or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1810

post #27136 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


The Steinhart you linked to isn't an exact copy - if it was IWC would be on to their lawyers I suspect. But it's obviously trying to be a cheaper alternative of something else and I just don't see their appeal if you set aside the lower pricetag. I don't think Steinhart has some forgotten pedigree as official watch supplier to Hermann Goering, and for their sake thankfully not (the question of why people like Axis pilot watches is something I don't get at all btw, but to each his own). More likely their history consists of some entrepreneur (possibly named Steinhart though not necessarily) deciding to make IWC lookalikes in China before having his German sister-in-law screw the back on so he can say they are "made in Germany", sell them for next to nothing and still make a profit. IMO you may as well save yourself another $500 and get a Parnis if all you are after is the pilot look, because that's all Steinhart are offering as far as I can see.

 

Found this on the IWC website:

 

 

 

From Steinhart:

 

 

 

 

There is some resemblance here, but I don't think it's to the extent that you're making it out to be. In fact, I'd say they're significantly different, in almost every way aside from font colour. I just don't get the 'trying hard to be something more expensive' argument, but maybe I'm just blind to the minor elements of the watches (v. possible).

post #27137 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

I'd skip the grey odd/blazer as they aren't as versatile as they look on paper from my experience;.

Awta.

I'd also agree with PoP's comments on cotton jackets.

No serious recommendations as I haven't looked at whats happening in the RTW world recently.
post #27138 of 55936

Thanks a tonne for all your help guys, I'll see what I can do once my Gillard money (youth allowance) comes in!

And romp - get your blue shirt back in stock in XL! :)

 

post #27139 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Thanks a tonne for all your help guys, I'll see what I can do once my Gillard money (youth allowance) comes in!

And romp - get your blue shirt back in stock in XL! :)

 

Thanks - you sure you are an XL rather than L? PM me your neck/chest/waist as I know the fit of these pretty intimately

 

Edit: my navy cotton jacket is in the look book however this is a closeup fyi

 


Edited by Romp - 2/23/13 at 2:03am
post #27140 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

 

i have no clue but i think you could, though, it might affect how the fabric drapes, thus, the balance across the shoulders.

Thanks, I'll probably go through with it because I really like the jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


The short answer is no. The long answer is anything is possible if you are willing to pay. (Warning - it could cost half as much as a new jacket and theres a distinct possibility it wouldn't turn out right.)

Roping isn't really related to "padding".

You can have "natural shoulders" that are roped.

Is it the roping you don't like or the built up shoulders? I like roped shoulders on some things.

There is an fetishistic concern on the USA parts of this forum with "natural" , "soft" or "shirt sleeved" shoulders. In many cases the wearers are badly served by them.

Thanks for the informative reply. I'm still learning so I'm not really sure how to reply to your question about the roping/built up shoulders. I only saw a post a while back by Jeffrey D about shoulder expression. But if I'm going to try, I think it's the roped shoulders that I have a problem with. Ignoring the sleeves, the shoulders look very similar to other jackets that I have.

post #27141 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

I'd skip the grey odd/blazer as they aren't as versatile as they look on paper from my experience;.

Awta.

I'd also agree with PoP's comments on cotton jackets.

No serious recommendations as I haven't looked at whats happening in the RTW world recently.

Actually I'll slightly amend this by saying it depends on how much you plan on wearing it with jeans. The reason that grey is considered less versatile is that grey odd trousers are the norm. If you wear jeans* enough this becomes not really the case...

*dark blue / indigo
post #27142 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

Thanks - you sure you are an XL rather than L? PM me your neck/chest/waist as I know the fit of these pretty intimately

 

Edit: my navy cotton jacket is in the look book however this is a closeup fyi

 


43.5/105/91.

How much did your PJ blazer set you back? 

post #27143 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas D C View Post

Found this on the IWC website:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



From Steinhart:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




There is some resemblance here, but I don't think it's to the extent that you're making it out to be. In fact, I'd say they're significantly different, in almost every way aside from font colour. I just don't get the 'trying hard to be something more expensive' argument, but maybe I'm just blind to the minor elements of the watches (v. possible).
In relation to your original post I was actually thinking of these two as being rather similar.



Not exactly the same obviously or else the IP lawyers would be onto Mr Steinhart, but can you say there is less than a strong resemblance? Of course all pilots' watches share some attributes. But where is the innovation? A blued hand or two and an ETA movt... Some would call it an hommage but to me it just looks like a poorer version of the IWC. Steinhart do similar things with some Rolex designs as well from memory. You might find something unique about Steinhart's models, besides the price, which attracts you to them, in which case go for it; they're just not my cup of tea.
post #27144 of 55936
To each their own, eh?
post #27145 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

To each their own, eh?
Yep, but he asked for opinions on those watches and I've explained my philosophy. I don't claim it to be anything more, or less.
post #27146 of 55936
PS, fxh has a philosophy on watches too - don't spend more than $5 on one.

I guess nobody's perfect ;-)
post #27147 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


In relation to your original post I was actually thinking of these two as being rather similar.



Not exactly the same obviously or else the IP lawyers would be onto Mr Steinhart, but can you say there is less than a strong resemblance? Of course all pilots' watches share some attributes. But where is the innovation? A blued hand or two and an ETA movt... Some would call it an hommage but to me it just looks like a poorer version of the IWC. Steinhart do similar things with some Rolex designs as well from memory. You might find something unique about Steinhart's models, besides the price, which attracts you to them, in which case go for it; they're just not my cup of tea.

 

That is certainly a lot more similar than the previous models linked - and I can definitely see your point when comparing those two. I did see the Rolex 'inspired' models as well... Food for thought indeed.

post #27148 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post


43.5/105/91.


How much did your PJ blazer set you back? 

Ah ok youve got a solid neck! Wll let you know.

The jacket i cant remember but its hand finished etc which costs more. Give them a buzz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

PS, fxh has a philosophy on watches too - don't spend more than $5 on one.

I guess nobody's perfect ;-)

People value items differently. If you dont see the value in the iwc va the steingart then get the imitator.

But if your gonna do that then just go to china and get the a grade fake.. At least its cheaper for the same "look"

I have owned the 3717 pilot watch but its busy and common ... traded it for a panerai.. Didnt like panerai either, felt like clock on a strap, unrefined and too showy.. plus it became very mainstream. Then found a new love for vintage JLC
post #27149 of 55936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post


43.5/105/91.
How much did your PJ blazer set you back? 
The first rule of Aus Members Thread...never ask how much PJ costs :P
post #27150 of 55936

Considering you're in Tasmania as well? You can't get P Johnson.

 

Guys, I used my Fox Umbrella in the rain tonight, for real! It was pretty gusty here in Sydney - the umbrella remained strong. There was a couple of times where I thought I was going to be lifted off the ground. I was really surprised that I didn't get wet. These British umbrellas actually work! Most umbrellas keep 75-80% of you dry, but this one was 95-100%.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members