or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 190

post #2836 of 51865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro View Post
I think '6' meant these

That's a bingo. I was under the impression these were referred to as "lasted".

I wasn't referring to those offered by shoemakers which come in the exact last of the shoe which Journeyman was talking about (although, I might look into those if I am big-time enough one day to upgrade to some G&G's or John Lobbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
My shoe trees are all in the former style, which I think is preferable by far.

All of the Florsheim shoe trees that I have seen at DJs etc have the latter style, which typically doesn't fill the shoe up as well, and which can also deform the back of the shoe as the end of the shoe tree is not rounded.

Very true. However, I do use Florsheim styled ones for my loafers because I feel the "lasted"(correct me if I am using the wrong term here) ones stretch them out a bit too much at the top.
post #2837 of 51865
Quote:
Originally Posted by "6" View Post
That's a bingo. I was under the impression these were referred to as "lasted".

Very true. However, I do use Florsheim styled ones for my loafers because I feel the "lasted"(correct me if I am using the wrong term here) ones stretch them out a bit too much at the top.

6, I don't think that the correct term is "lasted", as that specifically means that they have been made to conform to a particular last by a particular shoe-maker.

Having said that, though, I have no idea how to actually refer to that type of shoe-tree!
post #2838 of 51865
I would call them full-foot shoe trees.
post #2839 of 51865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
6, I don't think that the correct term is "lasted", as that specifically means that they have been made to conform to a particular last by a particular shoe-maker.

Having said that, though, I have no idea how to actually refer to that type of shoe-tree!

I stand corrected. Just found this thread, which talks about lasted trees, and it is what you had described Journeyman. Makes sense I guess.

So I was referring to "generic" full-foot (jobro, 2011) shoe trees, which is what Herring shoes sell and what I use.

Might check out what the store at the block arcade has tomorrow and report back.
post #2840 of 51865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro View Post
I think '6' meant these


I take it that these were not bought in Australia and if so which site did you get them from, how much with shipping?

thanks
post #2841 of 51865
Day off today for the GF's birthday. On the way down to the local newsagent to get the last minute and forgotten birthday card I swung by the local op shop. Pretty much nothing clothing wise (there was a tie with potential, until I touched it and realsied it was 100% polyester), but I did stumble upon a wine colored buffalo hide breifcase for a rather cheap rice. I didn't have my phone on me or I would have taken a photo. The condition seemed quite well and would probably come right quite nice with a little bit of care.

Wondering if I should go back and pick it up? It had buckle straps rather then clips to close it and had two (what I would call) 'patch' pockets on the front. It looked a little like this but with two pockets at the front. How practical would this be in a business environment?
post #2842 of 51865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post
I take it that these were not bought in Australia and if so which site did you get them from, how much with shipping? thanks
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=225925 You can check shipping on the site before submitting an order. I pay around $50 for shoe trees locally, so it works out cheaper through Cedarville (including shipping).
post #2843 of 51865
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKstar View Post
Day off today for the GF's birthday. On the way down to the local newsagent to get the last minute and forgotten birthday card I swung by the local op shop. Pretty much nothing clothing wise (there was a tie with potential, until I touched it and realsied it was 100% polyester), but I did stumble upon a wine colored buffalo hide breifcase for a rather cheap rice. I didn't have my phone on me or I would have taken a photo. The condition seemed quite well and would probably come right quite nice with a little bit of care.

Wondering if I should go back and pick it up? It had buckle straps rather then clips to close it and had two (what I would call) 'patch' pockets on the front. It looked a little like this but with two pockets at the front. How practical would this be in a business environment?
Depends on what line of work you are in. If you are a lawyer and constantly digging into your bag for files those buckles could become a hassle; if you only access your briefcase once or twice a day it's not a big deal.

If it were me though, unless it was something I was after I'd pass and save my money for something I really wanted - like this.
post #2844 of 51865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6";4130118]Not familiar with that brand - google search pulled up [URL="http://www.rabanser.com/es/dinamic.asp?content=marche&lista=marche&Lingua=eng&chiave=Bello
this[/url]. Is that it? Can't say I'm a fan of the designs though - mainly because I could never pull these off.

Good places to start looking for men's shoes in Melbourne:

1) McCloud's shoes
2) DJ's Bourke St mall men's shoe department

can also add:

3) Beggar Man Thief (sth melbourne) to that list as well.
They stock Loakes (only 1880) & Grensons + a range of casual shoes & hats/socks as well
Great guys working there as well, one of them is heading to England to spend some time in the Loake factory as well.
post #2845 of 51865
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKstar View Post
Day off today for the GF's birthday. On the way down to the local newsagent to get the last minute and forgotten birthday card I swung by the local op shop.


Now this is a man with the right priorities - well planned enough to get a day off for GFs birthday (is that in the EBA?) but not well planned enough to get a card.
post #2846 of 51865
This might interest some of you. Over at Devil's Island I have a thread on which I post good pictures of examples of clothing from early (ish) days in Australia. The best pictures are actually Sydney police mugshots from the 1920s.

Its easy enough to find pictures of the ascendancy and well off as this is the most recorded. I'm interested in what the well dressed street wear of the ordinary men was.

post #2847 of 51865
I was in Australia last summer and I kinda liked the style there instead.
It was different and to me it was a nice change from what I am used to.
OK maybe it is because of the fact that I am too use to the same thing back here in the states so I thought or I think the style in Australia was nice. Now you say talk about it I kind start to reconsider my view on the subject.
post #2848 of 51865
^^^Compare with dress of Melbourne gangster:

post #2849 of 51865
Do these very large pictures cause a problem for anyone?
post #2850 of 51865
FXH, Wasn't there an exhibition going around Australia a year or two back featuring old mug shots and police records? I always meant to see it but never got around to it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members