I'll try not to be too nitpicky and don't take this personally but a few other observations:

* your suits generally fit you pretty well, particularly the HB ones
* your shirt collars have a few issues which are more pressing (e.g. one has curling points, one is too spread for FIH tie knot, BD doesn't work with that suit, one is too soft...)
* that watch, nice though it may be, stands out too much (particularly on that strap); personally I'd look for something a little slimmer and dressier for wear with a suit, or wear the Speedy (??) with your casual gear or on a plain leather/metal band with your suits.

 

I think watches are personal and I put bright orange nato's on my submariner from time to time with a suit ... but i do balance it out... sometimes a conservative CBD outfit with a nato strap can look out of place. If you have time try mixing the straps up each day - always good to keep the masses guessing :)

post #29967 of 52377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmills View Post

Some thoughts on the C&J discussion on the previous page...

I wonder whether the 358 is bigger than the 348. I have width and instep issues, the Simpson doesn't work for me at all, but the 358 is mint and possibly wider than the 337. Might be something to think about.

C&J's new 363 is pretty modern too.
The 358 is the same last as the 348 only it's the handgrade version.
post #29968 of 52377
I think I'm with PoP on the extreme cut away collar.

Its a look that to my mind needs balancing (not just in this case but generally) with a large tie knot.

With a skinnier tie and knot it can look a bit unfinished with the neckband underside showing and the tie space and gap between peaks seems to be begging to be filled.

Its not so much that a FIH is wrong but that it needs a thicker tie and/or a thicker knot.

See Prince Michael of Kent and his huge ties - mostly tied FIH but clearly big thick ties.
https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=prince+micheal+of+kent&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=uPRwUbPeNY6TigeixoGIDg&biw=1327&bih=558&sei=vPRwUfmrB4S0kAW0k4CAAQ

I'd say get your thickest tie and do a double FIH - it will look better - I'd say it would suit the peak lapel suit well. Look a bit flash even. Not your usual tie look.
Edited by fxh - 4/19/13 at 1:41am
post #29969 of 52377
Nice to meet some fellow SF'ers last night. Unfortunately I couldn't stay long but did walk away with a beautiful blue cashmere knit. Congratulations on both the product and night Jason.
post #29970 of 52377
wow Prince Michael of Kent is a complete boss. Now i want to look like a 50 year old.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members