or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1596

post #23926 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

That's very unfortunate.
The only thing that I've ordered online from MJ Bale was a few polo shirts late last year and I had a very positive experience - they were shipped quickly, arrived in a couple of days, and everything was in place and accounted for.

"Largely ignorant, but slowly learning"

Time to update this? You've been on here 7 years!
post #23927 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconiumZephyr View Post

so, ordered some Meermin LM's last week and they arrived today....5 days from Mallorca biggrin.gif

They're lovely, easily the nicest pair of shoes I own.

700


Unfortunately in my haste to get them on, I had a casualty frown.gif

700
Nice, must be Meermin's quickest ever delivery time. Most people don't even get an invoice in that time these days.
post #23928 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconiumZephyr View Post

so, ordered some Meermin LM's last week and they arrived today....5 days from Mallorca biggrin.gif

They're lovely, easily the nicest pair of shoes I own.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
700

wow those meermin's are really nice mate. out of curiosity what colour belt are you wearing with yours?

I'm wearing my AE strands for the first time today to work - fit like a glove icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


post #23929 of 56066
^^I think you could’ve done better with ½ size up .The V looks a bit too wide form the picture.
post #23930 of 56066
rotflmao.gif
Gents, suits for $50. Forget about mj bale 2 for $1k. Get 2 for $100…….
Details here….
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/90191

Stock them up before they are all gone…….
post #23931 of 56066

Altona Gate is close by - I'm going to pick up a boatload! Thanks for the head up!!!! Do you think they'll give me a discount if I buy more than one?

 

 

Oh Happy Day!

post #23932 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

That's very unfortunate.
The only thing that I've ordered online from MJ Bale was a few polo shirts late last year and I had a very positive experience - they were shipped quickly, arrived in a couple of days, and everything was in place and accounted for.

This was my experience too.

I ordered a tan unstructured, unlined linen/cotton blend jacket from them online and it arrived 2 days later, in a proper box and on a hanger. The measurements I was provided with were all accurate. The only problem was that the sleeves were functional (even though I was told by a sales representative that they weren't). Thankfully, the sleeve length only needed to be altered marginally so this wasn't an issue.

However, it's precisely this kind of oversight (or lack of knowledge) that generally doesn't happen with overseas merchants, that keeps many Australian ones lagging behind.
post #23933 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

 

Yeah I'm not a fan. They're always appallingly low on stock and inflexible with their deals. It's a shame, because they make some great stuff. 

 

MJ Bale or MJ Fail?

post #23934 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

Altona Gate is close by - I'm going to pick up a boatload! Thanks for the head up!!!! Do you think they'll give me a discount if I buy more than one?


Oh Happy Day!
Tell them you are a sf member. And demand a 10% off.
post #23935 of 56066

I have a couple of questions for you fine Australian SF members.

 

I'm off to MJ Bale in the oncoming days to buy a couple of suits. I heard a mention of a 2-for-$1400 deal for the high end quality suits, is this still/was it ever going? How's the quality of the 3-for-$150 ties, worth buying? Or should I just check out American Tailors $79 Drakes ties (if there is stock left)?

 

My most important question is, what should I be looking for in the fit of the suits? I have a quite slim frame, so I'm guessing I'll have to have alterations done, but what should definitely fit (shoulders and length of jacket?) and what can be easily tailored (sleeve and pants length and taper?)?

 

What are some starter colour ties for a navy and charcoal suit?

 

Does David Jones stock the Loake 1880 range, or just the standard Loake range?

 

Also, any recommendations for a decent tailor in Melbourne that will be able to alter my newly acquired suits?

 

Cheers if you guys can help me out with all, or any, of my queries.

post #23936 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejake View Post

I have a couple of questions for you fine Australian SF members.

I'm off to MJ Bale in the oncoming days to buy a couple of suits. I heard a mention of a 2-for-$1400 deal for the high end quality suits, is this still/was it ever going? How's the quality of the 3-for-$150 ties, worth buying? Or should I just check out American Tailors $79 Drakes ties (if there is stock left)?

My most important question is, what should I be looking for in the fit of the suits? I have a quite slim frame, so I'm guessing I'll have to have alterations done, but what should definitely fit (shoulders and length of jacket?) and what can be easily tailored (sleeve and pants length and taper?)?

What are some starter colour ties for a navy and charcoal suit?

Does David Jones stock the Loake 1880 range, or just the standard Loake range?

Also, any recommendations for a decent tailor in Melbourne that will be able to alter my newly acquired suits?

Cheers if you guys can help me out with all, or any, of my queries.
Jake,

Yes look for shoulders and chest in the coat to fit first, these are hard to impossible to alter for most tailors. Waist and hips can be taken in quite easily and sleeves can be altered easy enough as they have non working buttonholes. Trousers are un-finished anyway. That suit deal was going a while ago, no idea if it still is.

Re ties: You can't go wrong with navy, blues, dark red/maroon, darker greens (more of an autumn/winter colour) and silver/grey. My only advice would be to stay away from pastel colours and stick to stripes, plains and tasteful patterns. I don't have experience with MJ Bale ties, all too thin for me (not that I buy ties anywhere else anymore). The locals I'm sure can help you with a tailor though MJ Bale will do it for you too if you head in-store.

Cheers
Jason
post #23937 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejake View Post

I have a couple of questions for you fine Australian SF members.

 

I'm off to MJ Bale in the oncoming days to buy a couple of suits. I heard a mention of a 2-for-$1400 deal for the high end quality suits, is this still/was it ever going? How's the quality of the 3-for-$150 ties, worth buying? Or should I just check out American Tailors $79 Drakes ties (if there is stock left)?

 

My most important question is, what should I be looking for in the fit of the suits? I have a quite slim frame, so I'm guessing I'll have to have alterations done, but what should definitely fit (shoulders and length of jacket?) and what can be easily tailored (sleeve and pants length and taper?)?

 

What are some starter colour ties for a navy and charcoal suit?

 

Does David Jones stock the Loake 1880 range, or just the standard Loake range?

 

Also, any recommendations for a decent tailor in Melbourne that will be able to alter my newly acquired suits?

 

Cheers if you guys can help me out with all, or any, of my queries.

If you're in Melbourne go to Azzaro - much better value than MJ suits IMHO. They use a tailor in South Yarra, Arthur Korderas, can recommend his work being very good.

 

Don't buy Loakes from DJs - the range is rubbish. Go to Beggar Man Thief in South Melbourne, after Azzaro, to try on more Loakes (you could also go to Double Monk if you wanted some C&Js - their range is better than American Tailors). If you wanted to save some $$, try the shoes on here and go buy from pediwear or herringshoes.

post #23938 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejake View Post

I have a couple of questions for you fine Australian SF members.

 

I'm off to MJ Bale in the oncoming days to buy a couple of suits. I heard a mention of a 2-for-$1400 deal for the high end quality suits, is this still/was it ever going? How's the quality of the 3-for-$150 ties, worth buying? Or should I just check out American Tailors $79 Drakes ties (if there is stock left)?

 

 

.

 

Aussie Jake have a look on the Henry Carter site for their ties, general consensus "excellente". May even have a sale still running.

 

Stay outta the sun.

post #23939 of 56066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post
Jake,
Yes look for shoulders and chest in the coat to fit first, these are hard to impossible to alter for most tailors. Waist and hips can be taken in quite easily and sleeves can be altered easy enough as they have non working buttonholes. Trousers are un-finished anyway. That suit deal was going a while ago, no idea if it still is.
Re ties: You can't go wrong with navy, blues, dark red/maroon, darker greens (more of an autumn/winter colour) and silver/grey. My only advice would be to stay away from pastel colours and stick to stripes, plains and tasteful patterns. I don't have experience with MJ Bale ties, all too thin for me (not that I buy ties anywhere else anymore). The locals I'm sure can help you with a tailor though MJ Bale will do it for you too if you head in-store.
Cheers
Jason

 

Cheers for that information. MJ Bale will tailor in store? At a cost is it?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deingesicht View Post

 

If you're in Melbourne go to Azzaro - much better value than MJ suits IMHO. They use a tailor in South Yarra, Arthur Korderas, can recommend his work being very good.

 

Don't buy Loakes from DJs - the range is rubbish. Go to Beggar Man Thief in South Melbourne, after Azzaro, to try on more Loakes (you could also go to Double Monk if you wanted some C&Js - their range is better than American Tailors). If you wanted to save some $$, try the shoes on here and go buy from pediwear or herringshoes.

I will check them out, although I'm quite keen to go for MJ Bale due to the good reputation they have around here.

 

Oh, I wasn't going to buy them from David Jones. Just going in to try some on and get sizing ideas, then buying online.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

Aussie Jake have a look on the Henry Carter site for their ties, general consensus "excellente". May even have a sale still running.

 

Stay outta the sun.

Will do, do they have any stockists in store? The website has a limited range.

post #23940 of 56066
They wouldn't do it in store I dare say and usually they would charge, but no more than any other tailor would and you have the added insurance that if it's buggered up they need to take responsibility.

Re my ties; yes we are a bit low on stock, a lot of stuff is sold out over the holiday period but I do have a stockist in Melbourne, Ludlows on Lonsdale St and they will have a fair bit of stuff that I don't anymore. There were 6 new 7 folds and 5 new knit ties added to the site last week but it's kind of mid-season now so there wont be anything new until March, when the Autumn/Winter stuff comes out. There will be plenty of new grenadines, wool and some more wintery printed silks amongst other things.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members