or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1332

post #19966 of 55930
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Store is not yet finished, but it'll be nice once complete. They were still unpacking, merchandising, etc.
FWIW, I think their stuff is really, really good. I worked at Herringbone for over four years, and MJ Bale's stuff reminds me of the stuff I owned and sold when I first started at Herringbone. There's a softness to the construction that makes it a pleasure to wear. Also, 40R off the rack requires zero alterations for me. Not a hint of collar gap, no need for collar to be lowered, nothing. I'm sure if I spent time nitpicking, I'd find fault, but for the price, I'm planning on getting a few things. Shame I already own many suits and have occasion to wear none. Many of mine are also BNWT - anyone interested in size 42R Herringbone Navy suiting?

Awesome to hear. I just got an MJ Bale suit myself. My tailor said it is a much better suit than one he has been working on from Zara, which is owned by another student.

 

You are so lucky about 40R being a perfect fit.

 

A 36R fits me pretty well. The sleeves were 1.5cm too long - I like to see shirt cuff ($40). The pants have to be taken up ($15). An optional one which I have opted for is to get some of the fabric taken out of the back of the suit ($40). Does anyone know what I am talking about? I am probably being picky regarding the back - the adjustments have zero effect on the front of the suit. So all up it is $100 of alterations, not ideal, but when the waist, hips, length, chest and shoulders are smack on, it is quite good.

 

How do you think the current MJ Bale suits compare to the current Herringbone suits (with price in consideration)? Also, are you buying sports jackets or suit jackets?

post #19967 of 55930

I just bought 3 Henry Carter ties:

 

http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/ties/purple-w-white-fleck/

http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/ties/green-white-dots/

http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/ties/burgundy-w-gold-circles/

 

$60 each (on special). Pretty excited - they look like good quality ties. Purple, red and green ties. Hopefully they are a good start.

post #19968 of 55930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Meredith View Post

I have looked longingly at your shirts, but they're a little out of my price range at the moment.  If I have to flog/return all of these LE Hyde Park OCBD's, and if the BB extra-slim are no good, I'll probably fork out for one.

My chest is around 44", and my waist is around 34-35", so there's a pretty big drop, which is why even a lot of 'tailored' fits are either way too tight in the collar/chest, or way too big in the waist (or often both!).  I also have quite long arms, which can often be a problem in a lot of OTR shirts.  Ah, first world problems eh?

This is not any kind of problem: just get your shirts made to measure online (try luxire.com).
post #19969 of 55930

TBM,

If your moonlighting in Surry Hills, Bourke St Bakery has awesome pastry and coffee to boot! If your in Woollahra, there's a great little pizza stop in the village, called Pizza Moncur + MJ Bale is up the road, might have additional stock from the Lane Way Sale. Skylarking in Darlinghurst, drop into Coluzzi, coffee is solid. I'm in no capacity endorsed or affiliated with these establishments apart from loyalty cards and network marketing recommendation coin! mwink[1].gif

 

BTW are you purchasing sport coats or suits from MJ ?

post #19970 of 55930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Meredith View Post

I have looked longingly at your shirts, but they're a little out of my price range at the moment.  If I have to flog/return all of these LE Hyde Park OCBD's, and if the BB extra-slim are no good, I'll probably fork out for one.

 

My chest is around 44", and my waist is around 34-35", so there's a pretty big drop, which is why even a lot of 'tailored' fits are either way too tight in the collar/chest, or way too big in the waist (or often both!).  I also have quite long arms, which can often be a problem in a lot of OTR shirts.  Ah, first world problems eh?

What!? OTR shirt sleeves are always too long for me!

 

Being a starter it is quite hard to do $140 for one shirt - especially as you bought 2 shirts for $130.

post #19971 of 55930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Brogues View Post

TBM,
If your moonlighting in Surry Hills, Bourke St Bakery has awesome pastry and coffee to boot! If your in Woollahra, there's a great little pizza stop in the village, called Pizza Moncur + MJ Bale is up the road, might have additional stock from the Lane Way Sale. Skylarking in Darlinghurst, drop into Coluzzi, coffee is solid. I'm in no capacity endorsed or affiliated with these establishments apart from loyalty cards and network marketing recommendation coin! mwink%5B1%5D.gif

BTW are you purchasing sport coats or suits from MJ ?
I'm actually a big fan of regular Phat Guido haunt The Bunker around there. Had a few awesome brekkies there over the years. I'm fairly easily pleased mind you, sourdough and vegemite or a good bircher muesli does me fine but I am a sucker for Campos coffee and they make a good one.
post #19972 of 55930
Here are a few of my picks, let me know if you want any other suggestions or details of anywhere listed. If you have any specific tastes or interest in mind (Japanese, meat, cocktails, scotch etc) let me know.

All subjective, so please no one pipe up saying ‘Ow why would you select that’ etc

Breaky
Lizzy Bay Cafe
Bourke St Bakery

Entry level eats
Phamish
Miss Chu
Brownrice sushi
El Loco

Medium range eats
Chop House
Porento
Miss Gs
Mr Wongs
Din Tai Fung
Sky Phoenix
Toko
Jamies Italian
Black by Ezard
Marque
Flying Fish
Momofuko
Four in Hand

Upper end
Pony
Sepia
Glass
Chiswick
Sake
Icebergs (good for out of towners)
Longrain
Aria (Would pick it over Quay every day of the year)

Drinks
The Hazy rose
Shady Pines
Palmers & Co
Eau De Vie
The Bar at the End of the wharf
The Australian is nice on a lazy Sunday arvo
post #19973 of 55930

For coffee in the city, there's Klink on Clarence St and Mecca which was already mentioned.

 

Cut above the rest IMO.

post #19974 of 55930
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys smile.gif
post #19975 of 55930

i'd throw in Rockpool bar and grill for some nice steaks. can also vouch for the above: el loco, chop house, Ms G's, din tai fung, toko. Mr. Wong's is simply a glorified yum cha - why not get some proper yum cha down at cabramatta. it's half the price but double the authenticity  :D   double roasters / the grounds for coffee or brunch. pasticerria papa's ricotta cheesecake at haberfield is amazing. a must try.

post #19976 of 55930
May have to wear elasticated waistbands with all these food recommendations LOL
post #19977 of 55930
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

May have to wear elasticated waistbands with all these food recommendations LOL

 

life is uncertain. eat dessert first.

post #19978 of 55930
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

May have to wear elasticated waistbands with all these food recommendations LOL

Don't alter those jeans just yet...

post #19979 of 55930
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

i'd throw in Rockpool bar and grill for some nice steaks. can also vouch for the above: el loco, chop house, Ms G's, din tai fung, toko. Mr. Wong's is simply a glorified yum cha - why not get some proper yum cha down at cabramatta. it's half the price but double the authenticity  biggrin.gif   double roasters / the grounds for coffee or brunch. pasticerria papa's ricotta cheesecake at haberfield is amazing. a must try.

He might want to polish off Mr Wongs with a 90' Hill of Grace... Either way, the decor and fit-out of Mr Wongs is nicely done and adjoins Plamer and Co for a nice Laphroig quarter cask to cap the night off.

I know I would rather that end to the night than trying to flag a $120 cab in Cabra while dancing around syringes
post #19980 of 55930
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post

For coffee in the city, there's Klink on Clarence St and Mecca which was already mentioned.

 

Cut above the rest IMO.

dont do takeaway at mecca - its subpar vs the eat in

 

otherwise TBM welcome to pop over to my place - ive got my ECM dialled in now and only use Double Roaster beans. *sense a live latte art challenge* icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members