Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 1798post #26956 of 549352/20/13 at 4:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #26957 of 549352/20/13 at 5:15pmpost #26958 of 549352/20/13 at 6:30pmQuote:
And still today. Bought some Penhaligon's. Actually the sale is pretty extensive.
Further, on the subject of Thurston Braces in Sydney - have discovered that Strand Hatters have a small, but quite nice selection.post #26959 of 549352/20/13 at 7:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by tobiasj
For those who don't venture outside of this thread very often, here is a good discussion on five essential shoes:
I reckon you could get by on 3 - a black capped oxford, black brogue and tan double monk.
Double monks go with most things sartorial, as well as less formal occasions (e.g., with a navy blazer and white ducks).post #26960 of 549352/20/13 at 7:09pmpost #26961 of 549352/20/13 at 7:20pmQuote:
I thought you would have suggested two pairs of RMs - one black and one chestnutpost #26962 of 549352/20/13 at 7:46pmI like double monks but they wouldn't be in my top three "most essential shoes".
In fact, I'd posit you really only need two pairs of shoes* that will go with just about any classic menswear/workwear/formalwear outfit, and take you from casual to formal, day to night.
1. Black formal shoes - captoes, wholecuts or adelaides (doesn't really matter as long as they have closed laces and preferably aren't full brogues); should be smooth leather. For wear with blue, grey, or dark brown suits and dinner jacket. Don't wear them with jeans though.
2. Dark-to-mid brown semi-formal shoes - anything from adelaides to full wingtips/longwings (not wholecuts, ptbs or captoes). Can be open or closed laces; colour goes well with denim, chinos, most lounge suits. Should be smooth leather or pebble grain at a pinch (i.e. not suede).
Personally I think tan shoes are harder to complement and really go best with summer garb. E.g. tan shoes and dark suits don't look good IMO and either a mid/dark brown, or black shoes will look better.
I'd be interested in others' opinions on this... fxh?
*I'm not advocating you limit yourself to two pairs of shoes if you don't want to (settle Gerry ;-)post #26963 of 549352/20/13 at 7:58pmpost #26964 of 549352/20/13 at 8:05pmpost #26965 of 549352/20/13 at 8:07pmpost #26966 of 549352/20/13 at 8:18pmQuote:
I'm a huge fan of double monks, but this is true. I would even venture to say that anyone who claims double monks are one of the top three "most essential shoes" are a little too #dressedbytheinternet.post #26967 of 549352/20/13 at 8:20pm
I'd say you just need three pairs:
- formal in black (captoe or plain toe oxford)
- semi-formal in dark brown (wingtip/longwing derby)
- casual in dark brown (suede chukka)
I reckon that will get you through most situations.
Single/double monks, wholecuts, wingtip boots, shell, scotchgrain etc. can come later if you want.post #26968 of 549352/20/13 at 8:20pmpost #26969 of 549352/20/13 at 8:27pm
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Burnley vs Sunderland Live streaming England 4 seconds ago
- › TV>>Wolves vs Bolton Live stream Sky Bet Championship 2014 9 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 13 seconds ago
- › Aston Villa vs Arsenal Live streaming Soccer 24 seconds ago
- › TV>>Newcastle vs Hull city Live stream Barclays Premier League 2014 33 seconds ago
- › TV>>Aston Villa vs Arsenal Live stream Barclays Premier League 2014 50 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread 54 seconds ago
- › (((@!~FreeTv~!@!~>>>> Rotherham vs Charlton live 1 minute ago
- › TV>>Derby vs Cardiff city Live stream Sky Bet Championship 2014 1 minute ago
- › Watford V Bournemouth | Watch Watford V Bournemouth online Soccer 1 minute ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)