or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1718

post #25756 of 54738
Sydney muy expensive place http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/top-dollar-puts-sydney-higher-on-expense-scale-20130204-2duwk.html
post #25757 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvish View Post


right.

what is the sizing of meermin like e.g narrow, small? or is it pretty much TTS?

Depends on the last that you get - take a look at the pictures of the meermin lasts

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post


Rob sorry mate, it could just be my old school training but I have to disagree on this. Side bulge is better managed by a) less length, I.e the trousers falling in a straight line not bunching and b) having the right width at the ankle. Wider ankles and especially lighter drapier fabrics like some high super counts are a pain in the ass for this. On the other hand smaller widths can have the same affect, because again they can't fall over the shoe properly. 

 

thats ok- I have no training here, although i dont disagree with you - i just cbf writing as much as you did fing02[1].gif

 

my original point was length and width in the hem to get the right break/no break/length.

 

my second point was the hem line slope may be used to manage side bulge .. after of course reaching the correct length because you want to maintain a certain break/no break (i wouldnt assume you can achieve this at any length!!) i.e. a guy in the army may want the pants to just break the crease at the front but cover the leather of his boot at the back without a massive break causing the side to flare (especially on narrower pants) or equally have pants that look too short (especially on a wide opening)

 

Either way if we are being technical arent these pants cuffed in which case I had always assumed these were to be cut straight (not to mention just being a botch job in the first place lol)

post #25758 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post

All custom linen. RLPL tie.



Ive got this exact tie - in the reverse colours icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #25759 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning View Post

Do you guys have any reccs for a shoe cleaning kit?

Or do you buy items individually?

 

In any case suggestions of what and wear to buy are greatly appreciated! For black and brown leather.  

Here's everything I reckon you need:

 

Saphir gold medal line products:

1 Renovator

1 black wax polish

1 black cream polish

1 appropriate brown wax polish

1 appropriate brown cream polish

 

2 cloths or chamois. One to apply the renovator/polish with, One to buff the toe cap. (You can use a brush to apply the polish but I prefer using a cloth and working it into the leather in small circles.

2 horsehair brushes to brush the polish off once it is dry. Use one for black and one for brown.

 

1 wooden box to keep it all in.

 

Very simple method that I use is:

 

  • brush dust and dirt off shoe
  • apply Renovator over the complete shoe. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
  • apply cream polish all over the shoe including toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
  • apply wax polish to the toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off. (Repeat this step as many times as you like depending on how deep a shine you are after).
  • buff toe cap with fresh cloth.

 

If you want a mirror shine you can then wet a cloth and work it in small circles on the toe cap then finish it off with a buffing from a pair of nylon stockings.

post #25760 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post

Gotta be at the natural waist line. Being 6'1 with a long torso doesn't help.

Eh, that is a bit doctrinaire for mine. I think a higher button stance would look more balanced in your case.
post #25761 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post


Eh, that is a bit doctrinaire for mine. I think a higher button stance would look more balanced in your case.

 

And when you do that, remember that your trousers need to sit higher too, to preserve the line / flow from the jacket to the trousers.

 

Also, Prof - (and these are very rough observations, so I will stand corrected) you sure your button stance is on your natural waistline? That might make your trousers sit halfway down your rear rather low.

 

The waist suppression looks like the jacket is at the natural waist - which might mean that you can afford to wear your trousers almost 2 inches higher. Might add to the balance.

post #25762 of 54738
Poor Prof being poked and prodded.
post #25763 of 54738

He works in 'Management Consulting': he is use to the idea of people coming along, drawing nice diagrams, and telling everyone how the business should be run :). Salt in the wounds.

post #25764 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuhiri View Post

Here's everything I reckon you need:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Saphir gold medal line products:
1 Renovator
1 black wax polish
1 black cream polish
1 appropriate brown wax polish
1 appropriate brown cream polish

2 cloths or chamois. One to apply the renovator/polish with, One to buff the toe cap. (You can use a brush to apply the polish but I prefer using a cloth and working it into the leather in small circles.
2 horsehair brushes to brush the polish off once it is dry. Use one for black and one for brown.

1 wooden box to keep it all in.

Very simple method that I use is:
  • brush dust and dirt off shoe
  • apply Renovator over the complete shoe. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
  • apply cream polish all over the shoe including toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
  • apply wax polish to the toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off. (Repeat this step as many times as you like depending on how deep a shine you are after).
  • buff toe cap with fresh cloth.

If you want a mirror shine you can then wet a cloth and work it in small circles on the toe cap then finish it off with a buffing from a pair of nylon stockings.

Excellent advice. If I may be so bold, I would recommend a one time only going over with a bottle of Saphir Reno'Mat Leather Cleaner before you start. This will clean off any gunk (e.g. silicon) before you start your Saphir regime. Use a separate clean cotton cloth for the job.
post #25765 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

He works in 'Management Consulting': he is use to the idea of people coming along, drawing nice diagrams, and telling everyone how the business should be run :). Salt in the wounds.

 

Has anyone been watching House of Lies? I hear Don Cheadle is killing it in the show... about management consultants lol

post #25766 of 54738
post #25767 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Has anyone been watching House of Lies? I hear Don Cheadle is killing it in the show... about management consultants lol
Yep, love it. Just wish it was on more.
post #25768 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

And when you do that, remember that your trousers need to sit higher too, to preserve the line / flow from the jacket to the trousers.

Also, Prof - (and these are very rough observations, so I will stand corrected) you sure your button stance is on your natural waistline? That might make your trousers sit halfway down your rear rather low.

The waist suppression looks like the jacket is at the natural waist - which might mean that you can afford to wear your trousers almost 2 inches higher. Might add to the balance.

Button stance is about 1.5-2" above my real natural waistline (aka belly button). Pants are sitting .5cm below belly button. However they were made too short and the hems have been let down as much as possible, so I have to wear them a little lower than usual. Not a big fan of the flood pant look. Still, not bad for a $279 suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Has anyone been watching House of Lies? I hear Don Cheadle is killing it in the show... about management consultants lol

HoL is more truth than I care to admit lol.
post #25769 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by boff View Post

Excellent advice. If I may be so bold, I would recommend a one time only going over with a bottle of Saphir Reno'Mat Leather Cleaner before you start. This will clean off any gunk (e.g. silicon) before you start your Saphir regime. Use a separate clean cotton cloth for the job.


Not always. Reno'Mat is fine for some shoes, not good for others - it depends on the method used to dye the leather.

As an example, I believe that C&J does not recommend the use of Reno'Mat for its shoes, as it could strip off the finish and change the colour.
post #25770 of 54738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Not always. Reno'Mat is fine for some shoes, not good for others - it depends on the method used to dye the leather.

As an example, I believe that C&J does not recommend the use of Reno'Mat for its shoes, as it could strip off the finish and change the colour.

I stand corrected, thank you. I've only ever used it on Barkers, Loakes and AE's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members