or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1404

post #21046 of 52412

Does anyone else seem to get hit by a 'transaction fee' when buying in a different currency overseas? For a 348.50 GBP/AU $530 transaction, I was hit with a $16.09 transaction fee on the credit card........The amount seems proportional to the purchase - the bigger the purchase the bigger the fee. Does this happen to anyone else?

 

"An international transaction fee applies to all purchases, cash advances or permitted transactions that are converted by MasterCard®, American Express® or Visa from foreign currencies to the Australian dollar equivalent, or where a transaction is made in Australian dollars but the party accepting the card is overseas.

The fee for transactions converted by MasterCard or Visa is 2.95% of the value of the transaction and the fee for transactions converted by American Express is 3.45% of the value of the transaction.
"

 

Talk about a den of fucking thieves.

post #21047 of 52412

 

 

Fantastic! I was eyeing that yesterday smile.gif I grabbed two pairs of Walts - in butterscotch and olive canvas. Let me know what you think of it once it arrives.

post #21048 of 52412
^^ Michael 3% is standard on most cards. Sometimes there is another $2 on top.

Either use PayPal or, best option, get yourself a 28 Degrees MasterCard or similar. It's also your best friend when travelling.

A quick google will reveal a wealth on information on its benefits.
post #21049 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

^^ Michael 3% is standard on most cards. Sometimes there is another $2 on top.
Either use PayPal or, best option, get yourself a 28 Degrees MasterCard or similar. It's also your best friend when travelling.
A quick google will reveal a wealth on information on its benefits.

 

Cheers Lachyzee, will look into it.

 

I thought the only people that whinged about bankers were crusty old blue collar workers. I guess FXH has to earn a crust, somehow. I now know better.


Edited by JimmyHoffa - 11/12/12 at 2:05pm
post #21050 of 52412
Quick un-professional real life pic of the new blue shirt - worn with the brown printed silk tie and herringbone suit, carmina captoes.





Only been washed once so far but I'm hoping to wash it 4-5 times this week to see softening and wearing in, of course part of that comes from actually wearnig it though.
post #21051 of 52412
^ Looks good mate. Very good (as always).
post #21052 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

 It is enlightening, isn't it? I just hope that all the experienced people can tolerate us.

Quote:
smile.gif

Sometimes, possibly many times, I wish I'd remained ignorant in this and many other areas... Ignorance may not be entirely bliss, but it's generally less expensive :-)
post #21053 of 52412
Some people don't like it, but I especially like an asymmetrical knot with a cutaway collar as worn by Jason where you see a little bit of the ends of the tie smile.gif
post #21054 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Some people don't like it, but I especially like an asymmetrical knot with a cutaway collar as worn by Jason where you see a little bit of the ends of the tie smile.gif

+1 I'm a fan, probably the single biggest contribution that Styleforum made to how I liked to dress when I discovered it. Hadn't really ever noticed cutaway collars prior to that, and I've not tied a half-windsor in a long long time.
post #21055 of 52412
Michael Sy, I wouldn't be so worried about the fact that Herringbone's suits are now all made in China. The suiting has been made in for some time now. In fact, most have been made there since around 2009. What is/would be concerning, however, is if/when Van Laack shifts the style of the suiting to be more aligned to the blocks used by Rhodes & Beckett. Again, personal preference weighs in here - I think Rhodes & Beckett's suits look genuinely shit.

Anyway, regarding country of origin - these days it's not as clear cut as it once was. Made in Italy used to be synonymous with quality items, now it could even be Ed Hardy. Your Elite suit is China-made, as is a Herringbone Osaka jacket. Go figure.
post #21056 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennier View Post

+1 I'm a fan, probably the single biggest contribution that Styleforum made to how I liked to dress when I discovered it. Hadn't really ever noticed cutaway collars prior to that, and I've not tied a half-windsor in a long long time.

On the odd occasion that I've met lennier, he's consistently well-dressed in a real life way and his tie knots are, no homo, exemplary.
post #21057 of 52412
Aussie retailers trying to create the impression that they offer some 'bargains'...

SOME of Australia's biggest retailers, including Myer, Target, Westfield and Dick Smith, have signed on for Australia's version of America's online shopping phenomenon, Cyber Monday.

The inaugural national online sales event, called Click Frenzy, will take place next Tuesday from 7pm when up to 150 retailers slash their online prices - by between 15 and 90 per cent - for 24 hours.

Participating retailers include Saba, Sportscraft, Dan Murphy's, Kogan, The Iconic, StyleTread and Booktopia.
post #21058 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Michael Sy, I wouldn't be so worried about the fact that Herringbone's suits are now all made in China. The suiting has been made in for some time now. In fact, most have been made there since around 2009. What is/would be concerning, however, is if/when Van Laack shifts the style of the suiting to be more aligned to the blocks used by Rhodes & Beckett. Again, personal preference weighs in here - I think Rhodes & Beckett's suits look genuinely shit.
Anyway, regarding country of origin - these days it's not as clear cut as it once was. Made in Italy used to be synonymous with quality items, now it could even be Ed Hardy. Your Elite suit is China-made, as is a Herringbone Osaka jacket. Go figure.

I think some people abuse the 'Made in Italy'.

 

I am trying to understand why this pair of Gucci thongs are 230 pounds.

 

http://www.profilefashion.com/gucci-black-flip-flop.html#1

 

They look pretty crap and they aren't made with anything special.

post #21059 of 52412
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

That reminds me: Unit One, and The Eagle. Can you tell I'm a sucker for Scandinavian crime?

Have you been watching The Bridge? One of best crime dramas I have seen in years.
post #21060 of 52412
They trade on the basis of name.

Manufacturers misuse Made in Italy in much the same way that consumers belittle Made in China/other Asian nation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members