or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1690

post #25336 of 54935

Where did you 'copy and paste' that from Fxh? smile.gif

 

Well said, I feel like I know more already.

post #25337 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Where did you 'copy and paste' that from Fxh? smile.gif

Well said, I feel like I know more already.

The Grandmaster does not need to "cut and paste".
post #25338 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Where did you 'copy and paste' that from Fxh? smile.gif

Well said, I feel like I know more already.

Michael - I just banged a rant out off the top of my head while watching QI then the ABBA doco.

I'm not sure it says what I want but I think the general idea is there.

Its just an expansion of some of the other issues in skills based artisan trade work. I've also had a long interest in the schemozzle that is/was the Australian Wool Industry, from inside and as a consumer. The best fine wool in the world comes from here yet we have no high end suiting etc textile industry. Its not clear why. I'm also inclined to blame, at least partly or even mainly, the Wool Politics Industry (protectionism, mercantilism and the floor price fiasco as well as other issues) for the decline in worldwide consumer demand for wool garments in the 60, 70s etc. Not to mention the associated machinations in te market withteh floor price leading to loss of trust between the Italian textiles industry, the Japanese and even the English mills that is still effecting us..
post #25339 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


Michael - I just banged a rant out off the top of my head while watching QI then the ABBA doco.

I'm not sure it says what I want but I think the general idea is there.

Its just an expansion of some of the other issues in skills based artisan trade work. I've also had a long interest in the schemozzle that is/was the Australian Wool Industry, from inside and as a consumer. The best fine wool in the world comes from here yet we have no high end suiting etc textile industry. Its not clear why. I'm also inclined to blame, at least partly or even mainly, the Wool Politics Industry (protectionism, mercantilism and the floor price fiasco as well as other issues) for the decline in worldwide consumer demand for wool garments in the 60, 70s etc. Not to mention the associated machinations in te market withteh floor price leading to loss of trust between the Italian textiles industry, the Japanese and even the English mills that is still effecting us..

You're an ABC man. That says it all. How are the Doc Martin repeats treating you?

 

I wish I could comment on other apsects of your post, but it'd just highlight my ignorance in the area.

 

What I have found growing up in Sydney, is that there is a hell of a lot of 'children of immigrants'. Many of them, under the heavy influence of their parents, are opting to head into: law, medicine, financial services, marketing, journalism etc. Where I have grown up, the idea of leaving in year 10 and pursuing any kind of trade was not pushed at all, infact, it was almost silently frowned upon. This is my observation in the last 10 years. I look around at University, my course in particular, and there are a hell of a lot of people that shouldn't be there. It must be easier to get into university than ever before, and the trades are feeling that. 15 years ago, a builder/plumber/sparky wouldn't have treated you the way they do today. Trades aren't popular at the moment, getting a degree is.

post #25340 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

You're an ABC man. That says it all. How are the Doc Martin repeats treating you?

I wish I could comment on other apsects of your post, but it'd just highlight my ignorance in the area.

What I have found growing up in Sydney, is that there is a hell of a lot of 'children of immigrants'. Many of them, under the heavy influence of their parents, are opting to head into: law, medicine, financial services, marketing, journalism etc. Where I have grown up, the idea of leaving in year 10 and pursuing any kind of trade was not pushed at all, infact, it was almost silently frowned upon. This is my observation in the last 10 years. I look around at University, my course in particular, and there are a hell of a lot of people that shouldn't be there. It must be easier to get into university than ever before, and the trades are feeling that. 15 years ago, a builder/plumber/sparky wouldn't have treated you the way they do today. Trades aren't popular at the moment, getting a degree is.

MS, I don't understand what you mean here.
post #25341 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Wait for pics, my friend. Never fear, they're 'classic menswear', I don't want to ruffle feathers with streetwear.

I did the same but as you said, pics will come soon.
post #25342 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post


MS, I don't understand what you mean here.

A lot of people joke about the fact that you don't need to attend a lecture to pass a subject.

 

You can get a degree, albeit passes, when you don't even put much effort in.

 

You'd expect people that are diligent, studious and hardworking to be at university. It just isn't the case for a large portion.

 

What proportion of high school leavers went on to to get a university degree 40 years ago? What proportion of high school leavers go on to get a university degree today? That difference is the swing from trades to tertiary. Tailoring is a trade that will and has been the first to go - it isn't an essential trade.

 

The government has made it pretty clear. Australia's future lays in innovation, not manual skills. They want people to go to school for longer and get more qualifications.

post #25343 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

At the risk of putting words into CD's mouth, I believe that when he was a child, he said that his mum was XX years of age when he was talking with the postman. Given that there are many women out there who don't like their actual age to be discussed, his mum was unsurprisingly not really pleased that he had disclosed that information to the postman!

Couldn't have put it better myself!
post #25344 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

A lot of people joke about the fact that you don't need to attend a lecture to pass a subject.

You can get a degree, albeit passes, when you don't even put much effort in.

You'd expect people that are diligent, studious and hardworking to be at university. It just isn't the case for a large portion.

Not necessarily; people's reasons for attending university vary. Some are interested in the (noble) acquisition of knowledge, for others it's just something they have to do to get the job they want and they couldn't care less for it. There are scores of other reasons, I guess.
post #25345 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

Anybody here old enough to remember the song Election Day by Arcadia (Duran Duran)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Yy6c0Tlvk

Days of boys in makeup and HUGE MFecking Shoulder Pads.

Now that brings back memories... And reminds me of my age. smile.gif
post #25346 of 54935
Picked up a shirt from Charles Nakhle earlier today and I am very satisfied with the result. If there are any Sydneysiders searching for some good shirts, look no further.

Off to Melbourne tomorrow for a long weekend. Anything special one shouldnt miss going there?
post #25347 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsberg View Post

Picked up a shirt from Charles Nakhle earlier today and I am very satisfied with the result. If there are any Sydneysiders searching for some good shirts, look no further.

Off to Melbourne tomorrow for a long weekend. Anything special one shouldnt miss going there?

 

Double Monk for shoes, Huxtaburger and Chin Chin for food.

post #25348 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

Double Monk for shoes, Huxtaburger and Chin Chin for food.

Cheers!
post #25349 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsberg View Post


Cheers!

No worries. I'm sure others will chime in soon enough smile.gif

post #25350 of 54935
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

A lot of people joke about the fact that you don't need to attend a lecture to pass a subject.

 

You can get a degree, albeit passes, when you don't even put much effort in.

 

You'd expect people that are diligent, studious and hardworking to be at university. It just isn't the case for a large portion.

 

What proportion of high school leavers went on to to get a university degree 40 years ago? What proportion of high school leavers go on to get a university degree today? That difference is the swing from trades to tertiary. Tailoring is a trade that will and has been the first to go - it isn't an essential trade.

 

The government has made it pretty clear. Australia's future lays in innovation, not manual skills. They want people to go to school for longer and get more qualifications.

 

In my year, some of the smartest individuals were the laziest mofos. The joke's on us. You don't have to be diligent, etc. to do well, unfortunately.

You presume that innovation requires a tertiary degree. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes, it's universities that want "people to go to school for longer and [to] get more qualifications". 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

 

Double Monk for shoes, Huxtaburger and Chin Chin for food.

 

+100

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members