or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1682

post #25216 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

 

try on a few MJ bale suits and see how they fit you. they have the 2 for $1k deal which is good value for money. their Collection range (about $1,300) is very good but for that range you may as well go for PJ. decisions, decisions. if i were you, to build a basic suit wardrobe, get MJB (preferably a navy and charcoal), and once the basics are down pat, move onto PJ. have a look at suitsupply too. they have a big thread here, about 50 pages of solid reading to go thru.

 

Thanks for the advice. I suppose my issue is that there's not a lot of point having a suit wardrobe per se (although 2 suits hardly constitutes a wardrobe), simply because a suit is so incredibly out of place and ridiculous in my field (public education at the middle years in low-income schools) I don't know I'd wear a suit for anything other than special occasions.

 

That being said, who knows? Maybe I'll be principal someday.

 

I'm a bit more wary of suitsupply, simply because I can't try them on (and I'm not confident in measuring myself for suit jackets/pants).

post #25217 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmills View Post

I decided to stay home today in order to sign for a parcel. The tracking page has just updated, and is now showing delivery was apparently attempted at a time when I was at home. No delivery card can be found placed in the door or in with the mail. The parcel is now stuck at the local, which opens late and closes early, so there is no hope of collecting it in the next few days. Is it common for these Australia Post delivery drivers say "screw it" and lie about attempting delivery?

And yes, this was an expensive courier company that decided to forward the parcel on.

censored.gif
Just Chuck A Sickie mate ....
post #25218 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

I'm a bit more wary of suitsupply, simply because I can't try them on (and I'm not confident in measuring myself for suit jackets/pants).

I decided to give them a go around mid December and picked up one of their Havana jackets. I was quite pleasantly surprised by both the fit and the overall quality (both construction and material). The shoulders were soft and quite nice but the buttoning point was just a tad higher than what I like but not enough to stop me purchasing again. I took it to the tailor today and the only thing he changed was the sleeve length (the good) but because I have a lower right shoulder and the buttons are functional it ended up costing close to $100 as they had to take the sleeves off (the bad). My next suit purchase will probably be a PJ but I might pick up a suit from SS sometime in the future.
post #25219 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

So I have two wedding invitations this year, and I currently own 0 suits. Neither wedding is black/white tie - so a simple suit should suffice.

Thinking back over the discussions I've read, I can recall two major options for suiting in Australia:
- MJ Bale (plus alteration)
- PJ MTM

I know Romp's hinted at some other stuff, and people have mentioned Azzaro in Melbourne a few times as a place with some options (although the other retailers like American Tailors, and Henry Bucks are usually 'overpriced', correct?).

I suppose I'm tossing up whether it's worth going the MTM route (which is most money, but from reports of higher quality) or OTR + alterations (presuming the suits can be altered appropriately).

Some of the things that are attracting me to PJ are:
- Choice of cloth (since I sweat a lot and often feel 'too warm)
- Measurements done by someone who is (presumably) competent (I don't know a decent tailor, nor do I have much of an idea about what makes a good suit)
- Options (in terms of colours, construction, detailing)

How does that compare with MJ Bale? Have I missed any options that are worth considering?

Don't forget Herringbone. They are having a 50% off sale at present, although it finishes in a few days' time, I think. Although their current line doesn't inspire me too much, I think that's largely because I have too many suits already. If you're looking at MJ Bale (and I'd certainly encourage you to do so) then you should also look at Herringbone.
post #25220 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

 

try on a few MJ bale suits and see how they fit you. they have the 2 for $1k deal which is good value for money. their Collection range (about $1,300) is very good but for that range you may as well go for PJ. decisions, decisions. if i were you, to build a basic suit wardrobe, get MJB (preferably a navy and charcoal), and once the basics are down pat, move onto PJ. have a look at suitsupply too. they have a big thread here, about 50 pages of solid reading to go thru.

 

Thanks for the advice. I suppose my issue is that there's not a lot of point having a suit wardrobe per se (although 2 suits hardly constitutes a wardrobe), simply because a suit is so incredibly out of place and ridiculous in my field (public education at the middle years in low-income schools) I don't know I'd wear a suit for anything other than special occasions.

 

That being said, who knows? Maybe I'll be principal someday.

 

I'm a bit more wary of suitsupply, simply because I can't try them on (and I'm not confident in measuring myself for suit jackets/pants).

 

I'm in the same boat regarding suits, in that I need one for a wedding coming up but also don't need to wear them very often at all. Would one suit for both occasions suffice? As popular is navy is these days, maybe a dark grey would better suit you. Frankly if you aren't going to be wearing it much you probably don't need to look that hard for something that will last, more something that doesn't look cheap. Get something in a nice feeling 100% wool fabric that isn't shiny and fits well (there's a million posts on how a suit should fit around these parts, pretty much all of which agree that the shoulders need to end at your shoulders, most other areas can be altered to some extent.) and I suspect you'll get away with it. Also, dark grey is easily separated into odd coat and pants, so you could get a decent amount of use out of it after the fact(s), if you felt so inclined.

post #25221 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

So I have two wedding invitations this year, and I currently own 0 suits. Neither wedding is black/white tie - so a simple suit should suffice.

 

Thinking back over the discussions I've read, I can recall two major options for suiting in Australia:

- MJ Bale (plus alteration)

- PJ MTM

 

I know Romp's hinted at some other stuff, and people have mentioned Azzaro in Melbourne a few times as a place with some options (although the other retailers like American Tailors, and Henry Bucks are usually 'overpriced', correct?).

 

I suppose I'm tossing up whether it's worth going the MTM route (which is most money, but from reports of higher quality) or OTR + alterations (presuming the suits can be altered appropriately).

 

Some of the things that are attracting me to PJ are:

- Choice of cloth (since I sweat a lot and often feel 'too warm)

- Measurements done by someone who is (presumably) competent (I don't know a decent tailor, nor do I have much of an idea about what makes a good suit)

- Options (in terms of colours, construction, detailing)

 

How does that compare with MJ Bale? Have I missed any options that are worth considering?

PM'd

post #25222 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Fuuuuuuuuuuark. So tempting. In your pictures, it goes from brown to black, quite quickly.

I was probably casting a shadow over them in the second photo. The first pic is a better colour representation.

I responded to your PM too.
post #25223 of 57889
Hey guys, made a rookie error and bought a Stephen Schneider knit without checking the length measurements properly. Knit is pictured with measurements here.

I'm a slim 36, 6'0 and this was pretty slim on me and too short, so it would be great for someone who was shorter and possibly thinner. The knit on it is incredible, nicest sweater I've had handled. The colour is a little deeper than pictured on the website, but that may vary depending on your monitor. PM me if interested.
post #25224 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiji View Post

 

I'm in the same boat regarding suits, in that I need one for a wedding coming up but also don't need to wear them very often at all. Would one suit for both occasions suffice? As popular is navy is these days, maybe a dark grey would better suit you. Frankly if you aren't going to be wearing it much you probably don't need to look that hard for something that will last, more something that doesn't look cheap. Get something in a nice feeling 100% wool fabric that isn't shiny and fits well (there's a million posts on how a suit should fit around these parts, pretty much all of which agree that the shoulders need to end at your shoulders, most other areas can be altered to some extent.) and I suspect you'll get away with it. Also, dark grey is easily separated into odd coat and pants, so you could get a decent amount of use out of it after the fact(s), if you felt so inclined.


That's a great suggestion joiji!

 

I was thinking navy, but also toying with a mid-grey too.

 

I appreciate your suggestions, as it's easy to get lost in details but miss the bigger picture (suit won't get worn that much).

post #25225 of 57889
Noticed many of you own the herring reading in suede; all good things to say about them I hope? Trying to pick up a pair with chukkas since they look to be good value.
post #25226 of 57889
That's a shame Naka - looks really nice.
post #25227 of 57889
Yes...DHL now forward their packages to Auspost....

Herring shoes uses DHL now...major downgrade from UPS.
post #25228 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

So I have two wedding invitations this year, and I currently own 0 suits. Neither wedding is black/white tie - so a simple suit should suffice.

Thinking back over the discussions I've read, I can recall two major options for suiting in Australia:
- MJ Bale (plus alteration)
- PJ MTM

I know Romp's hinted at some other stuff, and people have mentioned Azzaro in Melbourne a few times as a place with some options (although the other retailers like American Tailors, and Henry Bucks are usually 'overpriced', correct?).

I suppose I'm tossing up whether it's worth going the MTM route (which is most money, but from reports of higher quality) or OTR + alterations (presuming the suits can be altered appropriately).

Some of the things that are attracting me to PJ are:
- Choice of cloth (since I sweat a lot and often feel 'too warm)
- Measurements done by someone who is (presumably) competent (I don't know a decent tailor, nor do I have much of an idea about what makes a good suit)
- Options (in terms of colours, construction, detailing)

How does that compare with MJ Bale? Have I missed any options that are worth considering?

Hi LM,

Further to Journeyman's recommendation re Herringbone. They have an elegant Charcoal suit off the Osaka block on sale for a song at 500 or so. It would be worth ringing around mate IMO. It may fit the bill for you.
post #25229 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmills View Post

I decided to stay home today in order to sign for a parcel. The tracking page has just updated, and is now showing delivery was apparently attempted at a time when I was at home. No delivery card can be found placed in the door or in with the mail. The parcel is now stuck at the local, which opens late and closes early, so there is no hope of collecting it in the next few days. Is it common for these Australia Post delivery drivers say "screw it" and lie about attempting delivery?

And yes, this was an expensive courier company that decided to forward the parcel on.

censored.gif
Another member and I posted about a similar situation a while ago...
In a word: yes.
post #25230 of 57889

Hi guys,

 

I am new to the forum and been reading it quite a bit lately. 

 

I bought two suits for 1k special from MJ Bale. The material feels good and I have been told they are all 100% Australian Marina wool. I paid another $100 for the extra trouser for each suit so 4 in total.

 

To my horror they have made mistakes twice for my pants hem shortening. first time was too long, it was probably because at the first measurement I was wearing loafer. 2nd time guess what, they were too short. it was to the extend the socks reveal without any break. I took it back to the flagship store and the manager was very nice and sorted it for me. at final last!

 

Two suits are the exact same cut. As you would expect the fit isn't perfect and there are a couple of adjustments to be made to make them look smart on me. I think the cut is a Italian style, with minimal padding on the shoulder. I prefer a slim style suits. Both suits are mainly for work purpose. I think I would need the following done:

- shorten the sleeves about an inch

- shorten the length of the jacket, about an inch as well

- Trouser is a bit too loose and needs to be slimmed down

- waist is a bit tight. I can button up but after a big meal I would struggle

 

So here are some of the questions I have:

- what people think about the quality of MJ Bale suits and their quality of the wool material? they claim they are 100% Australian Marina wool. They don't tell you if they are super 120 or something like that, just 100% wool...

- Most importantly, can someone recommend me a good tailor that can do a good job on suit alteration in Sydney without charging too much. I really don't know how much I should expect to pay for jobs described above.

- I have done a search on this forum (trust me I really tried), and some people recommend:

 

 - Hayel & Son Alteration & Tailoring

 

Any other suggestions? I got a couple of shirts need to be altered as well (shortening sleeves)

 

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any input.

 

Cheers

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members