or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 117

post #1741 of 52383
Quote:
Originally Posted by __PG__ View Post
BTW I've noticed a disturbing trend in Melbourne of people only fastening the bottom button of their suit jacket.

What's all that about?!?

Can't say I've noticed that, although I did see far far too many people with both buttons fastened at the Races.
post #1742 of 52383
LookSmart fiasco I gave them four suits that I needed for a business trip and told them when I needed them for, They were 100% confident that it was all easily achievable. They then called me 2 hours before I was due to pick them up saying none of them has been done, and to pick one that I needed most urgently. The job of which turned out to be sub-par I then returned from my trip and organised to come and have a chat/pick up the remainder of my items. When I got in there, all the bosses had bailed and left these two poor workers to deal with me. Such nice, helpful people, but absolutely out of their depth. Had no idea what I was talking about nor had the authority to do anything about it. I have since sent 2 emails and made 10 phone calls since with ZERO response. For the record – the additional items were average to say the best I'm never keen to flame someones business in public, but get back to me and avoid me doing so.. simple
post #1743 of 52383
Is that the LookSmart that everyone recommends in the city? I'm not surprised, I dropped off 10 shirts with them earlier this year that I scored at one of the herringbone outlets. For all of them I required to take the sides in and do darts. Because of my higher than average drop (which has since disappeared because of injuries). When I came to get them fitted I could barely put this shirts on. They took the arms in, shoulders, sides etc... the stuff was so tight I couldn't bend my arms and I could barely button them up... I'm sure you can imagine what it looked like from the front. It took 2 months of going back and forth, some times they altered the shirts other times they didn't even touch them. Very often after they were altered, they had to be altered again and again to get right. Now all of the shirts have loads of pin holes. I was really pissed off with them. Does anyone know of a decent tailor in Sydney?
post #1744 of 52383
Who reccommends LookSmart? Thats like reccomending Burger King to someone after a gourmet burger! LookSmart have arrangements with David Jones and Myer here in Perth - I can imagine the number of idiots that LookSmart receive that have no idea about fine tailoring. This would no doubt lower the standard of service towards the average customer.
post #1745 of 52383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChefs View Post
Does anyone know of a decent tailor in Sydney?

Try here: http://www.mrtailor.com.au/

I had him downsize an ill-fitting jacket by redoing the shoulders. Not the cheapest, but it was reasonably technical work that could have ruined the jacket if he got it wrong.

He was once the in-house alterations tailor for Henry Bucks in Sydney.
post #1746 of 52383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
LookSmart fiasco
I gave them four suits that I needed for a business trip and told them when I needed them for, They were 100% confident that it was all easily achievable. They then called me 2 hours before I was due to pick them up saying none of them has been done, and to pick one that I needed most urgently.
The job of which turned out to be sub-par

I then returned from my trip and organised to come and have a chat/pick up the remainder of my items.

When I got in there, all the bosses had bailed and left these two poor workers to deal with me. Such nice, helpful people, but absolutely out of their depth. Had no idea what I was talking about nor had the authority to do anything about it.

I have since sent 2 emails and made 10 phone calls since with ZERO response.
For the record - the additional items were average to say the best

I'm never keen to flame someones business in public, but get back to me and avoid me doing so.. simple

Nasty.

To be honest though you were always running that risk once you went to them.
post #1747 of 52383
Yeah, silly me listening to the sods at Herringbone Chatswood (HINT to which LookSmart it was) They are in desperate need of new affiliations. This was the first and last time I will use them, and it was only on recommendation from Herringbone. They probably get Kickbacks and incentives
post #1748 of 52383
In defence to HB I think they just go with the cheapest local guys - QVB for example go to one of the tailors in the QVB building and I don't think there is a looksmart in there (Margaret's I think it's called?)
post #1749 of 52383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post
In defence to HB I think they just go with the cheapest local guys - QVB for example go to one of the tailors in the QVB building and I don't think there is a looksmart in there (Margaret's I think it's called?)

Check out Herringbone's Ethan Desu's blog: Value.
post #1750 of 52383
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
Double Monks are about $190.00

Are you serious? Wow that's pretty good. I'm assuming they arenot made here for those prices being hand welted?

Is there an option for those of us not in Brisbane to take measurements ourselves and send them to you or do we need to come in for an appointment?

There are some really nice styles in the gallery. I was going to PM you but I think all the aussies here would benefit from this info and maybe some more detail on the ordering process such as lead times, leaher quality (calf or corrected) etc. If that price is right you could pick up some good clients here.

Cheers
post #1751 of 52383
Sorry just saw the pricing on the previous page, my bad. Still keen to hear about the leather quality and ordering process though.
post #1752 of 52383
Quote:
Originally Posted by __PG__ View Post
BTW I've noticed a disturbing trend in Melbourne of people only fastening the bottom button of their suit jacket.

What's all that about?!?

I've seen several in Sydney too, especially around Central Station.
post #1753 of 52383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post
In defence to HB I think they just go with the cheapest local guys - QVB for example go to one of the tailors in the QVB building and I don't think there is a looksmart in there (Margaret's I think it's called?)

I used to get Joe Cutrone at Edgecliff station to do all my tailoring and he was great.

Working out at Parra at the moment and am getting Sam Disano to do some bits and pieces for me. He's half the price of Looksmart and infinitely better. Plus, he's always good for a 20 minute chat about the state of NSW politics which is pretty funny.
post #1754 of 52383
Looksmart made the generous offer of $10 off my next dealing though.. I would rather a smack in the chops than a free dealing
post #1755 of 52383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Looksmart made the generous offer of $10 off my next dealing though..
I would rather a smack in the chops than a free dealing

Sounds like you got what you wished for!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members