or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1835

post #27511 of 55952

Only on one condition though Sy, don't spend all your time fluffing through Rob's jock drawer! Even if you wear them on the outside of your Taracosh strides you won't be a superhero....
post #27512 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post


Only on one condition though Sy, don't spend all your time fluffing through Rob's jock drawer! Even if you wear them on the outside of your Taracosh strides you won't be a superhero....

crackup[1].gif

 

I've got no comeback for that one. Well played.

post #27513 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

Only on one condition though Sy, don't spend all your time fluffing through Rob's jock drawer! Even if you wear them on the outside of your Taracosh strides you won't be a superhero....


I don't even want to think what "fluffing" could be a metaphor for in this situation...
post #27514 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post


That's good to hear but I know a few other members (LonerMatt I think?) have had a lot of problems of late with no confirmation of shipping and emails, PM's etc un-answered for weeks. I've also not had any problems in the past and knowing the reputation Jamison has, I'm sure the delays and issues will be short lived but still, bad service is bad service regardless of the product.

 

To be fair, the problem lies with USPS and not Jamison, and I was clearly the exception.

 

That said, it seemed that he took awhile (3,4 5 days) to respond to emails. While I'm sure part of that was that my issues weren't pressing (hell, USPS might get it's shit in gear and deliver tomorrow), the communication was slow.

 

Overwhelmingly, though, he does things right. I would order from him again (he refunded me completely and simply trusted me that if the package arrived I'd contact him, which I respect), and presumably things would be better.

 

 

Quote:

Are people going to stop wanting to live in Sydney?

 

Does the government have a plan to clear vasts amounts of 1800 terraces and put in apartment blocks?

 

Then the bubble is not going to burst. People think that there was a housing bubble because of credit....blah blah blah......I don't see many empty houses in the Inner-West.

 

The most deliberately ignorant statement I've read in awhile. Could quote statements like this from oh so many people who claimed prices have reached a new high. Nothing is forever and no one can predict the future.

post #27515 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

Yeah like the Portofino's and the Portuguese are beautiful too. But I like owning a house even more, so it'll be a while before I ever fork out for one.

 

+1. Except replace 'owning a house' with 'saving money for stuff that matters'.

 

Watches are one of those things I really do not understand (like all jewlery) - I can see the beauty, but I can not see th value.

post #27516 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

crackup%5B1%5D.gif

I've got no comeback for that one. Well played.

No come back?! That has to be a first haha... Now here's my proposal... On the subject of Mr Porter I challenge you to create your most appalling ensemble together to achieve a placement on the Mr Porter comp site. Its a pity your Canuck skivvies havent arrived you could have channeled a homage to David Schwimmer, to top it off l will even vote for you my good man
post #27517 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

or even NOMOS. they make nice watched.

 

Amen. I've tried a Nomos Tangente on in the flesh, and fuck me sideways it's gorgeous. 

post #27518 of 55952
1. IWC
2. Stowa
3. NOMO
4. - 73. Anything other than that thing Petepan

Save the $ and do it right the first time.
post #27519 of 55952
Save the money petepan, and buy the IWC. Seriously when the economy goes to shit, and you lose your job, and your friends are broke and your wife might even leave you (god forbid i hope this doesn't happen) and take half of what you own. If you buy the watch she won't have the chance to take anything away.
Edited by AriGold - 3/3/13 at 10:01pm
post #27520 of 55952
Anyone who suggests that house prices might not go up forever at a faster rate than average incomes is UNAUSTRALIAN
post #27521 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

1. IWC
2. Stowa
3. NOMO
4. - 73. Anything other than that thing Petepan

Save the $ and do it right the first time.

 

Out of interest - why are you rating Stowa above Nomos? I was trying to do a comparison for a dress watch and ended up favouring the Nomos, even though it's nearly 2x the price

post #27522 of 55952

Wow!  Thanks for the replies people.

 

Looks like I have bad taste in watches. shog[1].gif

 

Honestly, one reason why I considered that was because there was no brand name on it plus it is below $1k.  Just personally for me,  I hate the "look at Moi, look at Moi" feel of big MFking brand names (horses comes to mind, a lot), and somehow, being a bastard that I am, I somehow feel that I should be the one paid for parading the brand around.  One of the Seiko's (cannot remember model number) with blue hands would be nice IF they removed Seiko from it.

 

I currently wear a Mont Blanc chronograph (nothing fancy, still goes on the Valjoux movement, not the fancy dandy Minerva), and the brand name is small-ass.

 

Nabil, I hate the studs too, but figured I can always change that. But you are from ACS, so I really should not be talking to you. fight[1].gif

 

I am a shares man myself, not so much into property, although I do own property.  Any other shares man here?  

post #27523 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRubbery View Post

Out of interest - why are you rating Stowa above Nomos? I was trying to do a comparison for a dress watch and ended up favouring the Nomos, even though it's nearly 2x the price

Because i'm a reselling conscious hack.. Part of the grey market appeal of the Stowa.

Nomos cost more because their movement is in-house, the dial and case are a higher quality finish and their standard strap is cordovan. The added cost is mostly down to the movement though.
post #27524 of 55952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

Wow!  Thanks for the replies people.

Looks like I have bad taste in watches. shog[1].gif


Honestly, one reason why I considered that was because there was no brand name on it plus it is below $1k.  Just personally for me,  I hate the "look at Moi, look at Moi" feel of big MFking brand names (horses comes to mind, a lot), and somehow, being a bastard that I am, I somehow feel that I should be the one paid for parading the brand around.  One of the Seiko's (cannot remember model number) with blue hands would be nice IF they removed Seiko from it.

I currently wear a Mont Blanc chronograph (nothing fancy, still goes on the Valjoux movement, not the fancy dandy Minerva), and the brand name is small-ass.

Nabil, I hate the studs too, but figured I can always change that. But you are from ACS, so I really should not be talking to you. 
fight[1].gif


I am a shares man myself, not so much into property, although I do own property.  Any other shares man here?  

Petepan,

There's nothing wrong with the design of the watch - it looks like a classic pilot's watch - except for the "we've been tricky and put the minutes on the outside of the dial" tomfoolery.

Were it not for that, I'd think it a nice watch. As it is, however, it's a gimmick.

If you're looking for a "brand-free" watch in that style, look for a Stowa "Fleiger" or an Archimede B-Uhren. The Stowa retails for 580 Euro if you're purchasing outside the EU, which is about $750, and the company has a long and genuine history of making pilot's watches. Furthermore, you can get them without a brand on the dial.

Edit: I just looked at the Stowa site and saw that they, too, have an "observer" model fleiger watch with the minutes around the outside, so I suppose that style could have historical precedent.

Anyway, the Stowa is a great watch at a great price.
post #27525 of 55952
All I can say vis a vis long term watch value is that many many dress watches from respected houses are at ~scrap values these days... Make of that what you will.


As for housing costs, while I would predict a decline at this point in time, I'd be very sceptical about significant growth. I'd also point out that much of the returns you see from home ownership has more to do with the very high leverage in domestic real estate vs other easily available asset classes.


On rises, I prefer something just below or on my natural waist for anything that I will consistently wear with some form of jacket (for both comfort and aesthetics reasons). I would however advise that while this isn't always very noticeable its well outside the norm for Australian work places.

On odd trousers;

Anything I expect to last I like to get made up, the cloth access and the fit is absolutely worth it.

Another thing I would stress is that deviating from a mid grey in odd trousers is like going from from Navy / Mid Grey (or any darker form of grey) Suits...

Its worth thinking about being able to empty the insides of your cuffs if you're more likely to end up off road (read walking on grass) with your odd trousers. Dirt builds up pretty quickly there uhoh.gif.

Close game of cricket this.
Edited by Plestor - 3/3/13 at 10:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members