or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1640

post #24586 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucius View Post

If you think it's bad in Sydney, I can only imagine that it's worse here in Melbourne. The new Westfield just opened up near my house about 3-4 weeks back, and the DJs had 30% off Loake! Pity they were all ugly and I had just bought new shoes.


I saw a dude wearing a black suit (looked like it was from Casual Guy) with tan "snake skin" shoes. Ugh...

Melbourne has Double Monk and American Tailor....definitely much better than Sydney
post #24587 of 54037
Yesterday's Melb meetup was great. Got to put faces to usernames. Interesting conversations and everyone was very cool. Cheers and hope to meet up again at the next one smile.gif
post #24588 of 54037
post #24589 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

Jason / other Canberra residents, I'll be vacating one sartorial wasteland --Brisbane-- for another in a few weeks. Anything you feel I need to know, both re: clothing and otherwise?

(Feel free to PM if you want to keep it out of this thread.)
mate I'll get back to you on Monday, I'm heading off to the snowies to chase a few trout for the weekend, but n short keep shopping online and go in and have a look at the few shops we do have (blades, ken cook etc), watch them look down there noses at you and walk out.

Plenty of bogans in Canberra (but not as many as Brisbane), and we really like driving up your ass even when your already going 90 in an 80 zone. Get used to roundabouts, though they are much better than the 100,000 sets of lights in brissie.

Canberra is a relly great city if you like the outdoors, only a few hours to the coast, Sydney and the snowies either way, so it's a great spot to base yourself in. And the city itself isn't as boring as a lot people make out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo-man View Post

Australia's best shoe shop (Melbourne)
http://www.styleforum.net/t/331251/australia-s-best-shoe-store-ever-anthony-cleverley-john-lobb-edward-green-crockett-jones-brilliant-shoo-porn-brand-new-store

Some examples of the footwear (all English):

Also a bespoke trunk show coming up in July. lt might be good if someone can P.M Sator to let him know. l will also contact John Cutler and a few people so they can let clients know. 
Is the the infamous Shooman?
post #24590 of 54037
find a friend and go to jamie's italian and order the steak for 2 for $60 - comes with greens and chips.

the duck ragu pasta is average so don't opt for that if you don't want a piece of meat.
post #24591 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

has anyone tried Nisolo shoes?

 

i was looking at getting some beater chukkas.

 

http://www.nisoloshoes.com/products/emilio-chukka/

 

at that price point, they're competing with Clark's DB's except they're "hand made" in peru by underprivileged people. not sure if that's supposed to mean a good or bad thing - could be good giving money to the poor, but poor craftsmanship 


Those look pretty interesting. Getting up towards the next level price range of brands like Red Wing.

 

Quality would be the big question obviously.

post #24592 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

Jason / other Canberra residents, I'll be vacating one sartorial wasteland --Brisbane-- for another in a few weeks. Anything you feel I need to know, both re: clothing and otherwise?

(Feel free to PM if you want to keep it out of this thread.)
mate I'll get back to you on Monday, I'm heading off to the snowies to chase a few trout for the weekend, but n short keep shopping online and go in and have a look at the few shops we do have (blades, ken cook etc), watch them look down there noses at you and walk out.

Plenty of bogans in Canberra (but not as many as Brisbane), and we really like driving up your ass even when your already going 90 in an 80 zone. Get used to roundabouts, though they are much better than the 100,000 sets of lights in brissie.

Canberra is a relly great city if you like the outdoors, only a few hours to the coast, Sydney and the snowies either way, so it's a great spot to base yourself in. And the city itself isn't as boring as a lot people make out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo-man View Post

Australia's best shoe shop (Melbourne)
http://www.styleforum.net/t/331251/australia-s-best-shoe-store-ever-anthony-cleverley-john-lobb-edward-green-crockett-jones-brilliant-shoo-porn-brand-new-store

Some examples of the footwear (all English):

Also a bespoke trunk show coming up in July. lt might be good if someone can P.M Sator to let him know. l will also contact John Cutler and a few people so they can let clients know. 
Is the the infamous Shooman?

Thanks Jason. I lived in Emerald (population 10,000 at the time) for a while so I'm sure I'll survive.

Re Shooman:
It reads like his writing, so I assume so.
post #24593 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post

Someone on here was talking about Carmina spectators and photos of them. There's a good set of photos here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/241469/carmina-shoe-p0rn/30 For example:
P1000341.jpg

Those are one of the best specs I have seen and I own a few vintage pairs.

You could rock those anyday with linen suits or non-dark summer suits or even lighter blue wool suits..
post #24594 of 54037
Quote:

 

Was also looking at this (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=2867):

 

 

 

 

Some nice looking boots. Also heard a lot of good things about the Wolverine 1000 miles and LL Bean Katahdins on Reddit's MFA theads; are they to be trusted?

 

I like those, and my new chukkas are in that last (which feels great to me so far).

Beware I have found that Herrings' pictures aren't always true-to-life on colour, so Im pretty certain these for example would be a fair bit lighter in person. Id try googling as many pics of whatever shoe to get real life shots.

 

I have a pair of Wolverines and highly recommend them for casual with jeans. However you have to see them in person to tell if you like the toe or not. Also the sizing isn't normal.

They have some great colours atm (Rust, Cordovan #8 colour ...ebay).

They're a great winter boot. Im looking to mix them with some new chelsea boots, but could've easily got another pair of these in black. 

post #24595 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSurg View Post

Yesterday's Melb meetup was great. Got to put faces to usernames. Interesting conversations and everyone was very cool. Cheers and hope to meet up again at the next one smile.gif

Likewise! Sorry I couldn't stay longer and meet lonermatt...
post #24596 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

Anyone work in Funds/Asset Management in Australia? What is the state of the current job market and how does one break into this field with 2 years of finance experience? More specifically guidance on what kind of jobs would be available to me at this level, and what skills would be required?

I did a stint at Platinum....whose offices are actually just above Herringbone at CQ.

 

They hire ex-ibers.

 

Most of the young lads have their CFA.

 

Edit:

 

JP and PoP, let's not get carried away. It takes a man to walk away.

 

Dusty Brogues, your 'Gold Coast' neighbour, Bernard Tomic, is playing the Fed Express tonight. I wonder whether he'll be driving his BMW to the game?


Edited by JimmyHoffa - 1/18/13 at 7:27pm
post #24597 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

I did a stint at Platinum....whose offices are actually just above Herringbone at CQ.

They hire ex-ibers.

Most of the young lads have their CFA.

Edit:

JP and PoP, let's not get carried away. It takes a man to walk away.

Dusty Brogues, your 'Gold Coast' neighbour, Bernard Tomic, is playing the Fed Express tonight. I wonder whether he'll be driving his BMW to the game?

You can see Bernie cruising around in his bright yellow Ferrari F430 with number plates SINCITY these days. He's a great talent but sadly talks too much...
post #24598 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Ed's new collection is here: http://edetal.sg/lookbook/3/

 

And his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/edetal.sg

 

Thanks for sharing.  Liking the cognac captoes there and maybe a pair of the splits.  Hope they put online ordering back on at some point.

post #24599 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

Ed's new collection is here: http://edetal.sg/lookbook/3/

 

And his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/edetal.sg

Cheers, had never heard of him but looks interesting. Do you have any experience with those shoes?

post #24600 of 54037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post

 

 

Carmina's are, from what I was told, more known for their cordovans, than their leathers/suedes. I've only owned suede pairs from Carmina, so I can't personally vouch for how the leathers wear over time. But when I was in their Barca store, the hand on the leathers were very supple and the shoes felt generally well made. The soles wear very well with time, and yep, they get more comfortable as time passes.

 

I know this wasn't a comparison between Carmina and Meermin (because I don't own Meermins) - apologies for that.

 

 

Thanks for the info, very useful! Will check out the Carmina Cordovan options when I get the chance.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members