or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1721

post #25801 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post

GI doesn't matter one bit. Neither does "avoiding refined carbs such as white flour" etc. All a bunch of terrible advice bullshit.

Sorry, but I have to call complete BS on that. Any diabetic who took notice of you on that would be doing themselves enormous harm. Since you're not an expert in this area, maybe you should defer to the people who are.
post #25802 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

All this calories and dieting stuff... what a bunch of women.

Be a real man and get on the albuterex.

:-)

Still, I'd rather be accused of being alive and female than macho and terminally ill.
post #25803 of 57826
Yeah I think we've had this discussion a few times now. Just have a pie for lunch and go for a run....

Different things work for different people. I stay about the same weight all year round, 81-82kg. It's about 9kg heavier than when I was a competing triathlete and cyclist, I was prob underweight then for my 6'2 height.. I feel a lot healthier now and eat generally what I want. Healthy mostly but if I feel like a steak, diane sauce and mash (made with cream and butter) for dinner then I have it. It all balances out for me. I still run 3 times a week, swim 1-2 times, ride 1-2 times and walk 10-20km a day when up in the mtns fly fishing, so I burn plenty of calories. Can't stand gyms, but that's just me, i'd rather be outside exersizing. But that's what works for me, YMMV.
post #25804 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

 

Whats a macro? saw you and Oli talk about it 

 

Macro-nutrient - protein, carbohydrates and fat. Some believe that you need to consume specific proportions of each in a certain ratio.

post #25805 of 57826

All you guys are damn fit!

 

What do you do for exercise DB?

post #25806 of 57826

Not sure what the fuss is about- balanced diet, regular meals, no snacking, exercise....

 

While you guys talk about diet, I am thinking of foie gras d'oie, escargot in garlic butter, duck confit with potatoes fried in duck fat, mille feuille, chocolate cake, etc.  But I also think about fisherman congee, noodle soups, salads and fruits.  I think you get the picture.  I am off for lunch, laksa I think.

post #25807 of 57826

Not sure if it's appropriate to post here, but I have a new pair of Loake 1880 Churchill that I ordered in the wrong size. Instead of sending back to the UK for ~$100, would like to sell them.

 

They are size Euro 44 and are black and brand new in box. I'm in Brisbane but can post interstate. Looking for $250

post #25808 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

Not sure what the fuss is about- balanced diet, regular meals, no snacking, exercise....

This is what the fuss is about. People handing out ill-informed and wrong advice. (Snacking is actually encouraged by every dietitian I've seen over the last 3 years).

It may seem like I'm going over the top, but it is a worry that some people may actually listen to the inexpert opinions here and do themselves harm.

I don't say I'm an expert, but I've had to consult many of them, I know what their advice is and I know it is backed up by solid research, not by people spouting off half-informed cliches. I have also seen what happens to people like me who don't take that advice: blindness, gangrene, limb loss, tooth loss, gout, none of it is pretty.

Sometimes it is worth acknowledging when we are in over our heads when we spout our opinions, and maybe just stick to stuff we actually know something about.
post #25809 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post


This is what the fuss is about. People handing out ill-informed and wrong advice. (Snacking is actually encouraged by every dietitian I've seen over the last 3 years).

It may seem like I'm going over the top, but it is a worry that some people may actually listen to the inexpert opinions here and do themselves harm.

I don't say I'm an expert, but I've had to consult many of them, I know what their advice is and I know it is backed up by solid research, not by people spouting off half-informed cliches. I have also seen what happens to people like me who don't take that advice: blindness, gangrene, limb loss, tooth loss, gout, none of it is pretty.

Sometimes it is worth acknowledging when we are in over our heads when we spout our opinions, and maybe just stick to stuff we actually know something about.

It is obvious you feel strongly about this, but there is actually no universal panacea. I only talk about what has worked for me, may not work for everyone. I have not professed to be an expert in anything.

 

And it may be more constructive if you focus on the content of the whole post (which was mean to be jovial and conversational with some attempted humour), rather than nitpicking on the one issue of snacking without any further elaboration.  Unless you have seen a decent sample size of dietitian, the plural of anecdote is not data.

 

Honestly, I am pretty sure you can find a more engaging and civil way to express yourself than the efforts contributed so far.

post #25810 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaggio View Post

I have some black shell (in a full brogue) and, whilst I like it, I agree that calf is better for a formal black captoe. For me the real appeal of shell is the lustre you get in the #8, cigar and similar colours. You don't get that in black.

You do, however, get a fairly glossy finish all over. Some have said this looks a bit plasticky. I wouldn't go that far, in fact I like the easy-care nature of it, but I think for a very formal shoe the sublty of calf is a bit nicer.

Also, small point...the thickness of the hide creates an slight indentation around the joins such as the lace holes. Calf is "flatter". And, finally, with shell, you're going to get waves - youve gotta be okay with waves.

Its a close run thing. I have a pair of cap toes in cigar shell. I love them - mostly for the colour. Still think, if I went the same shoe in black it would be calf.

Thanks heaps for that.  I am not sure whether I can accept waves on a formal black captoe.

 

Any advice on picking out/differentiating the quality of calf leather? 

 

As an aside to shoe care, for all those mirror shine fiends out there, I really like the effects of the application of a final layer of neutral wax with alcohol/whiskey. 

post #25811 of 57826
Anyway, moving on...my wardrobe needs to go on a diet. I have a real problem getting rid of stuff. Not in the reality TV hoarder category, but still hard to say goodbye to gear that is still wearable. What are the rules? If you haven't worn it for a year or two chuck it?
post #25812 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

Anyway, moving on...my wardrobe needs to go on a diet. I have a real problem getting rid of stuff. Not in the reality TV hoarder category, but still hard to say goodbye to gear that is still wearable. What are the rules? If you haven't worn it for a year or two chuck it?

I go through mine twice a year once in Spirng once in Winter. Then cart off what is not wanted and in good nick to Vinnies. Been trying to get the wife to engage with this but to no avail, however she has started to realise her draws are overflowing (no smart arse comments thank you:) )

I also do it with books and CD's once a year.

Ps what size are you?
post #25813 of 57826
For me it's one year. Then it goes to brother/sell/salvos.

The only time I've broken this rule is with my Gant Rugger Varsity - I'd be able to sell it for $300 easily, but it's just too nice to give away even though it doesn't really fit my style anymore.
post #25814 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

I also do it with books and CD's once a year.

What's a "CD"?
post #25815 of 57826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

I go through mine twice a year once in Spirng once in Winter. Then cart off what is not wanted and in good nick to Vinnies. Been trying to get the wife to engage with this but to no avail, however she has started to realise her draws are overflowing (no smart arse comments thank you:) )

I also do it with books and CD's once a year.

Ps what size are you?

I'm a 48 Euro reg.

My missus is as bad as me. Part of the problem is coming from working class backgrounds; we are genetically conditioned to think 'Oh, no. I paid good money for that and there's still some wear in it'. Tragic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members