or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1048

post #15706 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

talking fillums - went to see the Royal Affair the other night.

Very classy film, well directed, scripted, acted and costumed. I do like a film that goes for a decent amount of time and at around 2 hours 15 minutes this one never seems too long.

Although dressed up (small word play) as a period romance - it is a meaty examination of the Enlightenment and the spread of those ideas thorough Europe in the late 1700s and gives an insight into why some of the ideas still struggle to be translated to policy, laws and actions.

Aside from the humping scenes and a bit of the unverifiable domestic dialogue etc the film seems to be remarkably historically accurate.

Those who have even a passing interest in the development of clothes (mens in particular) will also have much to occupy their eyes if the sex, romance, intrigue, politics, blood and intellectual shenanigans are too tame.

Totally agree - this is the best film I've seen for quite a while (I'm more of an arthouse fan than blockbuster). Don't know about the sartorial angle, but it's a great story, mostly true, and Mads Mikkelson is his usual intense self. Alicia Vikander is highly decorative, and we're hopefully going to see a lot more of her.

If you're up for a giggle, you might try Hysteria, about the invention of the vibrator.
post #15707 of 53375

Anyone know the cheapest/easiest way to get a Filson briefcase to Oz?

post #15708 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesos View Post

Anyone know the cheapest/easiest way to get a Filson briefcase to Oz?

depends what colour/style u want?

 

i got my otter green 256 from urban outfitters and googled a coupon to use for discount:)

post #15709 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post

I didn't know they sell Brunello Cucinelli stuff here in Australia! $1600 for a jacket though.

BC has a store in MLC sydney 

 

i picked up a tie .. $580 ... jeepers

post #15710 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post


Massimo Dutti - the upmarket sibling of Zara - is another retailer I like, which I wish existed here. I don't want to spend $200 on a t-shirt or $500 on a jumper!
I purchased a number of items from Massimo Dutti at full price - I would be paying double in Melbourne.

 

Couldn't agree more about Massimo Dutti.

I had been on the hunt for a briefcase for about 6 months and then I picked up one of the these in London a month ago:

 

http://www.massimodutti.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/duttigb/en/30109452/256502/408031/BRIEFCASE

 

It actually cost me £90 although I think they may be out of stock now.

 

The leather is ridiculously soft, I'm talking about calf skin gloves soft (If anyone has a pair from Chester Jefferies it's the same quality).

 

Reading through the Briefcase Porn thread and looking at stores around Melbourne I have a hard time believing that people can find value in spending $700+ on a bag.

 

post #15711 of 53375

OK I dont think Im one that should be wearing dubmonks. Even on the tightest hole they feel a tad loose and i like a firm fit. They are alot softer and more comfy than my black calf oxfords so its a shame - ill stick with laces in future.

 

Might see if my mate wants em otherwise ill sell them to whoever wants them.

post #15712 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post

OK I dont think Im one that should be wearing dubmonks. Even on the tightest hole they feel a tad loose and i like a firm fit.

Surely this is a last issue not an issue with (double) monks in general?
post #15713 of 53375

Jacket collar gaps... is the only way to not have it to buy bespoke?

When my arms are in resting position it's not a problem, like with most people I suspect, but with my jacket buttoned and my arms raised it becomes quiet unsightly.

Why does it occur? - just a bit self conscious about it!

post #15714 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

Surely this is a last issue not an issue with (double) monks in general?

Perhaps although because the top buckle is elastic i dnt like the feel vs laces. Im fussy lol
post #15715 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliechan View Post

Jacket collar gaps... is the only way to not have it to buy bespoke?
When my arms are in resting position it's not a problem, like with most people I suspect, but with my jacket buttoned and my arms raised it becomes quiet unsightly.
Why does it occur? - just a bit self conscious about it!

PoSt a pic with it buttoned
post #15716 of 53375
I'm looking at picking up a pair of burgundy derby shoes...I'm just a little unsure about the color, how versatile is burgundy?
post #15717 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliechan View Post

Jacket collar gaps... is the only way to not have it to buy bespoke?
When my arms are in resting position it's not a problem, like with most people I suspect, but with my jacket buttoned and my arms raised it becomes quiet unsightly.
Why does it occur? - just a bit self conscious about it!

Ask yourself this (and I used to ask it a lot to gents in Fletcher Jones who automatically put there hands up in the air when trying a jacket on.

Do you walk around like this all the time, with the hands raised like a zombie? No I didn't think so. So my advice, if it's sitting well in resting position and when your generally walking around getting about, 99.9% will not notice it so you have nothing to worry about. The .01 % that will notice are right here!
post #15718 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romp View Post


PoSt a pic with it buttoned

 

 

Thanks mate...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

No probs there... (sleeves look quite funny here, not sure why - not normally like this)

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

700

Good ol' hand on shoulder trick, still buttoned

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post


Ask yourself this (and I used to ask it a lot to gents in Fletcher Jones who automatically put there hands up in the air when trying a jacket on.
Do you walk around like this all the time, with the hands raised like a zombie? No I didn't think so. So my advice, if it's sitting well in resting position and when your generally walking around getting about, 99.9% will not notice it so you have nothing to worry about. The .01 % that will notice are right here!

 

Yes you are right of course... I was thinking on occasions such as weddings where I am required to dance (have a few coming up) and I suppose most men will have the same problem... still!

Would an athletic / swimmers (broad back / shoulder) shape contribute to this problem? 

post #15719 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Cognac View Post

I'm looking at picking up a pair of burgundy derby shoes...I'm just a little unsure about the color, how versatile is burgundy?

 

I think great choice..I have a pair of these

http://www.beggarmanthief.com.au/images/Range/ss11/Grenson/Grenson-Kirk-Burgundy-Calf.jpg

Love them to bits.. goes with most colours (except black?)

post #15720 of 53375
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliechan View Post


Thanks mate...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

No probs there... (sleeves look quite funny here, not sure why - not normally like this)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Good ol' hand on shoulder trick, still buttoned


Yes you are right of course... I was thinking on occasions such as weddings where I am required to dance (have a few coming up) and I suppose most men will have the same problem... still!
Would an athletic / swimmers (broad back / shoulder) shape contribute to this problem? 

Is that from Suit Supply?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members