or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 189

post #2821 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post
There's a shop in the Block Arcade that sells quality shoe trees. Are you in Melbourne?

Is this Evans the shoe repair place? Or is there another place?
post #2822 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Tom Ford suits really aren't for every one. Spoo is an example where Tom Ford suits are perfect for in fit IMO though.
I like Tom Ford's stuff, but a lot of it is obviously high fashion rather than something you would take holus-bolus and wear everyday. Especially considering the price, I see his designs as much a source inspiration - something to borrow from - rather than a brand from which I would go out and buy entire outfits.

SpooPoker certainly looks sharp in the stuff though - I wish the TF stuff was as widely available here and not so ridiculously priced (once saw a pair of TF slacks for $2,200 at Harrolds, no kidding).
post #2823 of 57946
There were a lot of NWT Tom Ford suits on eBay a few months ago for about $1000 - $1500. They seem to have all vanished now. Most of them were in bold and daring checks or pin-stripes...lots of 3-piece suits too. I wouldn't mind having a Tom Ford suit (or a similarly cut suit) in the wardrobe on the days when I want to tell the world to 'get fucked!'
post #2824 of 57946
Tom Ford really knows how to accessorise...


http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...essons-learned
post #2825 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post
Not sure that Melbourne does have the upper hand over Sydney TBH. What's your issue with the location? Just because you guys have the harbour...
Please spare me over the effing harbour. And aside from that all you have to do is take a good stroll around town and even blind freddy will tell you Melbourne is better dressed than Sydney. And I left Sydney 13 years ago to become a tree changer mind you was there on Tuesday night to see RTF play the Opera House great show but first time I have ever seen a stadium concert staged in the Concert Hall.
post #2826 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by appolyon View Post
And when it comes to females, though it pains me to say this as a Melbournian, Sydney wins hands down. In general I think Sydney-siders just try harder.

As for wimen yes its all about flesh cleavage rules. But in general and I say this as a born and bred Sydneysider, although I don't live there any more but Melbournians have better style and fashion sense.

Maybe its the environment but I found when I lived in Melbourne men put more effort in to their appearance and displayed a greater wardrobe knowledge.
post #2827 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post
. It's all a part of the greatest country on Earth
post #2828 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post
There's a shop in the Block Arcade that sells quality shoe trees. Are you in Melbourne?

Are these lasted shoe trees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post
I'm buying a pair of Loakes from Pediwear for a friend. He'll also need a shoe tree.

Generally Pediwear gives you free trees for shoes >100 pounds but since this Loake model (253) isn't over 100 pounds in cost it will be 50 pounds extra to add a tree once I include the shipping for the tree.

I presume I can get a nice wooden shoe tree elsewhere (online or in store) for less than 50 pounds... anyone got some suggestions?

Also, is the included Loake Wax Polish any good?

Thanks

*edit*

I know Pediwear give you free polish with your first pair of Loakes as part of their Loake shoe club, does this happed with subsequent pairs? I presume it doesn't (I am a lvl 3 member so I already get a discount).

Get on to herring shoes and order as many shoe trees as you want. They offer flat rate shipping (I think it's 15 pounds). Go nuts. My order came in 1 week. Brilliantly fast.

Another option as someone mentioned is McClouds shoes, and David Jones Bourke Street Mall carries Florsheim cedar shoe trees. Although, these aren't lasted shoe trees so I avoid them personally.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post
Maybe its the environment but I found when I lived in Melbourne men put more effort in to their appearance and displayed a greater wardrobe knowledge.

+1

Maybe it's all the beaches in Sydney - that's why there's a bit of influence there to how blokes dress. I'm talking really generally - but I get the vibe that Melbourne men are a little dressier.
post #2829 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post
Is this Evans the shoe repair place? Or is there another place?

I think it is Evans. I actually got them from one of the operators, who sells them out of his shed (very Aussie way to do business).
post #2830 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6
Are these lasted shoe trees?
They wouldn't be, because different makers have different lasts (and, of course, each maker has several different lasts in their range). Therefore, it would be financially prohibitive for an outside supplier to carry "lasted" shoe trees as they would have to carry a large number of different trees for each brand, with no certainty that anyone would actually come in who wishes to buy shoes for, say, an EG 202 last or a C&J 337 last. I have a few pairs of shoes with lasted trees, but I must confess that the vast majority of my shoe trees are the Costco ones that were widely available on eBay a year or two back. I picked up about 15 pairs and they work very well with almost all my shoes - Barkers, Berluti, C&J, Loake, Alfred Sargent, Santoni and others. Lasted shoe trees are nice, but I don't think that it's worth obsessing over them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6
Get on to herring shoes and order as many shoe trees as you want. They offer flat rate shipping (I think it's 15 pounds). Go nuts. My order came in 1 week. Brilliantly fast.
I didn't realise that Herring shoes offered flat rate shipping - thanks for that. I will have to bear them in mind when I need some more shoe trees.
post #2831 of 57946
Is there a Barton Perreira stockist in Sydney? I've seen an inordinately high number of people wearing Swindlers and Gonzales' around town.
post #2832 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post
There's a shop in the Block Arcade that sells quality shoe trees. Are you in Melbourne?

How much do they go for at that place?
post #2833 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
They wouldn't be, because different makers have different lasts (and, of course, each maker has several different lasts in their range).

Therefore, it would be financially prohibitive for an outside supplier to carry "lasted" shoe trees as they would have to carry a large number of different trees for each brand, with no certainty that anyone would actually come in who wishes to buy shoes for, say, an EG 202 last or a C&J 337 last.

I think '6' meant these

rather than these
post #2834 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro View Post
I think '6' meant these

rather than these


My shoe trees are all in the former style, which I think is preferable by far.

All of the Florsheim shoe trees that I have seen at DJs etc have the latter style, which typically doesn't fill the shoe up as well, and which can also deform the back of the shoe as the end of the shoe tree is not rounded.
post #2835 of 57946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
My shoe trees are all in the former style, which I think is preferable by far. All of the Florsheim shoe trees that I have seen at DJs etc have the latter style, which typically doesn't fill the shoe up as well, and which can also deform the back of the shoe as the end of the shoe tree is not rounded.
I agree. The first are preferable. I have one pair of the Florsheims from DJ's that you mentioned which I rotate around my sock-less loafers and drivers after I've worn them. They're also handy to stretch/break in the heals of new shoes, especially suede drivers which seem to cut/blister me real bad when brand new.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members