Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/29/15 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather ClothLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s Moral and Sartorial...Last edited: 8/10/15
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 1798post #26956 of 646032/20/13 at 4:59pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #26957 of 646032/20/13 at 5:15pmpost #26958 of 646032/20/13 at 6:30pmQuote:
And still today. Bought some Penhaligon's. Actually the sale is pretty extensive.
Further, on the subject of Thurston Braces in Sydney - have discovered that Strand Hatters have a small, but quite nice selection.post #26959 of 646032/20/13 at 7:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by tobiasj
For those who don't venture outside of this thread very often, here is a good discussion on five essential shoes:
I reckon you could get by on 3 - a black capped oxford, black brogue and tan double monk.
Double monks go with most things sartorial, as well as less formal occasions (e.g., with a navy blazer and white ducks).post #26960 of 646032/20/13 at 7:09pmpost #26961 of 646032/20/13 at 7:20pmQuote:
I thought you would have suggested two pairs of RMs - one black and one chestnutpost #26962 of 646032/20/13 at 7:46pmI like double monks but they wouldn't be in my top three "most essential shoes".
In fact, I'd posit you really only need two pairs of shoes* that will go with just about any classic menswear/workwear/formalwear outfit, and take you from casual to formal, day to night.
1. Black formal shoes - captoes, wholecuts or adelaides (doesn't really matter as long as they have closed laces and preferably aren't full brogues); should be smooth leather. For wear with blue, grey, or dark brown suits and dinner jacket. Don't wear them with jeans though.
2. Dark-to-mid brown semi-formal shoes - anything from adelaides to full wingtips/longwings (not wholecuts, ptbs or captoes). Can be open or closed laces; colour goes well with denim, chinos, most lounge suits. Should be smooth leather or pebble grain at a pinch (i.e. not suede).
Personally I think tan shoes are harder to complement and really go best with summer garb. E.g. tan shoes and dark suits don't look good IMO and either a mid/dark brown, or black shoes will look better.
I'd be interested in others' opinions on this... fxh?
*I'm not advocating you limit yourself to two pairs of shoes if you don't want to (settle Gerry ;-)post #26963 of 646032/20/13 at 7:58pmpost #26964 of 646032/20/13 at 8:05pmpost #26965 of 646032/20/13 at 8:07pmpost #26966 of 646032/20/13 at 8:18pmQuote:
I'm a huge fan of double monks, but this is true. I would even venture to say that anyone who claims double monks are one of the top three "most essential shoes" are a little too #dressedbytheinternet.post #26967 of 646032/20/13 at 8:20pm
I'd say you just need three pairs:
- formal in black (captoe or plain toe oxford)
- semi-formal in dark brown (wingtip/longwing derby)
- casual in dark brown (suede chukka)
I reckon that will get you through most situations.
Single/double monks, wholecuts, wingtip boots, shell, scotchgrain etc. can come later if you want.post #26968 of 646032/20/13 at 8:20pmpost #26969 of 646032/20/13 at 8:27pm
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 59 seconds ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 1 minute ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 1 minute ago
- › Greatcoat and Height of a Man 2 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD (Guidi, CCP,... 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015