or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1357

post #20341 of 54937

What is everyone's views on the whole 'second trousers with every suit' philosophy?

 

Is it really necessary to source out a second pair of trousers with every suit? Some people say that you should always get a second pair of trousers with every suit bought, on the principle that the pants get destroyed before the jacket. Others say that one is enough. I guess it would make a difference if you have 3 suits compared to 5-10 suits, where the same suit isn't used as frequently in rotation. I read somewhere from Matt Jensen that the average man in this day and age buys a new suit quite frequently, as a result suits are only really lasting a few years, as opposed to 15 years. Perhaps 2 trousers is overkill?

 

Dartagnan Red was telling that he had to take his trousers to the tailor to get some extra life out of them. I know it probably isn't going to go down well with you guys, but I have had 2 pairs of Tarocash trousers (I was still in school and far from eclectic) that I have worn over several years, and they haven't faded or torn in any shape or form. However, it would be annoying having trousers fall apart on you, when you still love your jacket.

 

EDIT: http://www.styleforum.net/t/64042/do-you-order-extra-trousers - a little bit of searching never goes astray! Sorry fellas, jumped the gun again.

post #20342 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

 I know it probably isn't going to go down well with you guys, but I have had 2 pairs of Tarocash trousers (I was still in school and far from eclectic) that I have worn over several years, and they haven't faded or torn in any shape or form.

700

 

Mate, time is of the essence.... Burn those Pants!!!

post #20343 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

Thanks for the research JM, you even got my right size!

You are quite correct, the Sutor Mantellassi's represent great value. Have you had much experience with them? I've eyed off a few pairs online, but l have not heard much feed back off this forum.

I love these from The Armoury http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/gaziano-girling-kn14-antibes-oak but they are well and truly over my budget! However l can get something similar with a tassel and half the price l will be clicking heels

 

 

What do you think of these?

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640203

post #20344 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

700

 

Mate, time is of the essence.... Burn those Pants!!!

Can I drop them in a clothing bin and call it my donation to charity for the year?

 

Actually, it is a funny story about those Tarocash pants. I remember I lost a pair - I couldn't find them anywhere around the house. I was 100% certain that the dry cleaner had not given them back to me (strange logic, I know). So, one morning I had a big whinge at the dry cleaner. That afternoon he produced a pair of Tarocash trousers that looked exactly like mine, and told me to take them. I thought he had found my trousers, until they showed up several weeks later. I thought I was so lucky - a 3rd pair of TAROCASH pants, Christmas has come early (I did ring him back and he was adamant that they were mine, and no one has come in to collect Tarocash pants). Little did I know that I had releaved someone of their luxury 80% polyester, 20% viscose tarocash pants.

 

Anyway, onto greener pastures, when I hold my suit from Elite that was made from Chinese wool milled in China, against the MJ Bale suit I bought which is made from Australian Merino milled in Italy, there is a noticeable difference. A noticeable difference. There is a $200 price differential, however.

 

Aussie SF takes the cake. So all the information you guys pass on, does make a difference :).


Edited by JimmyHoffa - 11/3/12 at 5:46am
post #20345 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

 

 

What do you think of these?

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640203

 

Very nice, thanks Gerry. Love the split toe detail as well. Be interested to see if that make that very loafer on the Simpson last, it doesnt look like they do. So far l will be putting these on top of the list.

post #20346 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

Can I drop them in a clothing bin and call it my donation to charity for the year?

 

Actually, it is a funny story about those Tarocash pants. I remember I lost a pair - I couldn't find them anywhere around the house. I was 100% certain that the dry cleaner had not given them back to me (strange logic, I know). So, one morning I had a big whinge at the dry cleaner. That afternoon he produced a pair of Tarocash trousers that looked exactly like mine, and told me to take them. I thought he had found my trousers, until they showed up several weeks later. I thought I was so lucky - a 3rd pair of TAROCASH pants, Christmas has come early (I did ring him back and he was adamant that they were mine, and no one has come in to collect Tarocash pants). Little did I know that I had releaved someone of their luxury 80% polyester, 20% viscose tarocash pants.

 

Anyway, onto greener pastures, when I hold my suit from Elite that was made from Chinese wool milled in China, against the MJ Bale suit I bought which is made from Australian Merino milled in Italy, there is a noticeable difference. A noticeable difference. There is a $200 price differential, however.

 

Aussie SF takes the cake. So all the information you guys pass on, does make a difference :).

They were probably sitting there for years happy.gif

post #20347 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

Gentlemen,

I'm looking to pick a loafer with the following specifications:

1. Penny/Loafer w/ Tassles

2. Dark brown leather

3. Sleek, elongated last with chisled toe.

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Can I suggest looking in the buying and selling section or are you looking for new shoes ??

 

I recently bought a pair C&J Harvard Shell Loafers ( no tassels though ) for just under your budget and had been worn ounce.

post #20348 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

What is everyone's views on the whole 'second trousers with every suit' philosophy?

Is it really necessary to source out a second pair of trousers with every suit? Some people say that you should always get a second pair of trousers with every suit bought, on the principle that the pants get destroyed before the jacket. Others say that one is enough. I guess it would make a difference if you have 3 suits compared to 5-10 suits, where the same suit isn't used as frequently in rotation. I read somewhere from Matt Jensen that the average man in this day and age buys a new suit quite frequently, as a result suits are only really lasting a few years, as opposed to 15 years. Perhaps 2 trousers is overkill?

Dartagnan Red was telling that he had to take his trousers to the tailor to get some extra life out of them. I know it probably isn't going to go down well with you guys, but I have had 2 pairs of Tarocash trousers (I was still in school and far from eclectic) that I have worn over several years, and they haven't faded or torn in any shape or form. However, it would be annoying having trousers fall apart on you, when you still love your jacket.

EDIT: http://www.styleforum.net/t/64042/do-you-order-extra-trousers - a little bit of searching never goes astray! Sorry fellas, jumped the gun again.

I have 4 good suits and am planning to commission more next year: I have spare trousers for 3 of them and they have served me well.

Cheers
post #20349 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

 

Welcome! My view is that it's all in context for the occasion anyway.

 

For linen trousers, I've heard very good things about Howard Yount: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/linen-pants

 

Out of interest, what is your budget - that would help people who are offering you suggestions.

 

Thanks Gerry, that's actually right in my price range anyway. Colours are a bit bland, but I can explore a little more from here.

 

:)

post #20350 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

Hey guys,

 

I'd really like some advice on these 3 Barbour's which are in my size (tried on at Dj's) they are all bedale's and I am happy to wear navy or olive, I am just wondering which you would buy and why? The main question stopping me from buying one is the 'patina' on them...is it too much or is it just fine:

 

Auction (will probably put a bid down regardless, also say's navy and half the pictures are different):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BARBOUR-A101-THE-BEDALE-WAX-JACKET-38-97CM-NAVY-/271088039403?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item3f1e1b35eb&_uhb=1#ht_621wt_1397

 

BuyNow:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-2-ROYAL-CREST-BARBOUR-BEDALE-A100-WAX-COTTON-JACKET-GREEN-38-97CM-/150931304978?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item232434f212&_uhb=1#ht_5467wt_1397

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STUNNING-BARBOUR-OF-SOUTH-SHIELDS-A100-BEDALE-WAX-COTTON-JACKET-GREEN-38-97CM-/160911840003?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item257717d303&_uhb=1#ht_4243wt_1397

 

Thanks

P.S.

Whoever owns the Barbour here was your's just as patinated?

Sorry to repost this but I'd really like some replies to this.

Thanks

post #20351 of 54937

A bargain for the larger-footed gent - shell wingtips for $150 + postage:

 

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221147752414&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

post #20352 of 54937
Thinking of a pair of either the Herrings or the Church http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/search-results.php?sizeid=11&fitid=3&styleid=3&colourid=5 from what I have been informed the Herrings are made by Church and are on the same 73 last.

So is this correct?
post #20353 of 54937
I think spare pants is worth it

The pants on my very first pjohnson kit are starting to show wear so i should have done two pants.

Ive got 6 suits in rotation but some get worn more than others
post #20354 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post

Can I suggest looking in the buying and selling section or are you looking for new shoes ??

 

I recently bought a pair C&J Harvard Shell Loafers ( no tassels though ) for just under your budget and had been worn ounce.

 

I'm not partial, happy with either new or near new, as long as they have certain spec's: Loafer w/ Tassels, Dark brown leather, Sleek, elongated last with chisled toe, around $400. Cheaper would be nice.

 

Gerry recommended these http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3640203 which l'm very interested in.

post #20355 of 54937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

From memory, most of English-made tassell loafers have a more rounded toe, rather than a chiselled toe, so a European maker might be a better bet.

I don't know if they will be to your taste, but these Sutor Mantellassi loafers from Ian Daniels at Shop the Finest are an excellent deal:
http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-49154-sutor-mantellassi-brown-shoes-size-10-us-9-uk.aspx
http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-42797-sutor-mantellassi-brown-shoes-size-10-us-9-uk.aspx
http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-42806-sutor-mantellassi-brown-shoes-size-10-us-9-uk.aspx
Thanks for the research JM, you even got my right size!
You are quite correct, the Sutor Mantellassi's represent great value. Have you had much experience with them? I've eyed off a few pairs online, but l have not heard much feed back off this forum.
I love these from The Armoury http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/gaziano-girling-kn14-antibes-oak but they are well and truly over my budget! However l can get something similar with a tassel and half the price l will be clicking heels

Sutor's are fantastic quality for the price. All of the pairs I have handled have been finished well with decent leather. Some do tend to be on the narrower side due to the aggressive styling, so be careful with sizing, especially since your size in loafers and oxfords tends to differ anyway.

Another alternative is the C&J Sydney, nice elongated shape.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members