or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1491

post #22351 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

This is why I don't post much in WAYWRN anymore as well. Some of the critiques are so ridiculously picky that it's just not worth it, and then you see the same critiquers post stuff that is completely ridiculous. Then you have guys that think it's there god given right to never post any fits but be complete pricks to everyone else for no real reason. Stitch seems like a nice guy buy yes he shouldn't post as much and most likely has some i/net addiction issues to deal with I'd say. It's sad to see a lot of the old gaurd gone from the thread though.

As I said on the thread, but for a handful of guys, it should be renamed:

WTFAYWRN??!!
post #22352 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post


You couold try this not European but SWMBO likes them http://www.minniecooper.co.nz/womens-shoes

Thanks mate, l will let my significant other know.

PS My old stomping grounds include the tough streets of the NSW Riverina. Wagga, Albury, Gffth are all fading away from their former glory of the proud one or two street towns. Regional shopping centres filled with hordes of chains, l believe have created that change. Decentralising the heart of the town, the people follow the malls, leaving the main streets baron with the old generational businesses floundering. Who needs a proud family owned deli when you have Michele's Patisserie in a carbon copy mall.

post #22353 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

This is why I don't post much in WAYWRN anymore as well. Some of the critiques are so ridiculously picky that it's just not worth it, and then you see the same critiquers post stuff that is completely ridiculous. Then you have guys that think it's there god given right to never post any fits but be complete pricks to everyone else for no real reason. Stitch seems like a nice guy buy yes he shouldn't post as much and most likely has some i/net addiction issues to deal with I'd say. It's sad to see a lot of the old gaurd gone from the thread though.

Completely agree. There's a few posters I've seen in that thread with 12,000+ posts who have never posted a single fit pick, yet act like a complete and utter prick to anyone that does. Then you get people like InStitches with 32,000+ posts and has failed to learn even the most basics about mens clothing (see the Rise comment earlier) but insists that he is correct and others are wrong. Then you see the guy's fits and they are average at best. Yes he is overweight and quite top heavy which throws off the aesthetic, but even DigMeNow's fits are better and he is only relatively new. It's gotten to the point where he fills that thread with so much Spoo fanboy and other random shit that I've had to put him on ignore. Now when I go in all I see on every page in every 2nd post is "This user is on your ignore list".

I remember lurking the WAYWRN thread back in 06-07 and then browsing it daily and asking questions when I joined the site in 2008. Now I only check it maybe twice a week, and when I do check it I'm only really looking for 3 posters (Spoo, Timotune and Tirailleur) and 2 of them rarely post anymore.

/rant
post #22354 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post

Completely agree. There's a few posters I've seen in that thread with 12,000+ posts who have never posted a single fit pick, yet act like a complete and utter prick to anyone that does. Then you get people like InStitches with 32,000+ posts and has failed to learn even the most basics about mens clothing (see the Rise comment earlier) but insists that he is correct and others are wrong. Then you see the guy's fits and they are average at best. Yes he is overweight and quite top heavy which throws off the aesthetic, but even DigMeNow's fits are better and he is only relatively new. It's gotten to the point where he fills that thread with so much Spoo fanboy and other random shit that I've had to put him on ignore. Now when I go in all I see on every page in every 2nd post is "This user is on your ignore list".
I remember lurking the WAYWRN thread back in 06-07 and then browsing it daily and asking questions when I joined the site in 2008. Now I only check it maybe twice a week, and when I do check it I'm only really looking for 3 posters (Spoo, Timotune and Tirailleur) and 2 of them rarely post anymore.
/rant

Of all those that used to post there, I wish Vox would do so again.

But check out Victor's thread... lotsa fun by a guy wh dresses well but doesn't take it too seriously.
post #22355 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post

Of all those that used to post there, I wish Vox would do so again.
But check out Victor's thread... lotsa fun by a guy wh dresses well but doesn't take it too seriously.

Whilst I appreciated Vox's immaculate fits, in a way I'm sort of glad he doesn't post here anymore. Seeing his pics quoted on every single post over the course of 3-4 pages was pretty annoying. I wish he updated his blog with fits though.

I really like Victors miniblog. Guy is CEO'n 10k/day and dresses like a boss.
post #22356 of 54899

^I knew he had some cash but WOW!

And speaking of linen shirts would you guy's go with a soft collar (unfused) and unfused cuffs?

Have you tried a soft collar and/or unfused cuffs in any of your shirts (regardless if linen or not)?

post #22357 of 54899

Quick sales update for Sydney, although with the boutiques the sale dates are probably the same country wide.

 

Burberry - officially starts Sat 1 December - 30% off Prorsum apparel, 20% off London and Prorsum accessories. Good for next winter, if you can think about that far ahead in the heat. Probably further drops in coming weeks will make some stuff more attractive.

 

Salvatore Ferragamo sale starts Wed 5 December, preview night Tuesday 4 December. Shoes are maybe not up to exacting SF standards, but are very well made, wear well and fit consistently.

 

Robby Ingham sale starts today in Paddington, although I haven't been there in a while - not sure what the stock is like. All black, last time I was in.

post #22358 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

^I knew he had some cash but WOW!
And speaking of linen shirts would you guy's go with a soft collar (unfused) and unfused cuffs?
Have you tried a soft collar and/or unfused cuffs in any of your shirts (regardless if linen or not)?

CEO 10k/day is just a figure of speech. All of my MTM shirts have unfused collars and cuffs.
post #22359 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvish View Post

Style is personal so I don't think that anybody can completely comment on someone's attire unless that is the person the poster is trying to emulate. I may get bashed here, and definitely would on some other threads, but I think the majority of the Isia, Borrelli and Oxxford suits posted on the forum look terrible. But that's because my style is very soft shoulders and a very slim suit.

Borrelli suits usually do have quite soft shoulders and a slim fit. There are, of course, various models out there, so I suppose that some differ. I think that Brioni suits and jackets tend to have stronger shoulders although the jacket that I'm wearing today has quite soft, minimal padding.

With regard to the WAYWRN thread, I think that the quality of the fits and the combinations are variable, even amongst particular posters. Some people will look great one day, but pretty ordinary the next. I know that applies to me!

I do agree that there is a bit of slavish devotion to particular members, too, to the detriment of others, as the photos of popular posters just get quoted and requoted and a lots of other posts end up being overlooked or forgotten. Thankfully, some newer posters do get useful feedback provided to them, but others just end up on the receiving end of a load of snark, which is a pity as it clearly doesn't help them to improve their outfits and most likely discourages them from posting any further.

The quality of photos posted also depends largely upon the resources able to be devoted to taking the photos. As an example, Graeme Wong (Phat Guido) clearly devoted a good deal of time to taking photos of himself and his clothes - deciding on good camera angles, lighting, poses and so on. Most people - including myself - just don't have the time, or couldn't be bothered making the effort, or don't want to take lots of photos of ourselves in public for fear that people will think that we are even more odd than we already look!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvish View Post

Edit: BTW, is there a link that shows the method to achieve that "dimple" knot JM (or others)? I reckon I hit it with a 90% strike rate out of pure luck... I tried searching, didn't see any of use but if you think I should go back just tell me and i'll search some more.

I don't have a particular method, but I have found that using ties with really "slippery" silk makes it more difficult to get a good dimple. Ties that have thicker/firmer silk tend to get better dimples, particularly silk twill or madder silk.

I use a "double four-in-hand" knot, so I wrap the front blade of the tie around the tail twice before tucking the blade down through the loop and pulling it tight. I also give the bottom of the knot a light pinch just as I'm pulling it tight, so as to give the knot a nice "v" shape and I suppose that might help the top of the blade to dimple nicely.

Anyway, here are some photos of today's outfit:


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)









- Brioni jacket in "virgin wool", navy with a faint orange and brown windowpane;
- Blue-and-white mini-gingham check Borrelli shirt;
- Brown print mogador (cotton and silk blend) tie from Herringbone;
- Maroon pocket square in madder silk;
- Grey odd trousers from Herringbone;
- Brown calf-and-suede spectator shoes by Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers.
post #22360 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post


Completely agree. There's a few posters I've seen in that thread with 12,000+ posts who have never posted a single fit pick, yet act like a complete and utter prick to anyone that does. Then you get people like InStitches with 32,000+ posts and has failed to learn even the most basics about mens clothing (see the Rise comment earlier) but insists that he is correct and others are wrong. Then you see the guy's fits and they are average at best. Yes he is overweight and quite top heavy which throws off the aesthetic, but even DigMeNow's fits are better and he is only relatively new. It's gotten to the point where he fills that thread with so much Spoo fanboy and other random shit that I've had to put him on ignore. Now when I go in all I see on every page in every 2nd post is "This user is on your ignore list".
I remember lurking the WAYWRN thread back in 06-07 and then browsing it daily and asking questions when I joined the site in 2008. Now I only check it maybe twice a week, and when I do check it I'm only really looking for 3 posters (Spoo, Timotune and Tirailleur) and 2 of them rarely post anymore.
/rant

It used to be a great thread to check for ideas, for general learning and to see an amazing range of amazing fits from guys who had thrifted everything they were wearing to bigtimers like vox and spoo. For some reason, rather than just taking inspiration some guys appear to be deeply in love with spoo. I think this is one of the reasons he posts less, and the same with vox. Sure, these guys post some great stuff (in part because they appear to have great incomes) but why praise them again and again for it? I really appreciated Timotune, because although he did a few things which were a bit too fashion forward for my taste, he was quite interesting and clearly had his own sense of style.

 

What I really don't get is complete newbies posting plain suits, block colour shirts and average ties and expecting praise? There is nothing wrong with this look, as it's CBD and what most people would wear, but is it worth posting on a style thread? 

post #22361 of 54899

Anyone know any good shaving shops in Melbourne? Going to buy myself a straight razor for Christmas (may or may not be because of skyfall) and would prefer to get a whole kit.

post #22362 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

Anyone know any good shaving shops in Melbourne? Going to buy myself a straight razor for Christmas (may or may not be because of skyfall) and would prefer to get a whole kit.

mensbiz.com.au

They have a retail space in Richmond
post #22363 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaggio View Post

mensbiz.com.au

+1
post #22364 of 54899
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

i saw them remove the lockers at the post office near my work (Parramatta). barely anyone used them, and when they were using them, it was faulty/needed assistance from staff.

A lot of people, including myself, use them extensively in Melb CBD. Too many actually - they are always full, meaning that you have to knock on the back door to get your parcel (which goes completely against the idea of the parcel locker, but that's another gripe for another day).

But to restrict deliveries to only Aus Post./Star Track (who uses that anyway?) really means you can only use it for online shopping from Aus stores (who does that?) and from shipping options from intl. stores that are passed on to Aus Post when they arrive in Aus (who can be bothered checking if this is going to happen?).

I don't know if it's because accepting deliveries from other carriers was expensive/time consuming (I doubt it) or because they just want to preserve and their monopoly (more likely IMO).

Either war, I think this will go down as a colossal misstep by Aus Post in its bid to remain relevant, and open the door for the convenience-store style pick up services Romp mentioned earlier (I happen to know that at least two big couriers in Aus are thinking of forming an alliance in part to pursue such an idea).

Whoever is responsible for this decision is an idiot.
post #22365 of 54899
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKstar View Post

For those who are available, a few of us Melbourne members have been kicking around the idea of catching up next Thursday the 29th after work for a couple of pre-Christmas drinks. So far on the confirmed list we have:
  • appolyon
  • Gerry Nelson
  • California Dreamer
  • aKula
  • myself
With FXH down as a tentative.
If your a Melbourne based member, or will be in Melbourne next Thursday night with a free slot in your calendar, you're more then welcome to join us for a night that will certainly begin with fine gentlemanly conversations on the topic menswear, and most likely end up with unnamed members unsuccessfully working the room for a pick-up (what happens at SF Melbourne meet-ups, stays on SF Melbourne meet-ups!).
A venue hasn't been decided yet, but if all else fails I'm sure that the default Melbourne SF meet-up venue, The Aylesbury, will suffice (FXH is amendment that appolyon once picked up there, hence why we keep returning!). Please shout out if you have any other venue suggestions or preferences.
Either reply to this post of PM one of us if you're keen.

With today's weather, I am looking forward to Melbourne drinks tonight. I'm aiming to be there somewhere between 5:30 and 6:00, but if anybody is planning on getting there earlier, PM me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members