Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/29/15 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 1318
Styleforum Top Pickspost #19757 of 6789210/25/12 at 4:40amQuote:
My Eyes! My Eyes!
Since when did wearing sneakers to the races become acceptable?
JM once again, killer suit, shirt, tie and square combination!post #19758 of 6789210/25/12 at 5:09ampost #19759 of 6789210/25/12 at 5:24ampost #19760 of 6789210/25/12 at 5:27amQuote:
The red tie and navy suit is just so classical - in my opinion anyway. It looks so good.
However, every Tom, Dick and Harry is wearing it. So maybe the Silver is the winner?post #19761 of 6789210/25/12 at 2:42pmFunny you should post this as I actually had the maroon grenadine on yesterday with a white shirt (charcoal suit though). With a navy suit and white shirt it's a bit "politician" for me, but that could just be because I live in Canberra.... Anyway I think the silver works best with a white shirt out of the too, and the maroon is better matched with a blue shirt. There is an image of me somewhere wearing the silver with white shirt navy suit, i'll see if I can dig it up.post #19762 of 6789210/25/12 at 2:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious - and bolstered by the fact that we are discussing this on a fashion forum - sadly eyeglasses have been transformed by marketing (and primarily Luxottica) into a retail fashion item rather than a health care item. This is what has supported the crazy prices and the crowding out of health care issues. Thankfully there is a small but growing movement amongst optometrists to revert to a health care orientation.
Just to point out Face Furniture underwent a major change in the early 1980 when the better living by design crowd moved into the spectacle market. It suddenly became 'Very Cool' to make a spectacle of yourself in designer eyewear. Quote 'For most of their history, eyeglasses were seen as unfashionable, and carried several potentially negative connotations.' All of a sudden spectacles were uber cool the more obscure the designer the more cultural capital (see Bourdieu) you had. I used to wear the same style of frames for over ten years in my case they were ENHS or as I knew them as 'Ripleys' then Thomas Dobly popularised them with the urbane inner city Face set them and and that was the end of that.
Like most things in life spectacles are a fashion accessory or for some of us a sartorial staple they are apart and parcel of defining who and what you are, they state your style as your frames are loaded with social signifiers of class and cultural capital.
The worst thing about this shift is the fact that companies now change their designs as quickly as they change their underwear and if you happen to damage a pair your fucked. I used to wear Anglo American frames from the early 90 to about 94 but my son as a baby had a predilection for head butting me right on the temple arm resulting in an order to the UK to get a replacement and it took at least six weeks in those days.
I have had the same problem with a pair of Emanuel Ungaro frames the temple arm broke and I could not get it replaced. Why because they only produce a limited number of frames of each model and for the most part don't have replacement stock. In todays ever disposable market spectacles are just another item in a catalogue which has a limited market lifespan. As far as the designer brands are concerned.
Wearing spectacles is all about personal style 'damn those hipsters' hence those wankers who wear large black frames without lenses. The first time i saw this I burst out laughing and had to leave the shop I was in.
And on other sartorial matters I have been informed that my W H Taylor shirt is on its way I ordered a slim fit as opposed to a regular, as I have been informed that the regular was more akin to the tent like proportions of BB Traditional it was part of their shirt of the month deal, just a plain white poplin for work. Well post an appraisal when it arrives.post #19763 of 6789210/25/12 at 3:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by lachyzee
Reckon we can bring these back?
The horror, the horror!
And if its going to come back get serious the look was a short sleeved jacket with shorts and pale blue socks with brown shoes. A very popular suburban look back in the 70's at the local RSL.post #19764 of 6789210/25/12 at 3:25pmpost #19765 of 6789210/25/12 at 3:30pmpost #19766 of 6789210/25/12 at 3:33pmpost #19767 of 6789210/25/12 at 3:35pmQuote:
Thankfully, I've never noticed this before, hence my surprise when it was mentioned in this thread.
Here is a timely article from the Fairfax website - "Offending the hipster male".
Amusingly, one of the first comments on the article is rather on-topic: "I wish I could read this article...but alas my glasses have no lenses."post #19768 of 6789210/25/12 at 3:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by JRolley
Which of these would you gentlemen prefer with a navy suit, white shirtWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
not a fan of the maroon, glencheck infinitely better.
EDIT: The Drake's one here is nice - tad more definition
Otherwise vanda has some great options toopost #19769 of 6789210/25/12 at 3:51pmDoes anyone wish to buy this off me - http://shop.herringbone.com/ProductDetail/mens/jacket/jacket_metro_cotton/4646
Size 42, worn once on September 4 (the day after I bought it), make me an offer.
I've lost 8kgs. I bought it in preparation for summer and it doesn't fit right anymore so it's best off going to someone else.post #19770 of 6789210/25/12 at 4:04pm
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?
- › LEMAIRE 41 seconds ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 3 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 4 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 8 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 8 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...