or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1219

post #18271 of 53399

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. It's great to see such a strong Aussie contingent here!

 

What are your best tips (stores, websites or brands) for finding some slim fitting work trousers? I'm not fussed about big name brands but a good fit (slim, minimal break etc) is important. I have fairly skinny legs and the usual suspects - DJs, Myer and Country Road - never quite cut it. 

 

Ta!

post #18272 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post

Do any of you gents have the same immensely strong feelings about women's clothes that I do? I try not to talk about them too much because I get into fights with my girlfriend. Going shopping with her actually makes me angry because I see the stuff that a lot of women are buying. Women who are into "style" or "fashion" or whatever it's called seem to shop incredibly differently to men. I point out to my girlfriend who's eyeing some $700 Carla Zampatti dress that it's made of polyester and she doesn't speak to me for 4 hours. There just isn't the same respect for fabric or construction, I can't work out why.

Women's clothing has much more emphasis on fashion and design as they aren't constrained to a certain uniform so to speak. Women can wear dresses of all shapes and sizes in all the colours of the rainbow and look fantastic, whereas a man wearing a funky coloured suit generally draws a lot of negative attention.

Also, the really high end couture clothing is often made with the finest workmanship and materials, but that kind of stuff is never scene in public, at least in Australia.
post #18273 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post
Oh, and a Brioni suit. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

sweet! got any pics?

post #18274 of 53399
Women just tend to settle on the look of the garment rather than take into consideration its construction (speaking from personal experience ONLY). I see a lot of nice blazers around the place but never pull the trigger because they'll either be fused, made from wool/poly blends etc.

My GF buy a lot of stuff from ASOS which is mainly poly. My favourite is when she buys summer dresses and tops because they'll be "cool and breezy." Never minding the fact they are 100% poly and do not breathe.
post #18275 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

lachy - re the gloves
I think here as opposed to say snow country UK or USA that gloves are really only worn outside - not even on trams or trains - therefore the chunkier look works ok.
Although I do understand how the smoother look is very seductive.

I've worn mine on trains from time to time on a really cold day.
post #18276 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by catpower View Post

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. It's great to see such a strong Aussie contingent here!

 

What are your best tips (stores, websites or brands) for finding some slim fitting work trousers? I'm not fussed about big name brands but a good fit (slim, minimal break etc) is important. I have fairly skinny legs and the usual suspects - DJs, Myer and Country Road - never quite cut it. 

 

Ta!


I'll recommend Howard Yount to anyone, anytime. Not the cheapest; totally worth it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
post #18277 of 53399

I'll stab ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post


post #18278 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naka View Post


Women's clothing has much more emphasis on fashion and design as they aren't constrained to a certain uniform so to speak. Women can wear dresses of all shapes and sizes in all the colours of the rainbow and look fantastic, whereas a man wearing a funky coloured suit generally draws a lot of negative attention.
Also, the really high end couture clothing is often made with the finest workmanship and materials, but that kind of stuff is never scene in public, at least in Australia.

I do understand all of this, but I don't think people here really dress the way they do to conform to some standard men's uniform. Women can look great in almost anything, but I still instantly pick out a quality piece of clothing on them. I truly cannot stand fast fashion, to me it is a vain, environmentally unfriendly way of dressing that shows no self respect.

 

It's a shame as you say that there are very few quality women's clothing outlets in Australia. Brands that actually make decent women's stuff generally sell only accessories and shoes in Australia. One of the worst perpetrators IMO is Ralph Lauren; they offer some brilliant guy's stuff (albeit in addition to giant pony brand trash), but the women's clothing is awful. I hope that now Oroton has lost the licence, PRL Corp will lift their game in terms of stock.

post #18279 of 53399
I would just like to say if anyone wants to repair their denim send it to Mikhail Zenon. He does an absolutely great job!
post #18280 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear View Post

Apple cider gets you pretty damn tanked very quickly. Feel like absolute CRAP today. Taking all my energy to barely sit down and look at my laptop.

I feel your pain. 8% ciders certainly don't taste that strong at the time. confused.gif

 

My better half is currently in NYC and I'm hoping you may have some pointers on where she should look for male clothing and more specifically accessories. I'm in need of a leather overnight bag amongst the usual ties, PS, shoe trees etc. The poor girl will be using every bit of her 40kg baggage allowance. I know there's a multitude of threads on the main forum but I trust your opinions more! :) Thanks.

post #18281 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post

Do any of you gents have the same immensely strong feelings about women's clothes that I do? I try not to talk about them too much because I get into fights with my girlfriend. Going shopping with her actually makes me angry because I see the stuff that a lot of women are buying. Women who are into "style" or "fashion" or whatever it's called seem to shop incredibly differently to men. I point out to my girlfriend who's eyeing some $700 Carla Zampatti dress that it's made of polyester and she doesn't speak to me for 4 hours. There just isn't the same respect for fabric or construction, I can't work out why.


Totally agree, case in point is some $300 boots my gf bought. They're PLEATHER ffs.
post #18282 of 53399
Well I survived my bucks weekend, just. I've not been so crook for a fair while and had to get one of my mates to drive my car home but it was a great weekend all the same. No grog for a few days now.

I am on holidays now though so that's a bonus.
post #18283 of 53399

maybe better suited for the other forum but does anyone know how the various 3sixteen jeans fit and if anywhere in sydney stocks them?

 

Cheers

Rob

post #18284 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarb jam View Post

I feel your pain. 8% ciders certainly don't taste that strong at the time. confused.gif

 

My better half is currently in NYC and I'm hoping you may have some pointers on where she should look for male clothing and more specifically accessories. I'm in need of a leather overnight bag amongst the usual ties, PS, shoe trees etc. The poor girl will be using every bit of her 40kg baggage allowance. I know there's a multitude of threads on the main forum but I trust your opinions more! :) Thanks.

 

 

Clothing-wise, what about Epaulet?

post #18285 of 53399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarb jam View Post

I feel your pain. 8% ciders certainly don't taste that strong at the time. confused.gif

 

My better half is currently in NYC and I'm hoping you may have some pointers on where she should look for male clothing and more specifically accessories. I'm in need of a leather overnight bag amongst the usual ties, PS, shoe trees etc. The poor girl will be using every bit of her 40kg baggage allowance. I know there's a multitude of threads on the main forum but I trust your opinions more! :) Thanks.

Epaulet already pointed out by Gerry.

 

Chipp2 for ties - I've red they sell quality grenadine for $47.50

 

Blue in Green Soho for Denim

 

Nordstrom and search Google for "mens department stores new york" you will get a few there

 

Will be in NY next February and am planning to go to those places for sure!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members