or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1868

post #28006 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

 

Nice piece of background JM....

 

How does one get banned from SF?

 

Actually my next question might get me banned..... In regards to Zegna suiting how do they stack up in terms of construction, quality. Are they generally cut on a conservative block or more tapered? I have been eyeing off a few Zegna DB's. It appears most DB's have a chalk/pin stripe of some sort, does that mean that's the ideal look of the DB?

 

Dusty

 

My experience with Zegna is up until about 2011.  

 

The Zegna Milano block (if it still is around since I last checked), is a contemporary classic.  Mainline fabrics are always excellent, and the construction is of high quality (albeit machine made).  Depending on the block, they have a varying amounts of padding.The Zegna silhouette, especially around the lower chest to the waist, to me is fantastic, although not as trendy as many here prefer.  For my taste, they are certainly a better suit than most of the RTW, MTM lines and even Bespoke options often discussed here.

 

However, Zegna mainline is overpriced as compared to a brand like Isaia.  Additionally, Zegna are becoming ever more a fashion label, removing supply to small stores that carried them when they were little known in Australia.  They seem to be abandoning their core values, and little is made in Italy any more.  I don't think I'll buy Zegna products in the near future, as you can probably find better quality products for less and still made in Italy (if that is important to you).

post #28007 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

Romp, are you planing to offer a more versatile range of English fabrics than PJT?
What are you considering? The beauty of our model is that we can do pretty much anything but at the same time we dont want to overwhelm the Suit Shop customer with too much choice. For that reason we are starting off with a "distilled" selection which basically means practical/popular cloths that are well suited to our climate. Heavy tweeds and flannels for example just wouldnt make alot of sense here.

Not having access to Harrisons / Minis / Lesser / smith woolens / W Bill ect. is just somewhat limiting in terms of options (If I don't want the Dugdale option I'm in trouble re: English style fabrics) that puts me off PJT. I'd have to decided on exactly what I want next before I could give you exact cloth details... Also Canberra winters re: the last part.
post #28008 of 53730

Rob

 

As your greatest friend on this forum, I have to say that I am very skeptical. Who trusts people that work in finance anyway?

 

Perhaps you can do a trial run on me and then I could write a review for DB who is potentially your biggest client?

post #28009 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Rob

As your greatest friend on this forum, I have to say that I am very skeptical. Who trusts people that work in finance anyway?

Perhaps you can do a trial run on me and then I could write a review for DB who is potentially your biggest client?

Ha ha very funny!
post #28010 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredAstaire1899 View Post

My experience with Zegna is up until about 2011.  

The Zegna Milano block (if it still is around since I last checked), is a contemporary classic.  Mainline fabrics are always excellent, and the construction is of high quality (albeit machine made).  Depending on the block, they have a varying amounts of padding.The Zegna silhouette, especially around the lower chest to the waist, to me is fantastic, although not as trendy as many here prefer.  For my taste, they are certainly a better suit than most of the RTW, MTM lines and even Bespoke options often discussed here.

However, Zegna mainline is overpriced as compared to a brand like Isaia.  Additionally, Zegna are becoming ever more a fashion label, removing supply to small stores that carried them when they were little known in Australia.  They seem to be abandoning their core values, and little is made in Italy any more.  I don't think I'll buy Zegna products in the near future, as you can probably find better quality products for less and still made in Italy (if that is important to you).

Thanks for that Fred! Like many brands it appears Zegna may have dropped off quality control due to increased Market presence.

All it does is hurt the brand. Guess the masses don't mind, can't tell a thang!
post #28011 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Rob

As your greatest friend on this forum, I have to say that I am very skeptical. Who trusts people that work in finance anyway?

Perhaps you can do a trial run on me and then I could write a review for DB who is potentially your biggest client?

It'll be an honour to be Robs biggest client...

As for the title of Robs biggest stalker, that goes to you Michael Sy.....

Furthermore let me get this straight, you want to be Robs muse. Who do you think you are Twiggy?Jane Birkin? And heaven forbid Didier Cohen off that woeful program you hold dearly to your precious heart.
Edited by Dusty Brogues - 3/11/13 at 2:42pm
post #28012 of 53730
Back to work after a nice long weekend...


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Not too taken on the square fold today -

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Henry Carter
Tie: Henry Carter red knit w/ navy dots
PS: Random from Japan
Trousers: MBT
Shoes: Carmina Burgundy derby
post #28013 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Rob

 

As your greatest friend on this forum, I have to say that I am very skeptical. Who trusts people that work in finance anyway?

 

Perhaps you can do a trial run on me and then I could write a review for DB who is potentially your biggest client?

 

Now that I have met Michael in person, this is even funnier.

post #28014 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Now that I have met Michael in person, this is even funnier.

hahah so true - i ran into mike yesterday actually, small world.

btw nabil - what watch were you wearing on fri night, i didn't get a proper look.
post #28015 of 53730

Nice one, Jason!

 

Today:

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Suit: Benjamin by ehaberdasher

Shirt: Borrelli

Tie: High Tied black knit

PS: Kent Wang white linen

Shoes: Crockett and Jones Connaught

 

post #28016 of 53730

Simple, easy to read piece: http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-details/2013/02/rules-of-style-ovadia-sons.html

 

I've been keeping an eye out for the Ovadia brothers have been rather for a while now. I've been a fan of their sense of style - which isn't conservative, but stays safely away from peacock-ing, IMHO.

 

Of course, there are bound to be people who will inevitably disagre; that's the backbone of discourse.

post #28017 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-banger View Post


hahah so true - i ran into mike yesterday actually, small world.

btw nabil - what watch were you wearing on fri night, i didn't get a proper look.

 

I think it was the 16610 sub, on a black NATO strap.

post #28018 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Simple, easy to read piece: http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-details/2013/02/rules-of-style-ovadia-sons.html

I've been keeping an eye out for the Ovadia brothers have been rather for a while now. I've been a fan of their sense of style - which isn't conservative, but stays safely away from peacock-ing, IMHO.


Of course, there are bound to be people who will inevitably disagre; that's the backbone of discourse.

I have a few of their ties I'm looking at unloading if you're keen!
post #28019 of 53730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post


I have a few of their ties I'm looking at unloading if you're keen!

 

No harm looking!

post #28020 of 53730
I've recently started wearing braces, and have come to like them quite a lot. Problem is, they seem to slip down my shoulders. These are standard X backed braces by Thurston. I can't really tighten them any more, since they would then cause the back of my trousers to pull in an unseemly manner, and also would pull up my pants too high in relation to my shoes. My pants were not cut specifcally with braces in mind (they have the proper buttons, though), but nevertheless are quite high rise and have a loose-ish waist.

Ideally, it seems that the braces would sit a 3 inches or so from your collar on your shoulder (so that they are sort of in a straight line in relation to where they are buttoned onto the trousers), but mine seem to slip down towards the end of my shoulders as the day goes by.

By way of a crude diagram, instead of looking like this: I I, they look like this \ /.

Reading around a little, it seems that this is a somewhat inevitable consequence of having sloped shoulders.

Braces wearers: any input? Am I just not wearing them tight enough? I suppose I could get the next pair of trousers cut with an even higher rise and longer inseam, but I think I'd be veering dangerously into Harry Highpants territory.

Some solutions that I saw mentioned are fishtail trousers, or at least trousers with a curved waistband to raise the back. I also read that Y braces can help, though I don't quite see how this would help myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members