or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1360

post #20386 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmills View Post

Side point - didn't you say you were studying for Contract Law? Is worrying about what to wear to Court a real issue for you?

 

Placement for PLT starts this summer. 

 

Law seems to be one of those areas that borders on the serious/conservatism of funeral services, at least in the valley. 

post #20387 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

Tobias, considering your current wardrobe and usual attire, I would say a nice pair of rosewood or mahogany brogues (wingtips or adelaides?) might be versatile enough for you. Most of the English makers have a nice range in these styles.

Brogues are defo a good idea. Care to link to one or two of your favourites?
post #20388 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post


Law seems to be one of those areas that borders on the serious/conservatism of funeral services, at least in the valley. 

Well the characters are about as lively...
post #20389 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

Brogues are defo a good idea. Care to link to one or two of your favourites?

Sure, I'll look up some links for you tomorrow, if Gerry doesn't beat me to it ;-)
post #20390 of 54935
Guys my Mrs wants to buy a garment steamer - I'm happy with the iron/dry cleaner.

Looked at a few in the shops but have no idea what's worth buying etc. any suggestions?
post #20391 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Do you guys ever worry that some of the suits you wear aren't CBD enough? 

From what I can see of the courts most wear charcoal and black. Ties are almost strictly flat or some kind of non offensive print. 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/33066/conservative-business-dress - manton makes a good argument. 

Like with the discussion a while back on dub monks, I think this is something only the sartorially knowledgeable really worry about. I heartily advocate different (even subtly different) outfits for different occasions, but much more for fun and personal satisfaction than for anything else.

As Phat Guido recently posted, "dress to the context or event"...but don't expect anyone to notice or care :/
post #20392 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post

Guys my Mrs wants to buy a garment steamer - I'm happy with the iron/dry cleaner.
Looked at a few in the shops but have no idea what's worth buying etc. any suggestions?

Funnily enough, I just bought one myself.

The classic is the Jiffy steamer, and you can get hand-held and upright versions. I like the upright myself as I find iit easier to use. The downside is it does take up a fair bit of room.

My main use of them is to steam suits to get the wrinkles out - especially the unsightly wrinkles in the pants. Works brilliantly. Also good to get wrinkles out of ties, linen shirts etc.

I replaced my Jiffy because the water valve got lost, rendering it inoperable. I found a pretty good Tefal upright in Good Guys for $170, whiich will hopefully do the job.
post #20393 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


Sure, I'll look up some links for you tomorrow, if Gerry doesn't beat me to it ;-)

 

I'm waiting for you, PoP smile.gif

 

Rosewood and mahogany just make me think of acoustic guitars!

post #20394 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post


This always blows my mind. People say the cure for sweating is an undershirt and the sweat wont penetrate the shirt you actually care about. But isn't it completely illogical to wear MORE layers when it's hot? I tried to wear an undershirt last spring while I was walking to work and it was the most uncomfortable, heat-stricken walk I've ever done. Felt like I was going to faint.

 

It's not completely illogical at all, people assume that layers = more heat, but ignore all other factors. It's about creating airflow, and so on and so forth. Ideally the undershirt is breathable and allows the space between your undershirt and your normal shirt to cool without affecting your perception of heat. Does it work that way? Someone more knowledgeable might be clearer.

 

One of the reasons that in most hotter areas of the Earth people tend to wear loose flowing garments is because they are cooler, not because they're warmer, the reason I've been told that those clothes are cooler is because there's more space between the skin and the clothing.

 

For me, if it's a 35+ day I will sweat, at least the undershirt stops me looking like a clown and my shirts from getting ruined by my sweating. That's the bottom line, the rest is just fun to discuss, if it doesn't work, oh well. I don't feel warm enough in winter with the undershirt on either.

post #20395 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

700

 

Mate, time is of the essence.... Burn those Pants!!!

but.. what will he wear if he goes clubbing?

post #20396 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

but.. what will he wear if he goes clubbing?

 

My Borat Mankini.

post #20397 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

Law seems to be one of those areas that borders on the serious/conservatism of funeral services, at least in the valley. 

I was at a lunch the other day with a room full of barristers and judges and there were certainly a lot of flamboyant dressers - lots of braces and bow ties and well manicured moustaches.

In court, barristers and instructors do dress fairly conservatively, though (when not robed up obviously). On the bench, on the other hand, judges pretty much wear whatever the hell they want. Bow ties are particularly popular. Female judges are also often quite snappy dressers.

In terms of commercial firms, I don't think lawyers dress as extravagantly as the wannabe bankers. Way less contrast collars etc.
post #20398 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

 

My Borat Mankini.

 

With the silkiest arm pits this side of the hemisphere stirpot.gif

700

post #20399 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Thats not funny - if I kept a spreadsheet - I probably only wear 12 of them much at all.
But it kinda feels good to have them to look at.
Sometimes I wear something I don't like just to see what happens - mostly its not as bad as I think
My mate who has a bigger opshop collection had a bet with his work mates /PA that he would not be caught in the same tie more than once in an whole year.

I would have about the same number and I work on the same principle. I stopped buying but then I started again though the $2 is now often $5
post #20400 of 54935
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

I don't think lawyers dress as extravagantly as the wannabe bankers. Way less contrast collars etc.

Funny enough being a (wannabe?) banker I'd have to say in general my collegues dress, on the whole, pretty piss poor. Lots of really bad fitting suits (jackets two sizes too big, pants about a foot too long) and the shoes - don't get me started on the shoes. There is the odd contrast collar wanker but they haven't yet realised that money doesn't equal style. Big thumbs up to some of the ladies though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members