or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1885

post #28261 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post



BTW, tried the sky blue summer chambray from Luxire (the mob in India) and I'm sorry to say It didn't do anything for me. Fabric feels dry and insubstantial; wrinkles a lot as well. Not sure if it's 1 or 2 ply (I suspect the former). Of course, at the low price point, one can't complain too much. Will think twice before pulling the trigger again, however.

Wish you had mentioned you were getting this fabric, and I would've told you to avoid it. That fabric, and it's cousin the Blue Summer Chambray, are the worst Luxire fabrics out of the 30 or 40 swatches I have. They almost feel synthetic. I can't understand why they stock them, they aren't suitable for shirting at all.

Having said that, they really are the only disappointing fabrics I have received. The rest are great. You got unlucky.

This one is much, much nicer:

http://luxire.com/products/light-blue-twill-chambray

Let me know if you want any more recommendations.
post #28262 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

In some ways, dressing casually for the rain is a lot more difficult than dressing formally for the rain.

Interesting you say that. As I am a recent Uni graduate, and spent a year working in a casual workplace environment, I have many coats that can be worn casually in cold weather, and a couple in wet weather. So, my experience has been the opposite of yours LachyZee.

I don't like lugging around an umbrella when out, so sometimes just take to wearing hats smile.gif

A question for all, do your business shirts have a placket or not?
post #28263 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

How are the other Melbourne SF members going with the change in weather? Perhaps a catch up is in order soon?

As for the weather, I know I'll be pulling out the flannels very soon.

 

I'll be down between the 1st-3rd if people are free. Or maybe on the 11th/12th of April if that's easier.

 

Would love to meet up, many new people to see. I can't make the trunk show, unfortunately.

post #28264 of 52384

^Definite placket for Oxfords and less formal casual shirting (thicker textured), no placket for the thinnest of fabrics, sweet in between with the everydays (poplins, twills etc.). All so have my linen shirts without placket even though they are textured and very casual as I find the extra bulk to not suit the look of linen.

post #28265 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Interesting you say that. As I am a recent Uni graduate, and spent a year working in a casual workplace environment, I have many coats that can be worn casually in cold weather, and a couple in wet weather. So, my experience has been the opposite of yours LachyZee.

I don't like lugging around an umbrella when out, so sometimes just take to wearing hats smile.gif

A question for all, do your business shirts have a placket or not?

Do your nicer coats have hoods, though? I don't like getting a wet head, and I look silly in hats satisfied.gif

RE Plackets

I have both placket and non-placket, and I think it hardly makes a difference.

If anything, I come down on the side of having a placket, as it just seems to give the shirt a sturdier construction at the front.

Also if you ever plan on taking your tie off, I think the look of a placket is a bit nicer.

Pocketed shirts should always have a placket, though, IMO. Some people might also argue the reverse, but I don't really think it makes any difference whatsoever.

The only time I would probably not get a placket is with french cuffs - no placket and french cuffs works well.
post #28266 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post


Interesting you say that. As I am a recent Uni graduate, and spent a year working in a casual workplace environment, I have many coats that can be worn casually in cold weather, and a couple in wet weather. So, my experience has been the opposite of yours LachyZee.

I don't like lugging around an umbrella when out, so sometimes just take to wearing hats smile.gif

A question for all, do your business shirts have a placket or not?

 

Same here  - my two (hooded) duffel coats work well for formal and casual situations and my m65 and bomber jackets also have hoods for those occasions where I don't want to carry an umbrella.

 

For formal situations, it's umbrella and a trenchcoat or raincoat.

post #28267 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

A question for all, do your business shirts have a placket or not?

For business shirts yes with casual shirts prefer sans placket.
post #28268 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

How are the other Melbourne SF members going with the change in weather? Perhaps a catch up is in order soon?

As for the weather, I know I'll be pulling out the flannels very soon.

I had the first outing of the Esprit field jacket that I grabbed off Asos for a song a while back. Pretty decent for the $70 or something I paid and a good investment to decide if I liked the general style or not.
post #28269 of 52384
Toronto-20130312-00094.jpg 319k .jpg file

 

Took delivery of 2 pairs from shoes snobs range, the black ones are the tony and the dark navy are the broadway, the picture doesn't do the shoes justice but i can tell you that they are absolutely stunning in real life and came beautifully presented in red boxes with individual shoes bags, i would honestly recommend his stuff, not only does he make amazing looking shoes, but he is a great guy and has great knowledge when it comes to shoes.

post #28270 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by swan View Post

Toronto-20130312-00094.jpg 319k .jpg file

 

Took delivery of 2 pairs from shoes snobs range, the black ones are the tony and the dark navy are the broadway, the picture doesn't do the shoes justice but i can tell you that they are absolutely stunning in real life and came beautifully presented in red boxes with individual shoes bags, i would honestly recommend his stuff, not only does he make amazing looking shoes, but he is a great guy and has great knowledge when it comes to shoes.

 

Those look very good. You happy with the fit?

post #28271 of 52384

^are the Tony's designed by Tony Gaziano? I remember him writing on his blog saying that Tony Gaziano helped him with the lasts.

post #28272 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Interesting you say that. As I am a recent Uni graduate, and spent a year working in a casual workplace environment, I have many coats that can be worn casually in cold weather, and a couple in wet weather. So, my experience has been the opposite of yours LachyZee.

I don't like lugging around an umbrella when out, so sometimes just take to wearing hats smile.gif

A question for all, do your business shirts have a placket or not?

Generally no placket

Placket on more casual shirts when im not wearing a tie
post #28273 of 52384
I always prefer a French front on my MTM shirts as I think it's a cleaner look, but if I see a nice one that fits well OTR somewhere with a regular placket it won't stop me buying it.

Interesting to hear some other's takes on this as I always thought a regular placket was more suited to wearing with a tie, as you can't see it, while a French front looks neater for wear without a tie.
post #28274 of 52384
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Wish you had mentioned you were getting this fabric, and I would've told you to avoid it. That fabric, and it's cousin the Blue Summer Chambray, are the worst Luxire fabrics out of the 30 or 40 swatches I have. They almost feel synthetic. I can't understand why they stock them, they aren't suitable for shirting at all.

Having said that, they really are the only disappointing fabrics I have received. The rest are great. You got unlucky.

This one is much, much nicer:

http://luxire.com/products/light-blue-twill-chambray

Let me know if you want any more recommendations.

This is pretty bad luck--I literally just ordered a shirt in the Blue Summer Chambray. Do you have any recommendations in the $60 range? Maybe I can catch it before it goes into production...

Thanks bra
post #28275 of 52384
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members