or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1198

post #17956 of 48550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

You could do, though having a rather heavy welt and being tan I think I would restrict them to casual only. Besides, having different shoes for different occasions is part of the fun, no?
Lol I thought so too. I just wanted them for quite some times.
post #17957 of 48550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

Nice, but why no bulled captoes? confused.gif

Not a fan of mirror shine. And I don't own a pair of black caps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

you wear your tie bar low!
So it can keep the tie in place!
post #17958 of 48550
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

sigh
My Work Is Not Yet Done
Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9-10)
And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,)
And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf's foot: and they sparkled like the colour of burnished brass.
None shall be weary nor stumble among them; none shall slumber nor sleep; neither shall the girdle of their loins be loosed, nor the latchet of their shoes be broken:
post #17959 of 48550

Can any one recommend a store in Sydney to buy some good MTM casual pants.

post #17960 of 48550
I don't have much at all to add right now so i'll just say that I only have 2.5 days left until I'm on holidays for 2 and a half weeks!

Oh and this is what I am wearing today - Brown printed silk un-tipped 7 fold, blue Cottonwork shirt and Herringbone suit from a few seasons back.

post #17961 of 48550
Senor Chang post by jobro.

LOL.

So well played.
post #17962 of 48550

From today's Age:

 

 

Quote:

FURNITURE and whitegoods retailer Harvey Norman has upped the ante in its campaign against GST-free online goods, warning that if it left Australia for lower-cost countries, it would prompt an exodus among retailers.

Speaking after calls for Harvey Norman chairman Gerry Harvey to stand down, its managing director, Katie Page (Mr Harvey's wife), said that critics making ''outrageous statements'' about the company misunderstood it or were simply focused on the short term.

Ms Page also attempted, with little success, to rile attendees at a superannuation conference to "get angry" about the exemption of online sales valued at under $1000 from GST and tariffs.

Harvey Norman has been one of the major retailers campaigning, unsuccessfully, for imported goods valued at less than $1000 to be subject to the goods and services tax and tariffs. Ms Page said she would keep fighting.

''They [other retailers] can actually be setting up in Hong Kong - anywhere in Asia now actually, Hong Kong is the favoured place. There's lots of advisers of going around, speaking to thousands of retailers at the moment, saying, 'Just set up the company in Hong Kong and ship into this country','' she told the conference in Melbourne. ''How un-Australian is that?''

Asked whether Harvey Norman would do that, Ms Page said: ''Let's just take it step by step. I think that is just the worst thing an Australian company could do. It could solve a lot of problems but, you know, if Harvey Norman did that, everybody else would follow. And that's wrong.''

Ms Page also accused governments of failing to distinguish to the public between taxes collected and services delivered.

''I'm forever out there saying, for god's sake, if there's no GST, no tariffs, no compliance, who's paying for the health, education, all these issues that are out there at the moment, who is supposed to pay for them? It's as if individuals don't understand how our tax system works and how important it is.''

Ms Page said she felt ''desperately sorry for'' fashion retailers in Australia, which faced tariffs of between 5 and 25 per cent before GST, and were damned by analysts for their labour costs as they put on more staff to address complaints about poor service.

''You've got people out there saying, 'They're behind the eight ball, they don't know what they're doing'. How would you like it if overseas competitors could ship into this country and have costs of up to 50 per cent less than yours, because they government hasn't dealt with this issue?''

Harvey Norman has said Australian retail is in its worst state for 25 years. Recently it reported net profit of $172.5 million, down 31.6 per cent.

The New South Wales government, reliant on funding from the GST, has called for the federal government to cut the threshold to $30.

Shares in Harvey Norman were flat yesterday at $1.995.



Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/norman-exit-then-an-exodus-20120918-264p5.html#ixzz26rn7OCyC

 

post #17963 of 48550


From Gerry and anyone who follows his Tumblr.

Good to see Oslo Davis back in The Age.
post #17964 of 48550
I have such a distaste for the term 'un-Australian'
post #17965 of 48550
Harvey and co. simply don't get it sarcasm.gif
post #17966 of 48550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

From today's Age:

 

 

Quote:

 

The New South Wales government, reliant on funding from the GST, has called for the federal government to cut the threshold to $30.

 

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/norman-exit-then-an-exodus-20120918-264p5.html#ixzz26rn7OCyC

 

 

Someone hasn't been reading their reports.

post #17967 of 48550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

Harvey and co. simply don't get it sarcasm.gif

Yes, but having said that, I think the writing is on the wall. I would be very surprised if plans are not announced to lower the GST threshold to, say, $100 (I forget the exact number but whatever the threshold is at that moment where inspecting packages starts to cost more than the GST collected) before EOFY 2014.

I don't think it will happen this year since Gillard won't risk such a divisive measure when she is finally on the upswing. And I doubt it will happen next year since it will be a pretty unpopular policy and it's an election year.

I think it will come in reasonably soon after the election (especially if Abbott & co. get in). If the election is early (reasonably unlikely thankfully), say September, then I think there's a chance it might be rushed in for that Xmas period. Otherwise early-mid 2014.

But, simply put, the government can't and won't ignore the calls from the retail sector forever. And once it is in at a high level, the customs process will be made more efficient and the threshold will get lower and lower.

To that end, I think if you have your eye on some big ticket items, it might be better to start thinking about how you're going to be able to afford them in that sort of time frame to save yourself some $$ in the long run.

*edit: stories like this are a weekly occurrence now: http://www.theage.com.au/business/djs-flags-sale-of-cbd-stores-as-profit-slumps-20120919-265ey.html
post #17968 of 48550
I'm totally resigned to paying GST for online goods. Will not make any difference to my desire to purchase goods online.
post #17969 of 48550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post

Yes, but having said that, I think the writing is on the wall. I would be very surprised if plans are not announced to lower the GST threshold to, say, $100 (I forget the exact number but whatever the threshold is at that moment where inspecting packages starts to cost more than the GST collected) before EOFY 2014.
I don't think it will happen this year since Gillard won't risk such a divisive measure when she is finally on the upswing. And I doubt it will happen next year since it will be a pretty unpopular policy and it's an election year.
I think it will come in reasonably soon after the election (especially if Abbott & co. get in). If the election is early (reasonably unlikely thankfully), say September, then I think there's a chance it might be rushed in for that Xmas period. Otherwise early-mid 2014.
But, simply put, the government can't and won't ignore the calls from the retail sector forever. And once it is in at a high level, the customs process will be made more efficient and the threshold will get lower and lower.
To that end, I think if you have your eye on some big ticket items, it might be better to start thinking about how you're going to be able to afford them in that sort of time frame to save yourself some $$ in the long run.
*edit: stories like this are a weekly occurrence now: http://www.theage.com.au/business/djs-flags-sale-of-cbd-stores-as-profit-slumps-20120919-265ey.html

You're right, the government may well act on this to the benefit of Harvey et al, I realise that, but that doesn't change the fact that a) Harvey and co. don't get why people aren't buying from them, so therefore charging GST on imported goods won't likely make one iota of a difference to the decline in Harvey's/DJ/s etc. fortunes and b) I don't have to like the government changing their policy. But, as Ernesto points out, it won't change how I buy my goods either.
post #17970 of 48550
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

I have such a distaste for the term 'un-Australian'

Could not agree more, esp. being a foreigner...or an UnAustralianer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

Harvey and co. simply don't get it sarcasm.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

Harvey and co. simply don't get it sarcasm.gif

Or maybe they do and are unwilling to change.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members