or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 943

post #14131 of 55218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLG ITA View Post

Yes of course...I didn't bring everything but hopefully enough (specially for all my shoes)!

I realized after the first week here in Perth that Australian shopping is not exactly like Italian shopping cheers.gif

Perth is not representative of the rest of Australia in almost everything.
post #14132 of 55218
The GF is after a new winter coat and is asking me to take her to Paddington Coats in Richmond tomorrow. Probably not in our circle of competence, but can anybody suggest any other places we should try?
post #14133 of 55218
^ Lawrence Ordnance.
post #14134 of 55218
Gents,

I saw a lovely PoW tie the other day in Herringbone, with a very soft hand to it. I thought it was a wool blend, but it turned out to be 100% silk. Regrettably, it was too narrow for my tastes, but I am now on the hunt for something similar in a proper (9.5cm or more) width, or MTO.

Typically, the PoW ties I see are in a very hard, dry tightly-woven silk, so any recommendations would be gratefully accepted!

Cheers,


FP
post #14135 of 55218
GUYS,

Rumours from agents at my old work and from a very well known Aussie designer a very good friend is working for is that Country Road is broke and have placed themselves in voluntary administration.

I have to say that whilst im not surprised im actually quite disappointed.
post #14136 of 55218
I think CR is majority owned by the South African Woolworths group, so if the rumours are true, I wonder if the parent would bail them out?
post #14137 of 55218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyMichel View Post

GUYS,
Rumours from agents at my old work and from a very well known Aussie designer a very good friend is working for is that Country Road is broke and have placed themselves in voluntary administration.
I have to say that whilst im not surprised im actually quite disappointed.

Disappointing but, as you say, not surprising.

CR's business wear has been absolutely awful for a long time - an absolute shadow of the stuff they used to make - and their casual clothes are crappy imitations of stuff that you can easily order from Land's End or J.Crew. The killer, of course, is that CR's version is not only crappier than the Land's End version from the US, but CR also charges more for it.
post #14138 of 55218
The whole suits and friendship bracelets/beads thing is getting well overplayed...
post #14139 of 55218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

I'd also suggest that the extra fittings on true bespoke only improve early work*, see PG's commments on pj// chan. Pj is also in the same price bracket as not prestige machine made bespoke anyway.
* Assumes equal skill.

A true Bespoke Tailor, such as WWC, offer more than just the potential for better fit. They offer stylistic options that are not attainable via the PJ ordering system. I went from WWC to PJ, and I found PJ restrictive in terms of what I could order. Both in terms of style, and in terms of cloth. What makes PJ a winner in my book is the fact that they are based in Australia, and that I like the idea of supporting an Australian company (whose manufacturing is overseas of course). Interestingly, my pending PJ order (Ariston - Wool) was more expensive than my latest pending WWC order (JJ Minnis - Wool). This is a result of the current strength of the Australian dollar, as well as the slowly rising prices of PJ. I prefer WWC to be honest, for the wide open flexibility, as well as the superior finish.

PJ make a good product, and I will continue to order clothing from them, but their strongest attributes are the fact that they are accessible to Australian men who do not travel overseas frequently, as well as the fact that they are honest and reliable, with a customer-centric focus. The Melbourne Showroom have looked after many of my colleagues at work, and have adjusted or even remade clothing at their own expense, to make things right. This degree of customer service is invaluable.
post #14140 of 55218
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

A true Bespoke Tailor, such as WWC, offer more than just the potential for better fit. They offer stylistic options that are not attainable via the PJ ordering system. I went from WWC to PJ, and I found PJ restrictive in terms of what I could order. Both in terms of style, and in terms of cloth. What makes PJ a winner in my book is the fact that they are based in Australia, and that I like the idea of supporting an Australian company (whose manufacturing is overseas of course). Interestingly, my pending PJ order (Ariston - Wool) was more expensive than my latest pending WWC order (JJ Minnis - Wool). This is a result of the current strength of the Australian dollar, as well as the slowly rising prices of PJ. I prefer WWC to be honest, for the wide open flexibility, as well as the superior finish.
PJ make a good product, and I will continue to order clothing from them, but their strongest attributes are the fact that they are accessible to Australian men who do not travel overseas frequently, as well as the fact that they are honest and reliable, with a customer-centric focus. The Melbourne Showroom have looked after many of my colleagues at work, and have adjusted or even remade clothing at their own expense, to make things right. This degree of customer service is invaluable.

Good points, I'd add that whatever reservations I may have held about Patrick's or Tom's personal styles when I first met them [tongue.gif] is by now more than offset by their willingness to go the extra mile to do right by you.
Edited by apropos - 6/8/12 at 4:46am
post #14141 of 55218
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

I'd also suggest that the extra fittings on true bespoke only improve early work*, see PG's commments on pj// chan. Pj is also in the same price bracket as not prestige machine made bespoke anyway.
* Assumes equal skill.

A true Bespoke Tailor, such as WWC, offer more than just the potential for better fit. They offer stylistic options that are not attainable via the PJ ordering system. I went from WWC to PJ, and I found PJ restrictive in terms of what I could order. Both in terms of style, and in terms of cloth. What makes PJ a winner in my book is the fact that they are based in Australia, and that I like the idea of supporting an Australian company (whose manufacturing is overseas of course). Interestingly, my pending PJ order (Ariston - Wool) was more expensive than my latest pending WWC order (JJ Minnis - Wool). This is a result of the current strength of the Australian dollar, as well as the slowly rising prices of PJ. I prefer WWC to be honest, for the wide open flexibility, as well as the superior finish.
On the fit -- assuming a paper pattern is being cut you can get to the same point it may just take longer...

I get more flexibility out of Deer than I get out of my MBT. Obviously I can't comment on PJ. My MBT is actually slighty cheaper too for that matter (200-300 or so IIRC on similar fabrics). I've also run into very very few things I can't get deer to Deer to do (mainly waterfall pleats in shirting), maybe other Brisbane members have run into more constraints.
Edited by Plestor - 6/8/12 at 4:18am
post #14142 of 55218
Plestor, forgive my ignorance but what is MBT?

All I can think of is Menswear by Toucan...
post #14143 of 55218
Quote:
Originally Posted by The False Prophet View Post

Plestor, forgive my ignorance but what is MBT?

All I can think of is Menswear by Toucan...
Mystery Bespoke Talior.

Eta: To clarify if he was out of Brisbane (or even if he traveled at all) and there wasn't a bit of a language barrier...
post #14144 of 55218
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

A true Bespoke Tailor, such as WWC, offer more than just the potential for better fit. They offer stylistic options that are not attainable via the PJ ordering system. I went from WWC to PJ, and I found PJ restrictive in terms of what I could order. Both in terms of style, and in terms of cloth. What makes PJ a winner in my book is the fact that they are based in Australia, and that I like the idea of supporting an Australian company (whose manufacturing is overseas of course). Interestingly, my pending PJ order (Ariston - Wool) was more expensive than my latest pending WWC order (JJ Minnis - Wool). This is a result of the current strength of the Australian dollar, as well as the slowly rising prices of PJ. I prefer WWC to be honest, for the wide open flexibility, as well as the superior finish.
PJ make a good product, and I will continue to order clothing from them, but their strongest attributes are the fact that they are accessible to Australian men who do not travel overseas frequently, as well as the fact that they are honest and reliable, with a customer-centric focus. The Melbourne Showroom have looked after many of my colleagues at work, and have adjusted or even remade clothing at their own expense, to make things right. This degree of customer service is invaluable.

Good post. In my experience, I have found PJ's Ariston books to be much more interesting for odd jackets than what I found at WWC and haven't really noticed much difference in terms of the quality of finish. Both offer excellent products at a similar price.
post #14145 of 55218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Disappointing but, as you say, not surprising.
CR's business wear has been absolutely awful for a long time - an absolute shadow of the stuff they used to make - and their casual clothes are crappy imitations of stuff that you can easily order from Land's End or J.Crew. The killer, of course, is that CR's version is not only crappier than the Land's End version from the US, but CR also charges more for it.

If true, good riddance to baaaad rubbish. Free up that capital to be put to more productive use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members