Matt and Tom at P Johnson Tailors, South Melbourne swear by them and are often wearing theirs. They look good. Do not owe any personally. Am keen to try myself but they on a long wish list.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/29/15 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 1470post #22036 of 6794611/22/12 at 4:35pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #22037 of 6794611/22/12 at 4:37pmpost #22038 of 6794611/22/12 at 4:37pmpost #22039 of 6794611/22/12 at 4:38pmpost #22040 of 6794611/22/12 at 4:40pmpost #22041 of 6794611/22/12 at 4:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by lachyzee
Journeyman - I have been thinking of picking up some MJ Bale polos in that sale too since the KW sizing didn't work out for me. Have you handled any Kent Wang polos? I loved the collar on those - stands up nicely - and would hope that the MJ Bale polos do the same. I haven't handled them in person.
The placket on the MJ Bale polos is quite soft, so whilst the collar stands up when you put the shirt on in the morning, it does tend to slump a bit during the day.
This differs from my more traditional polo shirts, which have a firmer, wider placket which stands up more, thus holding up the collar.
I've also got some Uniqlo polo shirts which, interestingly, have a button-down collar which look excellent but they're a bit too slim for me at present.Quote:
The MJ Bale polo shirts are pretty slim, so if it's not too inconvenient for you, it might be worth at least wandering past a store and trying one on.post #22042 of 6794611/22/12 at 4:45pm
TBM, I don't have any long-sleeve LE polos, but I've got a few of their short-sleeve polo shirts.
I like them, but prefer my Uniqlo polo shirts as the Uniqlo collars curl less (even though the LE shirts supposedly have a "non-curl collar").
Just be careful that you're getting a tailored version as the regular LE stuff is pretty baggy.post #22043 of 6794611/22/12 at 4:49pmpost #22044 of 6794611/22/12 at 5:03pmpost #22045 of 6794611/22/12 at 5:08pmQuote:
Sorry, I should clarify - most of my Uniqlo polo shirts have a normal, ribbed collar.
However, the last time I was in Japan, I picked up a few with a button-down collar. The store had the usual polo shirt available in twenty or thirty different colours, but the one with the button-down collar appeared to be a seasonal addition to the range and was only available in about five different colours, including navy, white and pink.
I really like the regular Uniqlo polo shirts - whilst the "dry" range has a little bit of polyester in it to wick away sweat, they feel very comfortable, are slim-cut, are very colourfast, the front placket stands up nicely and the collar has a very nice shape. For about $20 each, they're great value.post #22046 of 6794611/22/12 at 5:20pm
My polos predominantly consist of Lacostes because they fit well and have all the colours I usually go after.
Have a couple from Sunspel. While I like the pocket and the fact that James Bond wears them, they feel see through and don't get much wear.
Have also bought one from Tailor Store ... and I like it but have too many to bother ordering more. They also have this thick panel on the back that I'm not too keen on but that may have changed.
Check out Tailor Store here: http://www.tailorstore.au.com/tailor-made-polo-pique-shirtspost #22047 of 6794611/22/12 at 5:23pmpost #22048 of 6794611/22/12 at 5:26pmQuote:
I haven't any Sunspel polo's, but I do have a couple of their Riviera t-shirts, and they are hands down the best t-shirts I have ever owned. Over two years old and they have kept their shape and colour like no other, and the are as soft as the day I bought them. That alone makes me comfortable ordering their polos sight unseen.post #22049 of 6794611/22/12 at 5:32pmHonestly I think that some arguments/discussions are quite healthy for this thread. As new members come on board (which has happened quite a bit recently) they will be able to make decisions on who's advice to trust.
I think recent comments surrounding polo shirts reiterates this. but, from the sounds of it there have been too many recently...
I am now tempted to try some other brands as I've typically stuck to Lacoste and Gant or RLBL for non-pique; when the collar goes floppy I buy another.post #22050 of 6794611/22/12 at 6:06pmQuote:
I have a few Skipjack polos from Southern Tide and yes after 3 years they are colour fast and collars are still standing
- Australian Members
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 47 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 53 seconds ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 2 minutes ago
- › GMTO Awesome Carmina Polo Suede Semi-Brogue, Rain Last, perfect for... 3 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 7 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 7 minutes ago
- › Ralph Lauren Marlow Tassel Loafer 9E Crockett & Jones 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...