or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1632

post #24466 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

 

 

most investment bank guys look the same. OTR dark suit plain or with chalk stripes, white or blue shirt with french cuffs. If you are in equities its no tie, IB is tie. No PS - ever but occasional banker cuff/collar. Any deviation from this gets the "alpha males" aka neanderthals worked up 

Spot on!

 

For equities, I only wear a tie when I have an external meeting. However, we did have a guy who used to wear a tie everyday to work, but he was more the exception than the rule.

post #24467 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by deingesicht View Post

Spot on!

 

For equities, I only wear a tie when I have an external meeting. However, we did have a guy who used to wear a tie everyday to work, but he was more the exception than the rule.

 

I hear that in IBs if you wear a banker collar you get the feedback "Who the f*k do you think you are, Gordon Gekko?!"

post #24468 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliechan View Post

I hear that in IBs if you wear a banker collar you get the feedback "Who the f*k do you think you are, Gordon Gekko?!"

Haha that's funny, but us young guys in the office make it a weekly thing. We have "BSD Fridays" or "Gordon Gekko Wednesdays" where we all put on the bankers shirt and even had one colleague wear a pair of red suspenders:

post #24469 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post


 had one colleague wear a pair of red suspenders:

 

"He wore CK Crimson suspenders. Beautiful. I grew light headed and sweaty. I wore the same pair in Navy I had purchased the day before, and they didn't look half as nice." 

post #24470 of 57889
Gekko Quote:
You see that building? I bought that building ten years ago. My first real estate deal. Sold it two years later, made an $800,000 profit. It was better than sex. At the time I thought that was all the money in the world. Now it's a day's pay....
post #24471 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGold View Post

Haha that's funny, but us young guys in the office make it a weekly thing. We have "BSD Fridays" or "Gordon Gekko Wednesdays" where we all put on the bankers shirt and even had one colleague wear a pair of red suspenders:

Investment banking sounds like a barrel of laughs! (Joking, joking!)

Anyway, here's yesterday's outfit:


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Details:

- MTO grey, sharkskin suit by Deer Style Brisbane;
- MTO blue, gingham check shirt by Deer Style Brisbane;
- White silk/cotton pocket square with blue borders by Herringbone Sydney;
- Brown neat silk print tie by Drake's;
- Chestnut C&J Audleys.

*Note: I am wearing blue-and-white-striped Albert Thurston braces under the jacket.
post #24472 of 57889
Any of you guys have any hookups for some temporary work? Canadian on a working holiday visa looking to find some work that isn't male prostitution. In Brisbane now but will fly to wherever if the job is legit. Retail management background with some office as well.
post #24473 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans724 View Post

Any of you guys have any hookups for some temporary work? Canadian on a working holiday visa looking to find some work that isn't male prostitution. In Brisbane now but will fly to wherever if the job is legit. Retail management background with some office as well.


Can't help in regard to temp work, but if you're interested in meeting some Brisbane people, I'll let you know when we're next catching up for coffee or lunch and you can come along, if you would like.
post #24474 of 57889
post #24475 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans724 View Post

Any of you guys have any hookups for some temporary work? Canadian on a working holiday visa looking to find some work that isn't male prostitution. In Brisbane now but will fly to wherever if the job is legit. Retail management background with some office as well.

I was thinking of getting a new secretary, but given your restriction it probably won't work out


Edited by deingesicht - 1/16/13 at 7:40pm
post #24476 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

 

Potentially - I've been caught up with a zillion things and no net access (which i didn't anticipate). I have something at 6pm, so I might only be around at the start (if we met at 5pm, for example) or later (if you guys met at 7).

 

It was suggested that some drinks on Spring Street might work, and I certainly think that'd be easily done.

 

What do you guys think?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

 

Supper club at 5pm (is it open then?)?

 

I am WAY out of the loop with places to go, though!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSurg View Post

Mind also blown, Rob. Eagerly awaiting your announcement.

For Melb guys, it seems Gerry and TBM may show up if there is a meetup. Matt is double booked but may drop by. I'm pretty keen. Should we hash out the details? Realistically, I can only get out of work at 6. Siglo/supper club if no other suggestions? There is another drinks place next to gin palace which is quite good, as another option...

 

 

Since nobody seems to be hashing out anything, let's go with Melbourne Supper Club from 5pm onwards. smile.gif

 

The address is Level 1/161 Spring St.

post #24477 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


I suspect that the Loake would be perfectly fine, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it's from the 1880 line and the quality is, in my experience, actually quite reasonable.
Secondly, the part of the vamp that gets the most wear is made from suede and, given that suede doesn't crease as visibly as calf leather, the quality of the leather used isn't as important as it might otherwise be.

If you have a look around, you might be able to find some other makers. I have a pair of very similar shoes that were made by Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers - there are a couple of photos here and here. However, they're not part of BB's current line up and I don't know if AS is offering them under their own name at present, either.

A quick internet search reveals that Barker Black (a separate firm from Barker, I believe) makes a similar model, which no doubt costs a bundle - see here.

Also, Skoaktiebolaget's (a shoe store in Sweden) website shows that they expect a Carmina spectator to arrive in March, but they have no further details.

Thanks for the reply. I love the Barker Black, but not at that price. I noticed that a couple have sold on the B&S forum, so I might just keep my eye out.

 

Is there any place in Melbourne where I can try on Barkers?

post #24478 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post




Since nobody seems to be hashing out anything, let's go with Melbourne Supper Club from 5pm onwards. smile.gif

The address is Level 1/161 Spring St.

Thanks for taking the reins GN. I will endeavour to put in an appearance.
post #24479 of 57889
Thanks, GN for that as well.
post #24480 of 57889
Quote:
Originally Posted by deingesicht View Post

Thanks for the reply. I love the Barker Black, but not at that price. I noticed that a couple have sold on the B&S forum, so I might just keep my eye out.

Is there any place in Melbourne where I can try on Barkers?

In my very limited experience with Barker's, whilst their construction is perfectly acceptable (channelled (but not hidden), goodyear-welted shoes), the leather quality lets them down. They do have an "anniversary" range, which I have heard uses better leather, but their standard calf-leather shoes crease quite badly. The creases on my only pair of Barker shoes are quite large, which I understand indicates a lower quality of leather. In comparison, the leather on my Berluti, Edward Green, Santoni and even C&J Handgrade shoes has very fine creases/wrinkles.

However, as I mentioned above, given that the area of the vamp that creases is made of suede on this style of spectator, I suppose that wouldn't be an issue for either the Loake or Barker shoes as suede doesn't show creases very much and they can be brushed after wearing.

Anyway, if I were to compare my pairs of Loake 1880 and Barker's regular line of shoes, I'd give Loake the edge in terms of quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members