Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 922post #13816 of 552575/29/12 at 2:42am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #13817 of 552575/29/12 at 2:42ampost #13818 of 552575/29/12 at 2:45ampost #13819 of 552575/29/12 at 2:46ampost #13820 of 552575/29/12 at 2:52ampost #13821 of 552575/29/12 at 2:54ampost #13822 of 552575/29/12 at 2:57ampost #13823 of 552575/29/12 at 2:59ampost #13824 of 552575/29/12 at 3:24ampost #13825 of 552575/29/12 at 3:30ampost #13826 of 552575/29/12 at 4:26ampost #13827 of 552575/29/12 at 6:55ampost #13828 of 552575/29/12 at 7:31am
Is anyone able to recommend some tailors or stores for alterations (waist suppression) in the Sydney CBD?
A search of this thread yields around 50 pages of matches for alterations/tailors. Unfortunately, I do have a slight time constraint as a friend of mine can bring the suits to Lee Baron to alter for me (who put together a great fitting suit a month ago).
I would definitely appreciate any advice, given the wealth of experience on here. The crux of the dilemma is that I need to have three suit jackets brought in, as the jacket sides are far too wide. Evidently, I didn't have much foresight as I only purchased the suits six months ago overseas - before deciding to be slightly less unhealthy.
So based on my browsing, some options for the alterations are:
- M&R Tailors
- Lucy's Tailor (which I've used previously, but only to shorten the sleeves for OTR), quoted over the phone between $50-150.
I could always take the option of trying out all three places, but I'd much rather go to once place have them bring in one jacket and let them do the rest if I am comfortable.
Basically, any suggestions or recommendations for someone not too well versed with it all would be much appreciated. Any pointers on how I should request the jackets to be brought in would be great too (e.g. I've read that having it brought in via the centre back seam is not advised).post #13829 of 552575/29/12 at 12:46pm
We use Maher at M&R Tailors often and he always does a good job at a reasonable price. He is an excellent tailor but you need to firmly pin him down to a completion date.
I have also had a few of my customers use Tasanee Alterations in the Hunter Arcade at Wynyard station and the feedback I have received has been good. Quick and inexpensive.
In the online suit retailing business you always get a couple of suits a month that need to be altered (99% of the time as a result of the customer getting the measurements wrong) and we have these altered under our "No Worries Guarantee", so we get to use a few of the alteration places and ask for feedback from the customers on their experience for future reference. You need to be careful as some of these places are absolute cowboys who will charge massive amounts for what should be a simple job. They will also tell you that you need work that's really not necessary.
I started an alliance with franchised alterations group that I had to end after my customers were charged outlandish amounts. One guy was suckered into $360 to alter a suit and that was after our supposed 25% discount we negotiated (to both my surprise and horror he happily paid it). So the retail price of the alteration was supposed to be $480. I'm sorry but there is no amount of alterations you can do to a suit that would cost $480 and if we did deliver a suit that was so bad that it needed so much alteration I would have arranged to have it picked up and a new one made and fired the tailor that made the first one.
I rang the owner of the store and told him in no uncertain words what I thought of him and his business practices. We then sent the customer into a tailor to get new and accurate measurements and sent him his next suit free of charge and threw in two shirts as well in order to make up for him being so badly ripped off.
There are some excellent "hole in the wall" alteration places out there with experienced and skilled owners that are able to do excellent work at reasonable prices. However there are also some cowboys out there as well. It's hard to find the good ones so I think asking on forums like this is a great idea.post #13830 of 552575/29/12 at 3:16pm
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › NIB Carmina for Epaulet Alt Wien 9 UK, 10 US 39 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 minutes ago
- › Steven Alan 6 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 7 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...