Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 1532
Styleforum Top Pickspost #22967 of 5493512/10/12 at 2:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by tobiasj
I just got a pair of shell cordovan Florsheim longwings off the 'bay. As you can see they are pretty worn, but they fit really well so I'm keen to restore them to some sort of glory. Looks like they will need a re-heel; the sole might last a bit longer I think.
The main issue though is the colour. They're burgundy in places, but the vamp and medallion at the front are nearly black. I guess this could be because someone has used a black wax on them? Not sure. Should I apply some sort of cleaner, or just brush them? If it's just brushing, do I need to use a particular kind of brush?
All comments, advice or sledging welcome.
I love those shoes - I have three pairs in cordovan - two in burgundy and one black. They are not especially elegant, but then again nor are my flappers, so we are a good match.
Here are somethings I have discovered. If you find a well used pair in burgundy, there is no avoiding the darker tones on the toes. I don't think it is related to black wax - I think it is related to exposure to light. I have one pair which is new-old-stock and they are much brighter and redder. They darken with age from red to a deep mahogany. The difference in shade is caused by the higher parts sitting under the trousers.
The second thing I have discovered is that old cordovan can be a bit fragile. My NOS long wings have split through the brogueing - despite me conditioning them. I suspect, without proof or knowledge, that the more used a shoe the better. I thin the NOS shoes may have been sitting around for a couple of decades quietly drying out.
Enjoy.post #22968 of 5493512/10/12 at 2:29pmpost #22969 of 5493512/10/12 at 2:29pmpost #22970 of 5493512/10/12 at 3:22pmQuote:
Modern Tailor trial shirt > $20. Cheap mistake if it doesn't work for you.
I'd recommend if you're going for the fitted look that you take a couple cms off your measurements as they add a bit even if you go for the slim fit option & at least for me shirts have worked out to be a bit too big through the waist & hips.
Otherwise if you can part with a really well fitting shirt for a couple weeks they can supposedly copy it perfectly.post #22971 of 5493512/10/12 at 3:55pmQuote:
The copy a shirt option does interest me. However, I've heard that with some makers when they copy the shirt measurement, they don't allow for the seam allowance and you end up with a shirt that fits smaller than the one you gave in. I'd assume Cottonwork is above this?post #22972 of 5493512/10/12 at 4:01pmQuote:\
TBM I'm a veteran of the online shirt thang, all from Modern Tailor.
The most important thing is to start with the OTR shirt that you have that fits you the best. Measure the shirt and punch those numbers in, altering them a little where you see fit (don't use body measurements, this method is notorious for working out badly). Then when you get the shirt, wash it a couple of times, wear it and critique the fit (do it yourself and/or post pics on here for feedback). Then adjust your measurements as necessary and order again.
The Modern Tailor $20 shirt is definitely the way to go first up. Once you have your fit dialled in (this might unfortunately take more than one attempt) you might want to try other makers--Luxire seem excellent.
I love online MTM for shirts, but I must admit that getting my measurements just right was not an easy or fast process. Also, your tolerance for a less than perfect fit goes down. Still worth it though IMO, particularly if you are hard to fit in OTR shirts.post #22973 of 5493512/10/12 at 4:13pmQuote:
BM - I've used Modern Tailor in the past using body measurements and got very wishy-washy results. Not bad, but not great. That said I was using my body measurements - I am sure if I was willing to keep forking out, I could have perfected the fit over a number of shirts. I did find that the finishing on MT shirts were a little on the rough side.
On a tip from Tobiasj I recently started with Luxire, and I think the finishing is far better then MT. This time I was able to use the measurements from a PJ shirt, so the fit was dead on. I am going to be ordering more from Luxire over the next few months.post #22974 of 5493512/10/12 at 4:28pmpost #22975 of 5493512/10/12 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by thebrownman
The copy a shirt option does interest me. However, I've heard that with some makers when they copy the shirt measurement, they don't allow for the seam allowance and you end up with a shirt that fits smaller than the one you gave in. I'd assume Cottonwork is above this?
Yes.post #22976 of 5493512/10/12 at 5:14pmI've fallen behind a bit in posting what I've been wearing of late, so I thought that I'd put up some photos of recent outfits.
This is what I wore to the Brisbane get-together at Tattersall's Club a bit over a week ago.
Now you see them:
Now you don't:
A few more shots under the spoiler: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
- MTO suit in mid-grey sharkskin by Deer Style;
- MTO shirt in sky blue, end-on-end weave fabric by Deer Style;
- MTO tie in navy silk with a neat print of green and blue flowers, by Tessitura Albeni for Deer Style;
- White linen pocket square by Kent Wang;
- Braces by Brooks Brothers' "Golden Fleece" line (probably made by Albert Thurston for BB);
- Green cotton Uniqlo socks; and
- C&J Drummonds in beechnut.post #22977 of 5493512/10/12 at 8:01pmpost #22978 of 5493512/10/12 at 8:05pmQuote:
Thanks PG, you should have literally shouted out! Suit is cotton in fact.post #22979 of 5493512/10/12 at 8:25pm
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › TOJ 46 Brown Lamb A2 13 seconds ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 18 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 3 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Adrian Jules 42R Sport Coat *Surgeon Cuff* Heavy Wool 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 7 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)