or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1740

post #26086 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnso View Post

I should get serious and take the risk with some HY pants. I guess its just I have 'athletic' legs, so I know for example Robs chinos wouldn't fit or suit me (...and went chino shopping a while back, and only one pair in about five fit, and ended up with some Tommy Hilfiger ones which are a classic fit/ not tapered too much etc). Same issue with jeans.
I'm sure the HY fit is a bit more 'traditional' anyway?

I don't have any HY trousers (although I'm seriously thinking about getting some), but I've heard that whilst they are slim, they aren't too slim. Furthermore, Jamison of HY stocks two, different cuts, an Italian-made cut and an American-made cut. The former is slimmer than the latter.

HY gives pretty good measurements for trousers on the website, including waist, thigh and knee measurements, so you should hopefully be able to compare the measurements to a pair of your existing trousers so as to get a pretty good idea as to whether they will fit or not.

When I was doing a lot of cycling, I used to often have to get trousers that were a size too big for me, so as to accommodate my thighs and backside, and have them taken in around the waist. However, my waist has now expanded and I just buy my natural waist size nowadays!
post #26087 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnso View Post

 

 should get serious and take the risk with some HY pants. I guess its just I have 'athletic' legs, so I know for example Robs chinos wouldn't fit or suit me (...and went chino shopping a while back, and only one pair in about five fit, and ended up with some Tommy Hilfiger ones which are a classic fit/ not tapered too much etc). Same issue with jeans.
Im sure the HY fit is a bit more 'traditional' anyway?

 

 

Ive got chunky legs too and issues with most jeans not fitting (fingers crossed on these 3sixteens) - tennis player - so i carry my weight in my legs - thighs/calves/cankles :)

 

There is actually subtle difference in our chinos - the Navy and the Brown are more forgiving than the red/white/green. They have 1% of elastane in the fabric so they light and they and comfortable. They dont feel stretchy, rather just soft and comfy.

post #26088 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post


Yeah that's one caveat I suppose smile.gif

To be honest, while I really like my BB belt, I don't know enough about leather & belt construction to be able to give it an unqualified recommendation. The backing has the look and feel of synthetic, which surprised me a bit--I thought at this price point (I got it on discount, but rrp is ~$120) the construction would be all-leather. I don't know how common this is, or whether it will affect the longevity of the belt.

One other thing is that the buckle is more gold than silver, which seems a bit like false advertising on their part. Not a big deal, but I expected it to match my steel watch strap.


That's a shame to hear, re: the synthetic back and gold buckle. I'll steer clear of the BB belt then, especially at that price.

post #26089 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


HY gives pretty good measurements for trousers on the website, including waist, thigh and knee measurements, so you should hopefully be able to compare the measurements to a pair of your existing trousers so as to get a pretty good idea as to whether they will fit or not.

 

Thanks. Yeah that's some good info.

post #26090 of 58006
As I understand it the HY American fit is still not as accommodating in the thigh/seat area as the Epaulet Rudy Fit (going by measurement charts), so that's another option to consider if you're ordering OTR from the US.
post #26091 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post


LOL and here I was thinking it was going to be a nice quite afternoon and I could get some work done. Now I have to wait for the next round response from Michael.biggrin.gif

DB is upset because he tried to sell me his dignity for $15, he offered multiple times on the many corners of the Sunset Strip. He wanted another pair of brogues, suede this time, I cared not. I turned him down many a time, saying his name and 'phsycial/intellectual capital' only accumulates to the worth of $7.5, and if he wanted his 'new' Dusty suede Brogues, he'd have to take my offer. He accepted. I rejected him once more.

 

If this means I am a scab, I wear the badge with honour.

 

In all honesty, unlike DB, I wasn't breastfed until I was 30. $20, $30, $40 saved here and there can be the difference between there being food on the table and there not being food on the table. A decent bottle of vodka (wednesday night's meal) is about $30. So forgive me for pushing the envelope a little bit.


Edited by JimmyHoffa - 2/6/13 at 10:15pm
post #26092 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

 

 

The Navy and the Brown are more forgiving than the red/white/green. They have 1% of elastine in the fabric so they light and they and comfortable.

Noooooooo, why did you do that Rob!? Now if someone asks you in person what your famous chinos are made of, you'd be lying if you said, "pure cotton". Any response other than 99% cotton is a lie. They are bound to ask you what the other 1% is, and 'elastine' sounds like nails down a chalkboard. Talk about turning a proud moment into an awkward one.

post #26093 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Noooooooo, why did you do that Rob!? Now if someone asks you in person what your famous chinos are made of, you'd be lying if you said, "pure cotton". Any response other than 99% cotton is a lie. They are bound to ask you what the other 1% is, and 'elastine' sounds like nails down a chalkboard. Talk about turning a proud moment into an awkward one.

 

I love my 1% elastaine in my cotton golf trousers. They make perfect travelling gear when on planes/cars/trains, too. 

 

Technically, it's still 'pure cotton', just not "100% pure cotton" - but that's a technicality I won't go into, unsolicited.

post #26094 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post


haha. I didn't own the pants I wore when I started my business mate, so you can post as many gifs as you like because I love them. Especially this one.

post #26095 of 58006
Four votes for 9cm here.
post #26096 of 58006
Bought two MJ Bale suits today.
post #26097 of 58006
I know he is not a designer of menswear, but how can anyone remotely connected with the rag trade be this badly dressed?

Let me count the ways...
1. Tie knot looks sculpted from foil
2. Shirt too tight
3. Navy button down with an indigo tie
4. Tie matches pants (or jeggings)
5. Jacket to tight?
6. Colour combo just wrong
post #26098 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

Guys, and particularly all the Melbourne boys. In conjunction with Ludlows we will be hosting an event in-store at Ludlows in mid April, tentatively booked for the 18th April. It'll be kind of an Autumn/Winter launch but clients will be able to order MTO ties from the new fabrics, plus there will be plenty of the RTW new seasons stuff in store for sale and some of the Scottish cashmere scarves as well that will arrive in March.

There will be more details to come but all SF members will be invited and wine + canapes will be served. I'll be in Melbourne for the Thursday and Friday so if anyone isn't able to make it to the event then I'll be keen to catch up for some lunch or coffee's during the day and will be taking a trip to see the double monk boys too. Richard from Ludlows will also be hopefully getting the DM guys to come in and do some shoe polishing demo's.

Ta
Jas

 

Might be a good time for ole LonerMatt to emerge from the provinces.

 

If people are considering doing a HY purchase, let me know there are a few things I'm interested in (pants). Shipping is quite reasonable, though.

post #26099 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Noooooooo, why did you do that Rob!? Now if someone asks you in person what your famous chinos are made of, you'd be lying if you said, "pure cotton". Any response other than 99% cotton is a lie. They are bound to ask you what the other 1% is, and 'elastine' sounds like nails down a chalkboard. Talk about turning a proud moment into an awkward one.

Well its somewhere between 0.01% and 1% ... Its in the fabric because its much more comfortable for a slim cut chino as cotton doesnt have alot of give like wool does. I know its not over 1% because it doesnt feel stretchy at all, just relaxes the fabric. Alot of people ask me about my pants when i wear them and not one has asked the composition ofnthe fabric.. Either way its not something I view as awkward?
post #26100 of 58006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaggio View Post

Too busy looking at Miranda Kerr.... (assuming its the Dj's AW thingo)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members