or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1619

post #24271 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

You can get 30% off JLC from Monards or WOS. Saw it first hand last Saturday with a MC Hometime.

But totally agree with you. For something common with ETA innards such as a 3714, I'd go grey market.

+1 ..25-30% is standard and then claim the gst
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

First hand watch with a respectable in house movement at the $7-8,000 price point in a classic (i.e. not crazy trendy) size?

Easy - Zenith or JLC.

The Zenith El Primero range is pretty broad and I'm sure you'll find something up your alley - my pick is the 38mm El Primero with the tricolour dials. Another nice Zenith is the Captain Elite. You could easily pick up a JLC Reverso at that price too - either the base GT models or the TTR 1931, which is swish.

When negotiating a price - be firm but polite. Avoid using the word 'discount', especially in boutiques (as opposed to ADs). Use euphemisms like "price consideration", e.g. "Is this price open to consideration?". Smile a lot while negotiating a price. Eye contact too. Don't look stressed. You want them to know that you are serious about purchasing the watch, yet also not a pushover re: pricing.

Whilst i love my collection of JLCs i should warn that servicing them is expensive. i have 3 JLCs ... Grande ultra thin reverso limited ed, memovox and a classic and servicing is $600-700 a pop through official means. This is unavoidable if you need replacement parts rather than merely an oil. If just oil then there are a few places that will do it but unfortunately few and far between.. Im sure after the current generation of clockmakers it will be near impossible to avoid official service... Richemont monopoly...
post #24272 of 54034
Anyone got any particular Las Vegas tips beyond the norm? Good value food and places to go out in particular. All the casinos seem to blur into one.
post #24273 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

First hand watch with a respectable in house movement at the $7-8,000 price point in a classic (i.e. not crazy trendy) size?

Easy - Zenith or JLC.

The Zenith El Primero range is pretty broad and I'm sure you'll find something up your alley - my pick is the 38mm El Primero with the tricolour dials. Another nice Zenith is the Captain Elite. You could easily pick up a JLC Reverso at that price too - either the base GT models or the TTR 1931, which is swish.

When negotiating a price - be firm but polite. Avoid using the word 'discount', especially in boutiques (as opposed to ADs). Use euphemisms like "price consideration", e.g. "Is this price open to consideration?". Smile a lot while negotiating a price. Eye contact too. Don't look stressed. You want them to know that you are serious about purchasing the watch, yet also not a pushover re: pricing.

Exactly - thanks for the suggestions. I have the full Zenith catalog and there's definitely some nice models in there. Need to check out the JLC - was shown a perpetual calendar model in Monards, but it was around $25k, which is a little out of the budget range...

Interestingly enough at WOS when I was looking at the Brietling Transocean Chrono 1461 I asked if there was any flexibility in the pricing, but for that watch was responded to that if was a one off in the store and that they would weren't sure when they would get another one, so she'd need to speak with the manager - didn't push it any further as I was still deliberating on the IWC 3714...

Thanks for the advice - most appreciated. Cheers.
post #24274 of 54034

Are cedar hangers worth the investment in preventing moths/absorbing moisture? 

post #24275 of 54034
No. It's more of an aesthetic thing than anything. Just make sure your hangers are the right size and throw some cedar balls or lavender oil in your garment bag.
post #24276 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Are cedar hangers worth the investment in preventing moths/absorbing moisture? 

 

Nope - large hanger to fill shoulder of the jacket is good .. as is more space to let your garments breath... i try to slot my hand in between each jacket as a guide to ensure air flow

post #24277 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Anyone got any particular Las Vegas tips beyond the norm? Good value food and places to go out in particular. All the casinos seem to blur into one.

strip joints further out from town ... ultra seedy and adds to the experience lol

post #24278 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

the amout of people who rocked up in cargos and thongs amazed me. Is this some new trend in quality dinning I am not aware of?


I don't think it is not just a January thing nor a one hat phenomenon, I've noticed a more relaxed dress sense of late too. It seems as a minimum a closed toe shoe and a collar is too much to ask for even in higher end restaurants
post #24279 of 54034
I think someones mentioned the vintage watch shop in QVB. Nothing comes to mind but Fredmans over in the strand aracade. They dont carry any IWC, but mostly Rolex, Omega, Meistersinger, one or two audemars piguet and some breguet. All the rest are 'entry level'

As for Hacko, each to their own. I like and respect what he's done for the industry, but I feel sorry for anyone that has paid those prices. 'Vintage' or not...
post #24280 of 54034
does anybody know where i can buy knitted polo's that are reasonably priced i.e. not Gucci's $640 price tag?

Also, who has the brother/cousin/friend that recently opened a coffee shop in Syd and where is it again?

Cheers
post #24281 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Anyone got any particular Las Vegas tips beyond the norm? Good value food and places to go out in particular. All the casinos seem to blur into one.
strip joints further out from town ... ultra seedy and adds to the experience lol

Make sure to eat breakfast in a stripclub at least once.
post #24282 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvish View Post

Also, who has the brother/cousin/friend that recently opened a coffee shop in Syd and where is it again?
 

 

That would be Romp and this would be the place: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dulce-Luna-Viennoiserie/470082533035327

post #24283 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

+1 ..25-30% is standard and then claim the gst
Whilst i love my collection of JLCs i should warn that servicing them is expensive. i have 3 JLCs ... Grande ultra thin reverso limited ed, memovox and a classic and servicing is $600-700 a pop through official means. This is unavoidable if you need replacement parts rather than merely an oil. If just oil then there are a few places that will do it but unfortunately few and far between.. Im sure after the current generation of clockmakers it will be near impossible to avoid official service... Richemont monopoly...

Out of curiosity - how often are you servicing your watches?
post #24284 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

I think someones mentioned the vintage watch shop in QVB. Nothing comes to mind but Fredmans over in the strand aracade. They dont carry any IWC, but mostly Rolex, Omega, Meistersinger, one or two audemars piguet and some breguet. All the rest are 'entry level'

As for Hacko, each to their own. I like and respect what he's done for the industry, but I feel sorry for anyone that has paid those prices. 'Vintage' or not...

Fredman has iwc just not many
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvish View Post

does anybody know where i can buy knitted polo's that are reasonably priced i.e. not Gucci's $640 price tag?

Also, who has the brother/cousin/friend that recently opened a coffee shop in Syd and where is it again?

Cheers

That'd be me.. Cnr king and York dulce Luna
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

Out of curiosity - how often are you servicing your watches?

Varies.. Just when I'm losing/gaining more than 2mins a day.. Probably about every 7 or 8 years unless I trade them first (sometimes better off getting new than paying the srrvice)
post #24285 of 54034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

Fredman has iwc just not many

Just one as it was a trade in. They dont officially carry them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members