or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1911

post #28651 of 52586
^^ what kind of pleats do you favour? Single/double, forward/reverse?
post #28652 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Burnso!

 

About those Mocc socks, it took about 2-3 weeks from the U.S.

 

However, they are a little iffy. The back, after a couple of hours, tends to slide down to the bottom of the heel, creating friction at the back of the foot. Also, they just fit me, and I am a UK7. They must have amazing elastine power to fit anything bigger than that!

 

They don't pill, which is good. But, how do you solve the problem where the sock slides down the back!?

Uh oh, Im a 10UK...

 

Up until now I have been wearing the Vans primarily (plain black version: there's 2 types now it seems), and only have to adjust the heel maybe once and they sit very nicely.

However I now have leather loafers (not just sneakers or other pimsolls) and I have found they're too visible, so thought Id try some specific 'loafer socks'.

 

Perhaps its down to the smaller size, pulling the back down. Might have to experiment with having the sock > 1cm past top of shoe heel. Too much heel movement?

Im still playin'

 

'Ninja socks' might be the go (http://www.ninjasox.com/collections/frontpage/products/black-ninja-sox).

post #28653 of 52586

I would be very surprised if these Mocc Socks stretch to a 10. They feel tight on my feet! I should have said something earlier :\.

 

The sock doesn't come right up the back of the shoe. It is probably .5cm below the heel line of the shoe. Small sizing and a bit of a friction in the shoe, it just slowly goes down down. So long as the base of the foot is well and truly covered, you get no strange smells.

 

If you want the truly sockless look with your loafers, you have to get something like these Mocc Socks. The only thing is, they have to be just the right size!

 

Ninja Sox look good - they are exactly the same concept as Mocc Socks :P. That heel bit needs to come up just a smidge.

post #28654 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas D C View Post

I don't really take issue with anything in your post aside from your statement about 75 cents being where the dollar 'should be'.

That exchange rate of AUD/USD = 0.75 might be good for Australian retailers because it'd force consumers back to them, but it has nothing to do with what actually sets the forex rates (supply and demand mainly).

Yes the AUD is considered slightly overvalued, but it's not by margins of 25%+ - more like 5c according to the RBA as of the beginning of the month. See here for further info (http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/australian-dollar-overvalued--rba-003014632.html)

Should have clarified that I was talking from a sweetspot point of view for our export market, which is pretty buggered at the moment, for obvious reasons. As Rob said, wholesale costs would go up too for importers, assuming the products are bought in US dollars, which mine aren't but you could easily Substitute the euro for my case which is pretty weak as well.

I'm not an economist nor am I that smart, so it could be 80, 85 or 90 cents as the right spot, but I do know that having worked in export in a previous job business was better at around 75 cents which is of course a biased opinion, especially as I'd like to grow my own businesses export more in the future.
post #28655 of 52586
http://m.theage.com.au/photogallery/national/meet-the-maker-arts-event-melbourne-20130323-2gmhc.html

Our man Mr Nelson getting his face in the press. No mention of his name, perhaps this shoe shine master is trying to keep his identity hidden, perhaps he is too modest, perhaps an oversight by the paper. I would guess it is a bit of all three.

Anyway, bravo, Mr Nice Guy, bravo!
post #28656 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

^^ what kind of pleats do you favour? Single/double, forward/reverse?

Double reverse last time I bought a pair was 2009 at FJ gone the way of the dionsurs.
post #28657 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

http://m.theage.com.au/photogallery/national/meet-the-maker-arts-event-melbourne-20130323-2gmhc.html

Our man Mr Nelson getting his face in the press. No mention of his name, perhaps this shoe shine master is trying to keep his identity hidden, perhaps he is too modest, perhaps an oversight by the paper. I would guess it is a bit of all three.

Anyway, bravo, Mr Nice Guy, bravo!

 

 

Thank you, sir!

 

I've seen enough to know that I still have a hell of a lot to learn but I do hope people got something out of the session. They certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves although the whiskey might have had a lot to do with that!

 

Tobiasj and fxh sms'd me this morning to let me know and that was the first I'd heard of it. I didn't even know any press were covering the event.

 

In the piece that came out in the print version, they identified me as Chris Schaerf. I'm taking it as a compliment given that Chris looks like this:

 

post #28658 of 52586
Can you guys give me some tips as to where to get nice socks?

Straight out of the packet one of my pantherella's ripped in half, and when they go back to $25 a piece I'm not going to have the money for it.

I tried a pair of bonds in navy and charcoal, but they fit looser than a wizard's sleeve.
post #28659 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Can you guys give me some tips as to where to get nice socks?

Straight out of the packet one of my pantherella's ripped in half, and when they go back to $25 a piece I'm not going to have the money for it.

I tried a pair of bonds in navy and charcoal, but they fit looser than a wizard's sleeve.

The Wood's of Shropshire.  You can buy the 100 % sea island cotton ones cheaper than the blended ones in Aus.

post #28660 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

^^ what kind of pleats do you favour? Single/double, forward/reverse?

I think double reverse are a bit too dated - the combination with low rise broadens the hips too much.

 

For a single I think either can fly, for double I prefer forward.  All forward pleated trousers should have a slightly higher rise.

 

And try to tell me pleats don't look flattering:

 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3l_5U-bUoqk/T1YlZ5GPyTI/AAAAAAAAIIU/2ziWN6EaMFc/s1600/california+tuxedo.jpg

post #28661 of 52586

High rise, single forward for me!

post #28662 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredAstaire1899 View Post

I think double reverse are a bit too dated - the combination with low rise broadens the hips too much.

For a single I think either can fly, for double I prefer forward.  All forward pleated trousers should have a slightly higher rise.

And try to tell me pleats don't look flattering:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3l_5U-bUoqk/T1YlZ5GPyTI/AAAAAAAAIIU/2ziWN6EaMFc/s1600/california+tuxedo.jpg

Just so I know we are on the same page, this a single reverse pleat, correct? Ie it opens towards the rear

Think I'm going to go with single reverse on my next pair. I think it looks sleeker than forward, myself
post #28663 of 52586
LL Bean having a sale, 10%, SPRING10. been eyeing their duck/bean boots a while for those rainy days. anyone have any experience with them?
post #28664 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post


Just so I know we are on the same page, this a single reverse pleat, correct? Ie it opens towards the rear

Think I'm going to go with single reverse on my next pair. I think it looks sleeker than forward, myself

Yes, a single reverse pleat, it opens towards the side pockets.  I agree with you, for a single I prefer reverse, for a double forward.  

 

Note that his trousers are every bit as sleek as FF yet lack the horizontal creases across the front and are probably much more comfortable to sit in.

post #28665 of 52586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post

Should have clarified that I was talking from a sweetspot point of view for our export market, which is pretty buggered at the moment, for obvious reasons. As Rob said, wholesale costs would go up too for importers, assuming the products are bought in US dollars, which mine aren't but you could easily Substitute the euro for my case which is pretty weak as well.

I'm not an economist nor am I that smart, so it could be 80, 85 or 90 cents as the right spot, but I do know that having worked in export in a previous job business was better at around 75 cents which is of course a biased opinion, especially as I'd like to grow my own businesses export more in the future.

Its interesting.. For apparel retailers gross margins are the highest they've ever been but sales growth is anaemic so therefore they are relying on expanding gross margins to compensate for rising costs ie rent, labour, services etc. With the currency stabilised gross margin expansion will stall and retailers need sales growth to prevent operating deliberate. How this year pans out will be crucial
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members