or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1441

post #21601 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post

The majority of bad examples you see are because the idiot buying had no clue how to measure themselves.

Or the tailor used a cut that doesn't suit the wearers body.

 

The silhouette of the suit isn't derived just from point measurements. For instance, how the fabric contours between the chest and waist and waist and hip measurements is going to have a very big effect on how well the suit looks.

 

It isn't as easy as just pointing the finger at the consumer and saying "it is all your fault, you didn't use your measuring tape correctly".

post #21602 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd85 View Post

I have been getting better with buying shirts that fit properly, having measured myself for the first time a few weeks ago. I just don't really want to wear shirts that fit me moderately well if I can get them slightly altered to fit perfectly. These are all shirts I bought before I really understood what I was doing, and they're all from different brands so each one needs something different (some are baggy around the waist, some have sleeves too long, some too short, etc.). So it's not the end of the world if I can't get them fixed, I was just surprised that something as simple as bringing in a shirt around the waist caused the alteration lady to baulk.
I've never even looked into MTM shirts in the past, but if they're reasonably priced I could see myself getting a shirt as an experiment in the future. Not even sure where to begin with that though.
Also, I don't need suits - biz cas is what I wear every day, so really just trousers/chinos and dress shirts. I'm 6'3" and about 70kgs at my heaviest, with incomprehensibly skinny arms.
(in before "do you even lift?")
EDIT: And I'm located in South Melbourne.

If you re biz caz or 24/7 casual friday - in IT? then I'd say look seriously at Lands End. Go for their tailored fit. Everything else is American huge.
They do an option in Tall I think - you can get shirts and chinos in your length at no extra cost and landed here cheaper than you'll get alterations done - well not quite - but almost with their frequent 30% off everything.

In South Melb - looking for a good inexpensive suit - try Azzaro
post #21603 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Or the tailor used a cut that doesn't suit the wearers body.

The silhouette of the suit isn't derived just from point measurements. For instance, how the fabric contours between the chest and waist and waist and hip measurements is going to have a very big effect on how well the suit looks.

It isn't as easy as just pointing the finger at the consumer and saying "it is all your fault, you didn't use your measuring tape correctly".

And there lies the difficulty with getting online MTM 100% right all of the time. My opinion is that it's a combination of what Prof B. Bear has said about idiots and also what you've just added, Michael Sy.
post #21604 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

And there lies the difficulty with getting online MTM 100% right all of the time. My opinion is that it's a combination of what Prof B. Bear has said about idiots and also what you've just added, Michael Sy.

And sadly that combination increases the likelihood of absolute disasters.
post #21605 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd85 View Post


Also, I don't need suits - biz cas is what I wear every day, so really just trousers/chinos and dress shirts. I'm 6'3" and about 70kgs at my heaviest, with incomprehensibly skinny arms.

(in before "do you even lift?")

EDIT: And I'm located in South Melbourne.

Cmon dude hit the gym and start bulking up. Looking aesthetic in clothing starts with having an aesthetic frame. If you're just after shirts I suggest Cottonwork (where I get all my shirts from). Apparently Luxire is good too. Lands End is OK for chinos but they're usually pretty baggy. Their shirts are super baggy. But if you manage to cop a few on sale for $20 then spend another $20 on tailoring they'd be worth while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Or the tailor used a cut that doesn't suit the wearers body.

The silhouette of the suit isn't derived just from point measurements. For instance, how the fabric contours between the chest and waist and waist and hip measurements is going to have a very big effect on how well the suit looks.

It isn't as easy as just pointing the finger at the consumer and saying "it is all your fault, you didn't use your measuring tape correctly".

Measurements are all the MTM operators have to go off of. I'm quite certain that the actual "cut" of the suit is standardised with the only thing changing being the amount of fabric used and the measurements of each point. If you get your measurements on point, your suit will be on point.

I've yet to see otherwise. However for traditional MTM I'd agree with you.
post #21606 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


If you re biz caz or 24/7 casual friday - in IT? then I'd say look seriously at Lands End. Go for their tailored fit. Everything else is American huge.
They do an option in Tall I think - you can get shirts and chinos in your length at no extra cost and landed here cheaper than you'll get alterations done - well not quite - but almost with their frequent 30% off everything.
In South Melb - looking for a good inexpensive suit - try Azzaro


Great, thanks for the tip. Do Lands End ship internationally or will it require an intermediary?

 

Also, do you have experience with their Tall fit stuff? Does it literally just make the body longer, or is it bigger all round?

post #21607 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post


Cmon dude hit the gym and start bulking up. Looking aesthetic in clothing starts with having an aesthetic frame.

This doesn't help answer my question in the slightest.

post #21608 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd85 View Post

This doesn't help answer my question in the slightest.

 

musicboohoo[1].gif

post #21609 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd85 View Post


Great, thanks for the tip. Do Lands End ship internationally or will it require an intermediary?

Also, do you have experience with their Tall fit stuff? Does it literally just make the body longer, or is it bigger all round?

Ship direct - can return locally for any reason = $10. Their tall iirc has longer sleeves and longer body - thats all. Check out their site.
post #21610 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post

If you get your measurements on point, your suit will be on point.
 

If you provide the exact same set of measurements to two different MTM companies, I could bet my bottom dollar that you'll get two suits back that fit differently to each other.

post #21611 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


Ship direct - can return locally for any reason = $10. Their tall iirc has longer sleeves and longer body - thats all. Check out their site.


Wow, I had no idea Lands End had a local return address. In fact, I didn't even know they would ship here. Thanks!

post #21612 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd85 View Post


Wow, I had no idea Lands End had a local return address. In fact, I didn't even know they would ship here. Thanks!

Yep, they've got a return address in Sydney, if memory serves me correctly. Much cheaper to pay postage to Sydney than to the US!
post #21613 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd85 View Post

Wow, I had no idea Lands End had a local return address. In fact, I didn't even know they would ship here. Thanks!

There is always J Crew chino shorts. smile.gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

Has anyone taken the plunge and checked this new affiliate out?

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/319339/apolis-official-affiliate-thread

 

They are an American company that prides itself on giving back to the community by impeccable 'social standards'. They have a very charitable and commuity oriented outlook, which personally, I quite like in a retailer. Nourishing the less fortunate. There full story is here: http://www.apolisglobal.com/about/

 

Anyway, down to the business, their chinos look pretty good!

post #21614 of 52459
I took these for the Luxire thread, but they may as well serve as a promo for Henry Carter Neckwear + the great knot they tie (nothing to do with my own tie-tying skills)...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #21615 of 52459
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

I took these for the Luxire thread, but they may as well serve as a promo for Henry Carter Neckwear + the great knot they tie (nothing to do with my own tie-tying skills)...
 

That shirt fits your chest, shoulders and collar very nicely.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members