Look to Alan See for inspiration on that combo http://lnsee.tumblr.com/
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Le Noeud Papillon
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 1902
Styleforum Top Picks
I haven't looked at Alan's blog for a while.
It's disappointing to see that Ethan has also jumped on the "over-sprezzed" bandwagon, and that he's wearing the tail of his tie over the front blade:
It's not "sprezz" if you do it deliberately, people!
To be frank, that's a hideous outfit. Too much washed out green.
And 17oz cotton chino pants - they must feel like iron. Hardly the sort of cooling clothes that you'd wear in summer! Seriously, most tweed isn't nearly as heavy as that.
I find that I look at clothing blogs less and less nowadays, as I'm tired of the whole #menswear schtick - sockless loafers, clip-on braces, tail of the tie at the front, chain or plaited leather rope strung through lapel buttonhole, floppy collar without stays, floppy felt hats, and so on and on.
It strikes me as ironic - or perhaps more as hypocritical (at the risk of sounding rather too critical) - as a lot of #menswear bloggers purport to be in search of some sort of authenticity, in the form of clothing made by small, artisanal firms with long histories and links to the culture of the countries where they are located etc and yet, despite that apparent desire for authenticity, a lot of #menswear bloggers then rush to adopt exactly the same trends, the same looks, the same faux-sprezzatura (apologies for mixing French and Italian!). So much for their own authenticity...
I have enormous admiration for Ethan's knowledge of clothing, his passion for good menswear, and for his photography skills, but (even though I'm not directly affected by it in any way, shape or form) I do wish that he hadn't jumped on the same bandwagon (as have Alan and Jake at The Armoury).
ACTUALLY, he's been digging deeper into the issue of mulesing. Apparently it's common in Australia (but banned in NZ, for example).
HAnd it was at this point of time, that I said out loud to him: "It really isn't a wonder why most vegan activists dress the way they do."
I'm never going out with a vegan chick, that's for sure.
It was good because it prompted me to find out more and make sure the wool weaver I use for my regular ties doesn't support it either, which thankfully they don't.
Depends what jackets/outfits you have in mind. Cotton chinos probably won't look good with woollen jackets, so unless you have a couple of cotton/linen/blend jackets to go with them... Then again they will go well with a lot of shirts just on their own if that's your style.
Just building my wardrobe. Looking for a classic grey trouser (though in something lighter than flannel) and khakis. Will wear with a cotton jacket.
Also my remark re cotton chinos not going with wool jackets, of course exceptions abound particularly if it's a smooth light wool, but cotton on cotton tends to be a more foolproof combination. Anyway I'm sure you know what you're doing in this regard.
I'm about 170 cm (not quite 6ft) and 71-72kg. I'm not rail thin, but I don't carry an exceptional amount of weight. Like many people, I'd probably benefit from eating less sugar and exercising a whole lot more, but genuinely I don't think the majority of my issues lie there.
I am the same height and a touch more in weight. I have thick muscular thighs and don't have a large chest or broad shoulders (soccer player). With a figure like mine, it is hard to find a coat that isn't too long with matching trousers that aren't too tight. The trend towards slim fit suits makes it impossible to buy trousers. Even shirt sleeves are all too long.
I'm the type of figure that greatly benefits from a more classic cut, and an experienced tailor, either to take the measurements and have MTM, or to do proper Bespoke. Just make sure you don't get swayed into a too modern or too old fashioned cut.
Don't be discouraged, I made many bad purchases when I started out. Ten years latter I'm still trying to figure out if I prefer higher waisted pleated trousers or flat fronts :). You'll often find use for pieces that you aren't happy with atm further down the line.
I was wearing them down at my ankles far too often...
No, but seriously, it's important. FWIW, I'm 6'1 and have long legs as it is.
- Australian Members
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › Need Help Finding the Right Product for my Hairstyle 4 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Ralph Lauren Sale? 5 minutes ago
- › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 13 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 13 minutes ago
- › How would you like a girl to dress? 14 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 16 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw