Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 4/17/16 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 1318post #19756 of 6794610/25/12 at 3:50ampost #19757 of 6794610/25/12 at 4:40amQuote:
My Eyes! My Eyes!
Since when did wearing sneakers to the races become acceptable?
JM once again, killer suit, shirt, tie and square combination!post #19758 of 6794610/25/12 at 5:09ampost #19759 of 6794610/25/12 at 5:24ampost #19760 of 6794610/25/12 at 5:27ampost #19761 of 6794610/25/12 at 2:42pmFunny you should post this as I actually had the maroon grenadine on yesterday with a white shirt (charcoal suit though). With a navy suit and white shirt it's a bit "politician" for me, but that could just be because I live in Canberra.... Anyway I think the silver works best with a white shirt out of the too, and the maroon is better matched with a blue shirt. There is an image of me somewhere wearing the silver with white shirt navy suit, i'll see if I can dig it up.post #19762 of 6794610/25/12 at 2:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by fxh
At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious - and bolstered by the fact that we are discussing this on a fashion forum - sadly eyeglasses have been transformed by marketing (and primarily Luxottica) into a retail fashion item rather than a health care item. This is what has supported the crazy prices and the crowding out of health care issues. Thankfully there is a small but growing movement amongst optometrists to revert to a health care orientation.
Just to point out Face Furniture underwent a major change in the early 1980 when the better living by design crowd moved into the spectacle market. It suddenly became 'Very Cool' to make a spectacle of yourself in designer eyewear. Quote 'For most of their history, eyeglasses were seen as unfashionable, and carried several potentially negative connotations.' All of a sudden spectacles were uber cool the more obscure the designer the more cultural capital (see Bourdieu) you had. I used to wear the same style of frames for over ten years in my case they were ENHS or as I knew them as 'Ripleys' then Thomas Dobly popularised them with the urbane inner city Face set them and and that was the end of that.
Like most things in life spectacles are a fashion accessory or for some of us a sartorial staple they are apart and parcel of defining who and what you are, they state your style as your frames are loaded with social signifiers of class and cultural capital.
The worst thing about this shift is the fact that companies now change their designs as quickly as they change their underwear and if you happen to damage a pair your fucked. I used to wear Anglo American frames from the early 90 to about 94 but my son as a baby had a predilection for head butting me right on the temple arm resulting in an order to the UK to get a replacement and it took at least six weeks in those days.
I have had the same problem with a pair of Emanuel Ungaro frames the temple arm broke and I could not get it replaced. Why because they only produce a limited number of frames of each model and for the most part don't have replacement stock. In todays ever disposable market spectacles are just another item in a catalogue which has a limited market lifespan. As far as the designer brands are concerned.
Wearing spectacles is all about personal style 'damn those hipsters' hence those wankers who wear large black frames without lenses. The first time i saw this I burst out laughing and had to leave the shop I was in.
And on other sartorial matters I have been informed that my W H Taylor shirt is on its way I ordered a slim fit as opposed to a regular, as I have been informed that the regular was more akin to the tent like proportions of BB Traditional it was part of their shirt of the month deal, just a plain white poplin for work. Well post an appraisal when it arrives.post #19763 of 6794610/25/12 at 3:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by lachyzee
Reckon we can bring these back?
The horror, the horror!
And if its going to come back get serious the look was a short sleeved jacket with shorts and pale blue socks with brown shoes. A very popular suburban look back in the 70's at the local RSL.post #19764 of 6794610/25/12 at 3:25pmpost #19765 of 6794610/25/12 at 3:30pmpost #19766 of 6794610/25/12 at 3:33pmpost #19767 of 6794610/25/12 at 3:35pmQuote:
Thankfully, I've never noticed this before, hence my surprise when it was mentioned in this thread.
Here is a timely article from the Fairfax website - "Offending the hipster male".
Amusingly, one of the first comments on the article is rather on-topic: "I wish I could read this article...but alas my glasses have no lenses."post #19768 of 6794610/25/12 at 3:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by JRolley
Which of these would you gentlemen prefer with a navy suit, white shirtWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
not a fan of the maroon, glencheck infinitely better.
EDIT: The Drake's one here is nice - tad more definition
Otherwise vanda has some great options toopost #19769 of 6794610/25/12 at 3:51pmDoes anyone wish to buy this off me - http://shop.herringbone.com/ProductDetail/mens/jacket/jacket_metro_cotton/4646
Size 42, worn once on September 4 (the day after I bought it), make me an offer.
I've lost 8kgs. I bought it in preparation for summer and it doesn't fit right anymore so it's best off going to someone else.post #19770 of 6794610/25/12 at 4:04pm
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › What are you reading? 52 seconds ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 8 minutes ago
- › Take all of the guns. All of them. 9 minutes ago
- › MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 13 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 14 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding