Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/29/15 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 1532
Styleforum Top Pickspost #22967 of 6407612/10/12 at 2:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by tobiasj
I just got a pair of shell cordovan Florsheim longwings off the 'bay. As you can see they are pretty worn, but they fit really well so I'm keen to restore them to some sort of glory. Looks like they will need a re-heel; the sole might last a bit longer I think.
The main issue though is the colour. They're burgundy in places, but the vamp and medallion at the front are nearly black. I guess this could be because someone has used a black wax on them? Not sure. Should I apply some sort of cleaner, or just brush them? If it's just brushing, do I need to use a particular kind of brush?
All comments, advice or sledging welcome.
I love those shoes - I have three pairs in cordovan - two in burgundy and one black. They are not especially elegant, but then again nor are my flappers, so we are a good match.
Here are somethings I have discovered. If you find a well used pair in burgundy, there is no avoiding the darker tones on the toes. I don't think it is related to black wax - I think it is related to exposure to light. I have one pair which is new-old-stock and they are much brighter and redder. They darken with age from red to a deep mahogany. The difference in shade is caused by the higher parts sitting under the trousers.
The second thing I have discovered is that old cordovan can be a bit fragile. My NOS long wings have split through the brogueing - despite me conditioning them. I suspect, without proof or knowledge, that the more used a shoe the better. I thin the NOS shoes may have been sitting around for a couple of decades quietly drying out.
Enjoy.post #22968 of 6407612/10/12 at 2:29pmpost #22969 of 6407612/10/12 at 2:29pmpost #22970 of 6407612/10/12 at 3:22pmQuote:
Modern Tailor trial shirt > $20. Cheap mistake if it doesn't work for you.
I'd recommend if you're going for the fitted look that you take a couple cms off your measurements as they add a bit even if you go for the slim fit option & at least for me shirts have worked out to be a bit too big through the waist & hips.
Otherwise if you can part with a really well fitting shirt for a couple weeks they can supposedly copy it perfectly.post #22971 of 6407612/10/12 at 3:55pmQuote:
The copy a shirt option does interest me. However, I've heard that with some makers when they copy the shirt measurement, they don't allow for the seam allowance and you end up with a shirt that fits smaller than the one you gave in. I'd assume Cottonwork is above this?post #22972 of 6407612/10/12 at 4:01pmQuote:\
TBM I'm a veteran of the online shirt thang, all from Modern Tailor.
The most important thing is to start with the OTR shirt that you have that fits you the best. Measure the shirt and punch those numbers in, altering them a little where you see fit (don't use body measurements, this method is notorious for working out badly). Then when you get the shirt, wash it a couple of times, wear it and critique the fit (do it yourself and/or post pics on here for feedback). Then adjust your measurements as necessary and order again.
The Modern Tailor $20 shirt is definitely the way to go first up. Once you have your fit dialled in (this might unfortunately take more than one attempt) you might want to try other makers--Luxire seem excellent.
I love online MTM for shirts, but I must admit that getting my measurements just right was not an easy or fast process. Also, your tolerance for a less than perfect fit goes down. Still worth it though IMO, particularly if you are hard to fit in OTR shirts.post #22973 of 6407612/10/12 at 4:13pmQuote:
BM - I've used Modern Tailor in the past using body measurements and got very wishy-washy results. Not bad, but not great. That said I was using my body measurements - I am sure if I was willing to keep forking out, I could have perfected the fit over a number of shirts. I did find that the finishing on MT shirts were a little on the rough side.
On a tip from Tobiasj I recently started with Luxire, and I think the finishing is far better then MT. This time I was able to use the measurements from a PJ shirt, so the fit was dead on. I am going to be ordering more from Luxire over the next few months.post #22974 of 6407612/10/12 at 4:28pmpost #22975 of 6407612/10/12 at 4:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by thebrownman
The copy a shirt option does interest me. However, I've heard that with some makers when they copy the shirt measurement, they don't allow for the seam allowance and you end up with a shirt that fits smaller than the one you gave in. I'd assume Cottonwork is above this?
Yes.post #22976 of 6407612/10/12 at 5:14pmI've fallen behind a bit in posting what I've been wearing of late, so I thought that I'd put up some photos of recent outfits.
This is what I wore to the Brisbane get-together at Tattersall's Club a bit over a week ago.
Now you see them:
Now you don't:
A few more shots under the spoiler: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
- MTO suit in mid-grey sharkskin by Deer Style;
- MTO shirt in sky blue, end-on-end weave fabric by Deer Style;
- MTO tie in navy silk with a neat print of green and blue flowers, by Tessitura Albeni for Deer Style;
- White linen pocket square by Kent Wang;
- Braces by Brooks Brothers' "Golden Fleece" line (probably made by Albert Thurston for BB);
- Green cotton Uniqlo socks; and
- C&J Drummonds in beechnut.post #22977 of 6407612/10/12 at 8:01pmpost #22978 of 6407612/10/12 at 8:05pmQuote:
Thanks PG, you should have literally shouted out! Suit is cotton in fact.post #22979 of 6407612/10/12 at 8:25pm
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
- › PANTA, J.Lindberg trousers 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › GMTO: Carmina Chocolate Brown Suede Oxford or My Next OneShoe 11 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 12 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 14 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...