Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
5 Tips to find the best pair of shoes for different occasion
Last edited: 1/2/14
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?
Australian Members - Page 1639
Styleforum Top Picks
Now go play in the sand pit with the other toddlers and try not to shit yourself this time ;-)
Was just boot 'window-shopping' online, thinking of footwear to go with a pair of jeans and came across these on Herring's website:
Was also looking at this (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=2867):
Some nice looking boots. Also heard a lot of good things about the Wolverine 1000 miles and LL Bean Katahdins on Reddit's MFA theads; are they to be trusted?
Someone on here was talking about Carmina spectators and photos of them. There's a good set of photos here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/241469/carmina-shoe-p0rn/30 For example:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nice but these are more to my taste and I think they'd be more versatile: http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640205
has anyone tried Nisolo shoes?
i was looking at getting some beater chukkas.
at that price point, they're competing with Clark's DB's except they're "hand made" in peru by underprivileged people. not sure if that's supposed to mean a good or bad thing - could be good giving money to the poor, but poor craftsmanship
By the time we got to Chat Thai the que was half a mile long, so settled for pizza and beer at Spiedo then went to the Gowings Bar for a GnT before the show.
Lots of blokes my age and younger in shorts too effing hot the State is spectacular as ever.
And DB great show, much more of a showman these days, last time I saw him was in 2005 missed the 2009 tour, St Vincent has great legs, and a voice to match. Pitty about the sound at times intresting take on some of the older material the choreography was well, he always had a strange way of dancing.
Then a couple of more GnT at Gowings, impressive selection of spirits finally had a chance to try Martin Miller gin.
The diverse dinner suguestions will be filled and google maped for future use.
Correct about the Indian last good one was Oh Calcutta in Darlo.
Sure - I guess what I was asking was whether there was something overt or tangible to understand in the difference of price; e.g. the materials with which either brand's shoe was constructed or the quality of the welting. I've been reading both the brand's websites but they don't tend to go into exhaustive detail about the specific leathers they are using. I guess I subscribe to the law of diminishing returns with this sort of stuff, so was curious as to whether there was something super-obvious that I was missing in looking at various shoes by Meermin or Carmina to attempt to 'justify' spending that extra dosh. I guess the first obvious thing between the 160 euro double monks and the Carmina ones would be bench-grade versus hand-grade construction. But even still something like this (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2050) is also hand-grade, yet significantly cheaper than this (http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640219), so I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything in the 'objective' category that would make me choose one over the other.
Having said that, I actually subjectively prefer the Carminas, and I suspect they probably use nicer leather (although their web-store is very uninformative in that regard).
Carmina's are, from what I was told, more known for their cordovans, than their leathers/suedes. I've only owned suede pairs from Carmina, so I can't personally vouch for how the leathers wear over time. But when I was in their Barca store, the hand on the leathers were very supple and the shoes felt generally well made. The soles wear very well with time, and yep, they get more comfortable as time passes.
I know this wasn't a comparison between Carmina and Meermin (because I don't own Meermins) - apologies for that.
Take what you read on the internet with a pinch of salt, but I vaguely recollect some chap on the blogosphere getting a complimentary pair of Meermins and after 6 months or so, the leather creasing wasn't great, and maybe even the sole was on the brink of coming off.
You could try Edwin from Ed et al. The hand on the new leather he's using for his shoes are supposed to be very good, and build/workmanship is, honestly, comparable to a lot of the big shoemakers. Not for one moment do I forget that you get what you pay for, you really get quite a bang for your buck at Ed's.
I'm in, would be nice to meet the folks around here.
- Australian Members
- › What are you drinking right now? 7 seconds ago
- › + + + DRIES VAN NOTEN + + + 24 seconds ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 4 minutes ago
- › John Fluevog 240 Wagon Brown Leather Ankle Boots Size 11 6 minutes ago
- › Blue Owl Workshop - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › 5 Tips to find the best pair of shoes for... by mahnoormalik
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw