or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1900

post #28486 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

I'm still a little puzzled about the adage on blues and greens. What's the traditional wisdom behind this?

My understanding is that it was a phrase that originated in relation to women's fashion.
post #28487 of 54784
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

I'm about 170 cm (not quite 6ft) and 71-72kg. I'm not rail thin, but I don't carry an exceptional amount of weight. Like many people, I'd probably benefit from eating less sugar and exercising a whole lot more, but genuinely I don't think the majority of my issues lie there.



Breaking this down, hopefully, is pretty easy. My clothes don't fit. If hey fit in the shoulders, the sleeves are too long, if the wasit is right, the arse is too big, if the length is right something else is wrong. While I'm getting better nothing really works and while, in some ways, the answer of 'use of competant alterations tailor' is fine, it doesn't essentially solve my issue: I make poor decisions and waste time, effort and money needlessly.

Specifically I can't seem to get the waist done very well. I work in an area where I often just wear a shirt and pants (due to heat) which really draws attention to how the pants and shirt fit in the waist. I think with a cardgan or V neck I look about 1000000 times better, because they hide the most problematic area: where the pants and the shirt meet.

While the find yourself advice is valid, it's also a bit too simple. If I was just trying to be me I'd wear sneakers and denim and t shirts all day every day and no worries. The point is, I don't dress the way that I would, because I can't (are there that many people that would, without work dress codes) dress the way they do? I don't think so. Most people are trying to look like the best version of themselves that they can, in the context they are dressing in, and that usually means opting out of what's 'natural' and opting into what's 'better'.

While I hear you in the sense that authenticity is required, I don't think th aings are that simple. I also think we can be a lot more directed when buying/wearing things and not wasting time, energy and moeny in the process to the same extent someone who's aimlessly finding themselves usually does. All IMO of course. Nothing's black and white, etc. I am probably overthinking.



As soon as I own something that fits fantastically I'll do exactly that. OJ is close with shirts, but the sleeves are too long and a few other things.

Thanks for the adivce guys, I'll continue to try smile.gif.
ontinue to try smile.gif.
[/quote]
[/SPOILER]

I think you're just in that difficult middle phase where you've learnt enough to realise your existing clothes don't fit well, but you haven't yet found ways around the fit problems posed by your particular body shape. Being in Australia (and especially not in a capital city) makes it all much more difficult, because you can't easily try a bunch of good quality stuff on, and you don't enjoy the free shipping and returns they get in the US.

For me, I realised fairly early on that OTR shirts were never going to fit me (due to my monkey arms), so I abandoned them completely and went down the online MTM route. It's not exactly easy or cheap, but IMO it's worth it in the long run if you don't fit the standard neck/sleeve ratios.

Jackets are almost always too short in the arm for me if they fit in the shoulders/chest, so I look for jackets without surgeon's cuffs and some extra material in the sleeve to let out, then get them tailored.

For trousers I am an easy fit anyway, but I found that Howard Yount fit me really well, so now they are pretty much all I buy.

So: my advice is to work out what your particular fit problems are, and then find ways to solve them, one by one. For me this is what being 'directed' means, and over time, it works.
post #28488 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Also, a colleague of mine, who recently got engaged to his very pleasant vegan girlfriend, has a new challenge: finding good looking work shoes that are not made of leather (the vegan issue comes into play here).

 

I'll be doing some looking around on the internet on my own, but very interested to hear from you guys as well.

 

The idea might offend some senses, but this is a real issue, I reckon. Also, let's try to keep his fiance out of the discussion.

 

Okay, the best I could find was Moo Shoes in NYC. The universe of badly designed shoes is vast indeed.

 

Keyword search of synthetic leather, artificial leather, pleather.

post #28489 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Also, a colleague of mine, who recently got engaged to his very pleasant vegan girlfriend, has a new challenge: finding good looking work shoes that are not made of leather (the vegan issue comes into play here).

I'll be doing some looking around on the internet on my own, but very interested to hear from you guys as well.

The idea might offend some senses, but this is a real issue, I reckon. Also, let's try to keep his fiance out of the discussion.

G'day Nabil

I found these with a quick google search

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/mens___unisex_shoes/10022_60c.html

http://www.mooshoes.com/index.php?c=16

http://vegankicks.com/tag/dress-shoes/

Styling wise the selection is pretty limited, however I reckon you might be able to find some canvas oxfords pretty easily. I think Rachel Comey (sp?) makes some decent ones though I've never seen them in real life let alone tried them on. Canvas oxfords would make for an interesting textural contrast.

LPS
post #28490 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

I'm still a little puzzled about the adage on blues and greens. What's the traditional wisdom behind this?

I was educated early on about not combining black and brown in the one outfit, but I'd not heard "Blue and green should never be seen, except with something in between" until a colleague of mind recited it to me recently when he saw me wearing a sky blue shirt, navy blue blazer and mid-green knit tie. I paid him no heed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Also, a colleague of mine, who recently got engaged to his very pleasant vegan girlfriend, has a new challenge: finding good looking work shoes that are not made of leather (the vegan issue comes into play here).

I'll be doing some looking around on the internet on my own, but very interested to hear from you guys as well.

The idea might offend some senses, but this is a real issue, I reckon. Also, let's try to keep his fiance out of the discussion.

I remember reading an interview with Peter Singer - the noted and controversial philosopher and vegan - where he talked about wearing non-animal shoes. I think that I also remember reading that Doc Martens make some non-leather shoes, but that would only be of interest if the person in question likes the style of Doc Marten shoes.
post #28491 of 54784
nabilmust is that blackwatch tie silk or wool? I've found one I like but too narrow at 7cm ):
post #28492 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

I'm still a little puzzled about the adage on blues and greens. What's the traditional wisdom behind this?

I tried it without knowing of its existence. Would be happy to hear fxh's thoughts on the combinations:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
(I never seem to be able to get the White Balance right on these damn photos)



(Bonus Black Watch tartan for Romp)

I haven't ever thought a lot about it - except to avoid blue/green combos - especially when I was younger. As I saw it I think it was really about say wearing a green jumper or solid green shirt with say blue trousers (It would be navy - until recently no one thought of blue as being anything much except navy) No one would have worn green trousers. I don't think it was about ties. Ties are just a small break of colour.

As far as your pics above are concerned - i think the blackwatch and pocket hanky are fine - the second one I'm not keen on the PS at all - the tie is ok. I suppose.

Is the suit blue??

Anyway I don't think it applies to a light blue shirt and I don't think a tie is a solid wall of colour like a jumper or jacket.

I suspect as someone else said it was a handy rule of thumb and mainly for womens clothing.

I still don't like green clothing much.
post #28493 of 54784

Slightly off topic, but has anyone made overseas money transfer before, if so can help?

 

Short Story: Anyone bought from Vass before, if so who did you use for Money Transfer?

 

Long Version:

 

I'm try to pay for shoes from Vass, I was quoted a price in EURO which I am happy with and am trying to pay this amount right now. For those who don't know, Vass only accepts bank transfer, not Credit Card, Paypal or other means. Westpac (my bank) conversion rate is a bit unreasonable to say the least, and transaction fee is $20. I tried Western Union, more reasonable rate, $10 fee, but they only let you send money to Hungary in HUF or USD, not in EURO which I find strange. 

 

I sent an email to Vass asking if HUF or USD is acceptable, and if so how much, but as I was quoted in EUROS, I would much rather pay in this currency and be done with. Also, due to time difference, not to the fault of either side, replies take almost a day (especially if I just miss the business hours window). So any other alternatives to Western Union?

post #28494 of 54784
Theres a pretty big market around for vegetarian shoes. Not that I'd eat them anyway.

A search should toss something up.
post #28495 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Also, a colleague of mine, who recently got engaged to his very pleasant vegan girlfriend, has a new challenge: finding good looking work shoes that are not made of leather (the vegan issue comes into play here).

I'll be doing some looking around on the internet on my own, but very interested to hear from you guys as well.

The idea might offend some senses, but this is a real issue, I reckon. Also, let's try to keep his fiance out of the discussion.

This is weird I have been a herbivore for years and still wear leather shoes and jackets I don't see an issue with it. The animal is dead I am not eating it so what?

I know a couple of Hindus and a failed Krishna who have no problem with wearing leather. Mind you I have a couple of Jewish friends who love bacon. Fuck Vegans (no reference to the GF) they are a pain in the arse!
post #28496 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg626 View Post

Slightly off topic, but has anyone made overseas money transfer before, if so can help?

 

Short Story: Anyone bought from Vass before, if so who did you use for Money Transfer?

 

Long Version:

 

I'm try to pay for shoes from Vass, I was quoted a price in EURO which I am happy with and am trying to pay this amount right now. For those who don't know, Vass only accepts bank transfer, not Credit Card, Paypal or other means. Westpac (my bank) conversion rate is a bit unreasonable to say the least, and transaction fee is $20. I tried Western Union, more reasonable rate, $10 fee, but they only let you send money to Hungary in HUF or USD, not in EURO which I find strange. 

 

I sent an email to Vass asking if HUF or USD is acceptable, and if so how much, but as I was quoted in EUROS, I would much rather pay in this currency and be done with. Also, due to time difference, not to the fault of either side, replies take almost a day (especially if I just miss the business hours window). So any other alternatives to Western Union?

 

I bought my first pair with a wire transfer through Commbank. I caught them doing free wire transfers for anything not AUD, which offset the crappy rates, plus it was easy. I'd be surprised if Rezso wasn't happy to take USD, but I agree you'd be better off trying to find someone who does Euro. Let me know if you find anything which will beat your bank.

post #28497 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

I'm about 170 cm (not quite 6ft) and 71-72kg. I'm not rail thin, but I don't carry an exceptional amount of weight. Like many people, I'd probably benefit from eating less sugar and exercising a whole lot more, but genuinely I don't think the majority of my issues lie there.

Breaking this down, hopefully, is pretty easy. My clothes don't fit. If hey fit in the shoulders, the sleeves are too long, if the wasit is right, the arse is too big, if the length is right something else is wrong. While I'm getting better nothing really works and while, in some ways, the answer of 'use of competant alterations tailor' is fine, it doesn't essentially solve my issue: I make poor decisions and waste time, effort and money needlessly.

Specifically I can't seem to get the waist done very well. I work in an area where I often just wear a shirt and pants (due to heat) which really draws attention to how the pants and shirt fit in the waist. I think with a cardgan or V neck I look about 1000000 times better, because they hide the most problematic area: where the pants and the shirt meet.

While the find yourself advice is valid, it's also a bit too simple. If I was just trying to be me I'd wear sneakers and denim and t shirts all day every day and no worries. The point is, I don't dress the way that I would, because I can't (are there that many people that would, without work dress codes) dress the way they do? I don't think so. Most people are trying to look like the best version of themselves that they can, in the context they are dressing in, and that usually means opting out of what's 'natural' and opting into what's 'better'.

While I hear you in the sense that authenticity is required, I don't think th aings are that simple. I also think we can be a lot more directed when buying/wearing things and not wasting time, energy and moeny in the process to the same extent someone who's aimlessly finding themselves usually does. All IMO of course. Nothing's black and white, etc. I am probably overthinking.

As soon as I own something that fits fantastically I'll do exactly that. OJ is close with shirts, but the sleeves are too long and a few other things.

Thanks for the adivce guys, I'll continue to try smile.gif.

I didn't mean "find yourself" in a new age hippy Oprah way.

I think if I was dressing you in person ( twice the usual fee for Mildura) I'd start with where you are at.
Get some nice denim and sneakers that fit then just up the voltage/tailored look a bit. Same brand, same size, and fit - chinos. Maybe a bit looser. Polo shirts instead of Ts. Spiffy leather sneakers, or nice skater shoes. Then blue OCBD to go with smart "dress" jeans and chinos. Pair of dark brown country brogues shoes. Or RMs boots.

You might be wearing shirts that are too short in the tail?

I don't know what you dress code is. I've always dressed how I want irrespective of dress codes - but then I've had a wide range of what I don't mind wearing. I've actually had to set dress codes. I've only ever sent 3 people home to change after many years. But I've had many a quiet word to supervisors about them have a quiet word to their staff. Mainly about terrible sloppy dress thats obvious to all.

With trousers - arse vs waist - its more important to get the bum /crutch to fit as you can alter the waist in or out easier.

Jackets - yes shoulders are important. But you shouldn't have any big problem getting a L in a jacket with enough sleeve length. With jackets - you really just have to try a lot on to find what works. Theres no short cut.

You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

A tobias said you might be just in that awkward bit between the old learning and making the leap to new learning. Think of it like Teaching/learning theory.
post #28498 of 54784

Thanks for the clarification FHX.

post #28499 of 54784

Thanks for everyone who's chimed in regarding the shoes.

 

I think the slight difference between yourself, Geoff, and my colleague's fiance is that she's vegan, not just a herbivore (which I take it to mean 'vegetarian'). My colleague is just doing what he can to accommodate his fiance's beliefs.

post #28500 of 54784
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I haven't ever thought a lot about it - except to avoid blue/green combos - especially when I was younger. As I saw it I think it was really about say wearing a green jumper or solid green shirt with say blue trousers (It would be navy - until recently no one thought of blue as being anything much except navy) No one would have worn green trousers. I don't think it was about ties. Ties are just a small break of colour.

As far as your pics above are concerned - i think the blackwatch and pocket hanky are fine - the second one I'm not keen on the PS at all - the tie is ok. I suppose.

Is the suit blue??

Anyway I don't think it applies to a light blue shirt and I don't think a tie is a solid wall of colour like a jumper or jacket.

I suspect as someone else said it was a handy rule of thumb and mainly for womens clothing.

I still don't like green clothing much.
Brown and blue will never do and red in the night, sailor's delight; red in the morning, sailor's warning.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members