or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1840

post #27586 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

House prices in Sydney are not going to be chopped by 40% in the next 10 years.

 

That much is for sure.

 

Which is quite shitty, because young guys like me aren't given a chance.

Why can't they fall 40%? They said the same thing about the US, Japan, Europe, etc

 

House prices are overvalued, but they can stay that way for a long time. Look at any measure, prices to disposbale income, mortgage debt to GDP, interest to disposable income (especially when you think that rates are very low), etc. Why do you think retail sales are suffering? It's not because people are shopping overseas, but consumers are beginning to realise that they have too much debt and would be ruined if they lost their job in this environment.

 

The biggest driver of house price declines would sharp rises in unemployment - driven from a major slowdown in China perhaps? I wouldn't be surprised if we had a Japan like situation where real prices were negative and with low to zero nominal growth.

post #27587 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post


600K + where I am in inner north the only good thing about Dr No being elected is the potential price drop in housing in Canberra that and the rape of the public service which will inevitably occur post election.

I really think we shd steer clear of politics. I dont want to get into arguments of rape of private sector versus rape of public service, and Dr No versus Mrs Juliar.

post #27588 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

I really think we shd steer clear of politics. I dont want to get into arguments

Agreed. But this caught my eye (moving from politics to style).



http://www.gq.com.au/life/people/galleries/gq+a+with+malcolm+turnbull,23356?pos=0#top
post #27589 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

I really think we shd steer clear of politics. I dont want to get into arguments of rape of private sector versus rape of public service, and Dr No versus Mrs Juliar.
Can we change the subject and talk about religion?
post #27590 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

Can we change the subject and talk about religion?

Only if we are talking about The Pope's red socks.
post #27591 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Agreed. But this caught my eye (moving from politics to style).



http://www.gq.com.au/life/people/galleries/gq+a+with+malcolm+turnbull,23356?pos=0#top
Turnbull used to get his suits from John Serafino in Double Bay (now in Pitt St). Not sure if he still does.

Personally I always thought John's suits were overpriced for what they were, but at least he knows customer service.
post #27592 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

As you implied you probably need to live further out if you wish to have a larger dwelling. I'd also suggest that Australia has too much urban sprawl as it is so this may not be a bad thing...

As for earnings in a dual income household of median income you're looking at ~55k each post tax (70k pre). Obviously this is somewhat harder on a single income (150k pre). A lazy repayment estimate suggests that you'd have plenty with normal repayments on a sensible term.

Plestor,

Doesn't the bolded part above contain a contradiction? Given that most people seem to want to have larger dwellings, they are moving further out so that they can afford to purchase property, which is contributing to urban sprawl as a consequence. Our urban sprawl is getting worse, not getting better. Of course, it's always possible that I've just missed the point that you're making and, if so, I apologise.

Also, I thought that the 2012 census stated that median household income for Australia was about $1450 per week. That's for the entire household, not for each wage-earner in the household. That then yields a gross annual household income of a hair under $76 000. If you're looking at a loan of $400 000 at 6% interest, you'd be repaying $24 000 in interest alone in the first year of the loan - arguably not easy for a household with a gross income of $76k, which probably also has a car loan, childcare fees and so on and so forth.
post #27593 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Get this one:

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portofino/IW3565/

No bullshit. Stylish and elegant. Fxh kind of watch.
No way - this is fxh's kind of watch:

post #27594 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

No way - this is fxh's kind of watch:


Nah, way too expensive - unless you saw this at the Salvos.
post #27595 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Agreed. But this caught my eye (moving from politics to style).



http://www.gq.com.au/life/people/galleries/gq+a+with+malcolm+turnbull,23356?pos=0#top

Fuck the Medicis, that man is a spineless toad think of the great job he did with the Republican movement.

And Petepan my comment was not political but social.

And yes I am ordering some pope socks for winter.

So no more politics or religion from me.
post #27596 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

As you implied you probably need to live further out if you wish to have a larger dwelling. I'd also suggest that Australia has too much urban sprawl as it is so this may not be a bad thing...

As for earnings in a dual income household of median income you're looking at ~55k each post tax (70k pre). Obviously this is somewhat harder on a single income (150k pre). A lazy repayment estimate suggests that you'd have plenty with normal repayments on a sensible term.

Plestor,

Doesn't the bolded part above contain a contradiction? Given that most people seem to want to have larger dwellings, they are moving further out so that they can afford to purchase property, which is contributing to urban sprawl as a consequence. Our urban sprawl is getting worse, not getting better. Of course, it's always possible that I've just missed the point that you're making and, if so, I apologise.
Separate points; I don't think one *should* do that. This doesn't mean you can't absolve the lack of yard by moving out if one really wants to (not that you should!).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Also, I thought that the 2012 census stated that median household income for Australia was about $1450 per week. That's for the entire household, not for each wage-earner in the household. That then yields a gross annual household income of a hair under $76 000. If you're looking at a loan of $400 000 at 6% interest, you'd be repaying $24 000 in interest alone in the first year of the loan - arguably not easy for a household with a gross income of $76k, which probably also has a car loan, childcare fees and so on and so forth.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/6302.0main+features3Nov%202012
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/12F07AC07AEF2243CA2572C1002449C9?opendocument
No thats PP. My numbers were actually low then...

N.b I know the median household is nowhere near 2x median wage (which is about 2k/week without looking it up again)... This is tight on a 500k@7.5%@30y loan to be entirely fair, given the location I don't think this is a problem. Using your numbers it should be fine tho.


Eta:
Why would one ever have a car loan? Let alone living in (relatively) inner city Sydney....
post #27597 of 48599

Gents, a heads-up,

 

A few weeks back I posted pics of my new shoes from Robinson's in Northern Ireland. Their own brand are indeed splendid shoes, thus:

 

 

 

I anticipate that they will probably have a St. Patrick's Day sale.

 

If anyone were thinking of purchasing from them, I would contact them now to consult about sizing, (you'll find the boss, Robin, is very helpful) and then wait for the sale to purchase.

 

Just a thought.

 

Cheers,

 

Eightace

post #27598 of 48599
how long did you guys take to get to a $100k salary? Whether it be after school/uni etc
post #27599 of 48599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Socks View Post

Agreed. But this caught my eye (moving from politics to style).



http://www.gq.com.au/life/people/galleries/gq+a+with+malcolm+turnbull,23356?pos=0#top

That is the man that will get Austalia back on track...
post #27600 of 48599
I'd be just a tiny bit surprised if Robinsons had a St Pat's Day sale seeing they are in NI and prices in GBP not EU.

I also didn't see any of their shoe models named The De Valera Suede Wolf Tone, or the Micheal Collins Country Brogue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members