or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1800

post #26986 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasricher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejake View Post

Your site still really sucks, which is very unfortunate because I've heard great things.

Persist. They are worth it.

 

As for the shoes- i wonder how many times the conversation has come back to shoes within australia- i noticed that the Aus SF thread was started by that very question of what was up with all the fugly shoes here in aus.

 

Total number of posts/100, or /10 if you also count replies. It's an amusing phenomena, but it seems that shoes are the easiest thing to get into sartorially and as such are very popular. 

post #26987 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasricher View Post

Persist. They are worth it.

The ties are a little too wide for my liking, but I'm interested in those socks. Anyone know the sizing on Pantherella - what size shoes does the large fit?

post #26988 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

 

I'm finding that thread absolutely fascinating. Being in the position where I own very little, threads about approaching the question of 'where to next' I find really interesting.


I am thinking about (keep in mind I wear suits only for weddings, and am otherwise pretty business casual)

 

1x Chealsea boots (probably darker brown)

1x Chukka boots (not sure what colour, I like the darker Kimber ones)

1x Dark Brown Cap Toe

1x Black Cap Toe

 

I love sneakers (the ultimate beater shoe IMO and what I'd wear when at home or out on the weekends).

post #26989 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas D C View Post

Picked up some Creed GIT from DJs just a couple days ago. Unfortunately didn't know about the Harrolds sale. I might pop by Harrolds during my lunch break tomorrow and see what pricing is like. Better still, does anyone here know? If tempting enough, might have to grab another flask, but this time, Bois du Portugal or Original Vetiver (god I love this scent).

Nicholas can I suggest you look here: http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_lid_O-am-pid_60515M-am-cid_Cologne__products.html

I reckon a 30ml is a good way to go if you want to get some without forking out the price of a pair of shoes for it.
post #26990 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


Much is often made on the internet and in books about the hierarchy of formality with shoes. Much of it I’d agree with in compiling a taxonomy but I do think too much emphasis,on the net, is put on having a plain black captoe,closed lace as the first and most formal shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaggio View Post

I would push this a bit further and query why one's only pair of black shoes needs to be closed-laced. I know it makes sense - then you would have one pair of very formal shoes should you need them. ...and yet, I don't know in Australia if anyone is going to notice that you might be wearing open laced shoes.

I agree.

Basically, the same shoes can be turned to both formal and informal use depending on what you wear them with, which makes detailed, rigid lists of shoe formality rather laughable IMO.

I have a few guidelines for what goes well together which I've come to via experience (aka my rationale for two pairs of shoes as a minimum):

Business suits in the usual colours (black or dark-mid brown shoes suitable, in any of the main laced styles)
Dark charcoal suits and black suits/black tie - (generally exclusively black, preferably less than full wingtip broguing for the latter)
Jeans and chinos (generally exclusively brown, preferably more than punched captoe level of broguing).

Boots, monk shoes, loafers and all the rest fit in there as well of course, and are necessary for any shoe lover, but nevertheless there are a wide range of outfits you can complement with just two well chosen pairs of shoes, if that is all you have the means to afford or if you have other more "normal" priorities in your life like dependents or a mortgage....
post #26991 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejake View Post

Your site still really sucks, which is very unfortunate because I've heard great things.

Do you mean stock wise? Well yeah, it's the end of the season and a lot of stuff is either sold out or only available at Ludlows. Not much we can do about that with the releases planned.

But, there are 5 new grenadines coming in the next 2 weeks or so (navy, maroon, chocolate, black and forest green) plus about 20 new designs for the Autumn/winter launch in April. But I have bad news for you, as only the knits will be 7cm, all others still 8cm and possibly a few at 9cm. Under 8cm just don't sell I'm sorry.

Re Pantherella's, a large is marked as a 9-11uk, but goes down to an 8uk fairly easy.
post #26992 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post


Do you mean stock wise? Well yeah, it's the end of the season and a lot of stuff is either sold out or only available at Ludlows. Not much we can do about that with the releases planned.

But, there are 5 new grenadines coming in the next 2 weeks or so (navy, maroon, chocolate, black and forest green) plus about 20 new designs for the Autumn/winter launch in April. But I have bad news for you, as only the knits will be 7cm, all others still 8cm and possibly a few at 9cm. Under 8cm just don't sell I'm sorry.

Re Pantherella's, a large is marked as a 9-11uk, but goes down to an 8uk fairly easy.


No, no, not stock wise. The loading and page errors and whatnot.

 

That's expected with the under 8cm ties, us skinny guys get no love so I'm used to it :)

 

I'm a 7.5UK so I'm guessing mediums would have been my size. Out of luck!

post #26993 of 54798
Ah right, well yes it's been a continuing frustration for me also. I'm trying to keep on my IT guys ass about it but with the distractions in life of late that has been hard. It will improve though and the site will be having a bit of an overhaul design wise for the Autumn/Winter launch too.

Yes you are probably out of luck, I'm completely sold out of mediums sorry. Socks won't be re-stocked at this stage.
post #26994 of 54798

my top 3 shoes would be 

 

1) Cap toe oxford in black

 

2) Semi brogue in black

 

3) Dark brown to snuff brown suede captoe/semi brogue on rubber sole

 

 

Given im a Sydney sider and im CBD Id opt for two black shoes to alternate between and the dark brown suede for cooler/wetter months

 

When your collection expands you'll end up having a few more brown pairs as there are many shades/textures/leather types to pick from.

 

My actual shoe lineup at the moment is

3 black shoes. Plain captoe, semi brogue adelaide, wholecut, 2 leather, 1 dainite

Mid brown suede oxford semi brogue - dainite

dark brown suede plain cap toe - dainite

dark brown semi brogue adelaide - leather

3 x suede driving shoes - blue/grey, tan, chocolate - looking to add a calf leather in the mix

black chelsea boot

 

Im now looking for a NST derby in a brown, a dressier loafer and a replacement dark brown suede for the mix.

 

I also want the Alden snuff suede chukka to wear with my new 3sixteens

post #26995 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

I also want the Alden snuff suede chukka to wear with my new 3sixteens

If you can, try and find an unlined version. By all reports it is the best option.

post #26996 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post


But, there are 5 new grenadines coming in the next 2 weeks or so (navy, maroon, chocolate, black and forest green) plus about 20 new designs for the Autumn/winter launch in April. But I have bad news for you, as only the knits will be 7cm, all others still 8cm and possibly a few at 9cm. Under 8cm just don't sell I'm sorry.

 

fing02[1].gif

 

No caramel this time round?

 

Also BTW, belated congrats.  Hope you are getting decent sleep, whatever little you may have....

post #26997 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

Ah right, well yes it's been a continuing frustration for me also. I'm trying to keep on my IT guys ass about it but with the distractions in life of late that has been hard. It will improve though and the site will be having a bit of an overhaul design wise for the Autumn/Winter launch too.

Yes you are probably out of luck, I'm completely sold out of mediums sorry. Socks won't be re-stocked at this stage.

 

If you need a web revamp team, I know a mate

post #26998 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiji View Post

If you can, try and find an unlined version. By all reports it is the best option.

ya thats the one - im just unsure on sizing as ive never had alden before. doing research:)

post #26999 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

fing02%5B1%5D.gif

No caramel this time round?

Also BTW, belated congrats.  Hope you are getting decent sleep, whatever little you may have....
Thanks, first night home from hospital was very rough but last night was better smile.gif

No caramel grenadine, the caramel from last season that I think you're thinking of was a twill, which sold out very quickly. It will likely be re-stocked if there is still fabric available.
post #27000 of 54798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiji View Post

If you can, try and find an unlined version. By all reports it is the best option.

ya thats the one - im just unsure on sizing as ive never had alden before. doing research:)

 

 

Pretty sure the unlineds are on the Leydon last, just add 1 to your UK size, iirc.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members