or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1951

post #29251 of 51886
Probably get me exiled but cases for iphone 5 any recommendations?
post #29252 of 51886
tobiasj you will be happy to know i wore my high tied black knit tie on saturday at friends wedding, looked great with pink shirt/ white collar and got heaps of compliments on it. knit ties rock icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #29253 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-banger View Post

tobiasj you will be happy to know i wore my high tied black knit tie on saturday at friends wedding, looked great with pink shirt/ white collar and got heaps of compliments on it. knit ties rock icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

As do pink shirts.
post #29254 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

See for example his "rock star" turn here - http://gezzaseyes.tumblr.com/post/47358023634/gigging-and-i-have-the-blister-to-prove-it-the

 

 

Is this a different jacket GN? I reckon the one you wore strummin the guitar was great

post #29255 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

I applaud GN for being brave (or stupid?) enough to post pictures here

 

 

Well, it's worth it when I get responses at the level of yours and PoP's. This place is a great resource for a number of us still trying to find our way through it all and I appreciate the people that have stayed on and continue to 'give back' to the others who are at an earlier point in their own sartorial journey.

post #29256 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

 

Is this a different jacket GN? I reckon the one you wore strummin the guitar was great

 

Today's jacket is RL Polo by Cornielani and the guitar jacket was part of my PJ blazer suit - I get so much use out of it, it's not funny. That's the same photo I posted on Instagram.

post #29257 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


Also, while those Rubinacci pocket squares are undoubtedly things of beauty, they are notoriously hard to coordinate. To me, the one you are wearing has a summery vibe with that splash of green/teal and the light ground. I get you are trying to link the brown in it to your tie/shoes but to me, the overwhelmingly light background makes it jar a little with the A/W feel of the rest of your look, and it would perhaps look more at home in the breast pocket of a lighter coloured cotton jacket and a pair of green chinos, for example.

Interested to hear your and others' thoughts on my comments.

On this note and a general note on pocket squares, I always think that for A/W the best pocket square colours are just the general darker winter colours, like burgundy, rust, olive, forest, darker golds etc etc. Sounds simple but is hard to put in practice and keep things simple. I must admit more and more I'm going simpler with pocket squares, and that's not because I'm lazy it's purely due to time restrictions in the morning and one less thing to worry about. I mean you see all this wankery about cream pocket squares an all that but I tend to look first at a white linen square to see if it's appropriate and if not look for something simple that complements without matching. And I almost always wear a plain/grenadine tie if the square I'm wearing is busy, just to balance things out.

I'll have quite a few nice printed wool and silk PS's coming for about the middle of winter, not for the trunk show unfortunately (which is only a week and a half away now.!) Lots of winter colours like I was talking about above.
post #29258 of 51886

I have a pair of vintage boar bristle clothes brushes for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251256460509?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

post #29259 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-banger View Post

tobiasj you will be happy to know i wore my high tied black knit tie on saturday at friends wedding, looked great with pink shirt/ white collar and got heaps of compliments on it. knit ties rock icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

This warms my heart, all the way down to the sub-cockle region. Nice one.

I'll be restocking soon.
post #29260 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

One thing I'm finding challenging to put into practise is the combination of different textures to make an outfit interesting while still retaining coherence and harmony in its entirety.

Dressing can be a bit of a dark art sometimes, and IMO texture is one of the hardest things to get right, and often it is the difference between something looking good that, in your mind, shouldn't - or something that just doesn't work despite your best laid plans and what the textbooks tell you. I've made my share of flubs in this regard, but as a rule of thumb, I tend to think that the more colour elements an outfit has, the fewer textural variations there should be - and vice versa. So if you are mixing up odd pants and odd jacket with a colourful tie, then you should try to keep the textures similar. Conversely, if you are wearing a navy suit, white shirt, blue tie and white PS, a grenadine tie and silk square will add a bit of visual interest to an otherwise homogenous outfit (I think a few posters in this thread do this very well btw).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post

On this note and a general note on pocket squares, I always think that for A/W the best pocket square colours are just the general darker winter colours, like burgundy, rust, olive, forest, darker golds etc etc. Sounds simple but is hard to put in practice and keep things simple. I must admit more and more I'm going simpler with pocket squares, and that's not because I'm lazy it's purely due to time restrictions in the morning and one less thing to worry about. I mean you see all this wankery about cream pocket squares an all that but I tend to look first at a white linen square to see if it's appropriate and if not look for something simple that complements without matching. And I almost always wear a plain/grenadine tie if the square I'm wearing is busy, just to balance things out.

I tend to agree HC. As for Rubi pocket squares, I nearly bought one 'just to have one' a few years ago. They are works of art and almost deserve to be hung on a wall rather than be stuffed in your pocket. But I would disagree with the assertion by dieworkwear that "when you have a big, bold pattern - as opposed to a small repeating pattern such a pin dots - you can always be assured that they will stand on their own against what you’re wearing, but still harmonize through a complementary color in the complex design." More often than not they will stand apart from the rest of your outfit, and against what you are wearing (he got that part right). And if you have trouble with a pin dot PS, I reckon you will struggle trying to look harmonious with a Michelangelo in your pocket (or are you just happy to see me?) Like I say they are nice items to have - when you already have everything else!
post #29261 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


As for Rubi pocket squares, I nearly bought one 'just to have one' a few years ago. They are works of art and almost deserve to be hung on a wall rather than be stuffed in your pocket.

Rubi pocket squares are so good! Both stuffed and folded they look excellent. The trick is to not wear a loud tie with the square - making the square your statement piece.

post #29262 of 51886
Alright,

I currently can't decide whether to go with the Loake buckinghams or C&J finsbury in dark brown. Style doesn't worry me, the loake is beautiful, but I found the soles of the loake hard (never tried the C&J)

For a shoe in my weekly work rotation (to be rotated with a black Oxford) am I better off going with the Loake or saving for the C&J in terms of comfort?
post #29263 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Alright,

I currently can't decide whether to go with the Loake buckinghams or C&J finsbury in dark brown. Style doesn't worry me, the loake is beautiful, but I found the soles of the loake hard (never tried the C&J)

For a shoe in my weekly work rotation (to be rotated with a black Oxford) am I better off going with the Loake or saving for the C&J in terms of comfort?

 

The common idea is buy the best you can afford, but if you're only rotating with one other pair two pairs of Loakes (either a second black or a burgundy pair for versatility) may be a better option if you're going to be wearing them day in day out.

post #29264 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Rubi pocket squares are so good! Both stuffed and folded they look excellent. The trick is to not wear a loud tie with the square - making the square your statement piece.
I don't believe in "statement pieces", I believe in statement outfits... Okay that sounds wankey but anyway, pretty much the only two guys I've seen pull off a Rubinacci pocket square are... the Rubinaccis. The last guy is doing ok with colour but he looks like he has a chook in his pocket:





You will note in all those examples there are other "loud" items apart from the PS - either tie, jacket or both. This adds some balance to the outfits, and draws your eye to the wearers' faces (not their left boobs). Having a loud pocket square and a muted tie/shirt/etc. is like playing Neil Young really loudly, but only in your left speaker.

Needless to say, coordinating loud patterns and pastel shades is harder than coordinating basic patterns and muted colours, which is why, I think, Baroque-design pocket squares are harder to work into an outfit, especially if you have conservative tendencies with the rest of your dress.
post #29265 of 51886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Probably get me exiled but cases for iphone 5 any recommendations?

BAyheioCcAAQJcE.png:large

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members