Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 4/17/16 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Australian Members - Page 1798post #26956 of 679462/20/13 at 4:59pmpost #26957 of 679462/20/13 at 5:15pmpost #26958 of 679462/20/13 at 6:30pmQuote:
And still today. Bought some Penhaligon's. Actually the sale is pretty extensive.
Further, on the subject of Thurston Braces in Sydney - have discovered that Strand Hatters have a small, but quite nice selection.post #26959 of 679462/20/13 at 7:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by tobiasj
For those who don't venture outside of this thread very often, here is a good discussion on five essential shoes:
I reckon you could get by on 3 - a black capped oxford, black brogue and tan double monk.
Double monks go with most things sartorial, as well as less formal occasions (e.g., with a navy blazer and white ducks).post #26960 of 679462/20/13 at 7:09pmpost #26961 of 679462/20/13 at 7:20pmQuote:
I thought you would have suggested two pairs of RMs - one black and one chestnutpost #26962 of 679462/20/13 at 7:46pmI like double monks but they wouldn't be in my top three "most essential shoes".
In fact, I'd posit you really only need two pairs of shoes* that will go with just about any classic menswear/workwear/formalwear outfit, and take you from casual to formal, day to night.
1. Black formal shoes - captoes, wholecuts or adelaides (doesn't really matter as long as they have closed laces and preferably aren't full brogues); should be smooth leather. For wear with blue, grey, or dark brown suits and dinner jacket. Don't wear them with jeans though.
2. Dark-to-mid brown semi-formal shoes - anything from adelaides to full wingtips/longwings (not wholecuts, ptbs or captoes). Can be open or closed laces; colour goes well with denim, chinos, most lounge suits. Should be smooth leather or pebble grain at a pinch (i.e. not suede).
Personally I think tan shoes are harder to complement and really go best with summer garb. E.g. tan shoes and dark suits don't look good IMO and either a mid/dark brown, or black shoes will look better.
I'd be interested in others' opinions on this... fxh?
*I'm not advocating you limit yourself to two pairs of shoes if you don't want to (settle Gerry ;-)post #26963 of 679462/20/13 at 7:58pmpost #26964 of 679462/20/13 at 8:05pmpost #26965 of 679462/20/13 at 8:07pm
Good convo. I recently started a thread because i wanted this type of info.
I am upgrading my own wardrobe and have a pair of black wingtips, a pair of tan brogues, some brown carminas on the way and was looking for another pair. Burgundy came up a bit.post #26966 of 679462/20/13 at 8:18pmQuote:
I'm a huge fan of double monks, but this is true. I would even venture to say that anyone who claims double monks are one of the top three "most essential shoes" are a little too #dressedbytheinternet.post #26967 of 679462/20/13 at 8:20pm
I'd say you just need three pairs:
- formal in black (captoe or plain toe oxford)
- semi-formal in dark brown (wingtip/longwing derby)
- casual in dark brown (suede chukka)
I reckon that will get you through most situations.
Single/double monks, wholecuts, wingtip boots, shell, scotchgrain etc. can come later if you want.post #26968 of 679462/20/13 at 8:20pmpost #26969 of 679462/20/13 at 8:27pmpost #26970 of 679462/20/13 at 8:29pm
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › G&G Regent GG06, Espresso Calf, 5.5UK $490 OBO 1 minute ago
- › G&G Rothschild DG70, Vintage Chestnut, 5.5UK $490 OBO 1 minute ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 3 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 5 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 8 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 17 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 19 minutes ago
- › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread 21 minutes ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 23 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 24 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway