Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 11/14/13 at 8:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 922
Styleforum Top Picks
Is anyone able to recommend some tailors or stores for alterations (waist suppression) in the Sydney CBD?
A search of this thread yields around 50 pages of matches for alterations/tailors. Unfortunately, I do have a slight time constraint as a friend of mine can bring the suits to Lee Baron to alter for me (who put together a great fitting suit a month ago).
I would definitely appreciate any advice, given the wealth of experience on here. The crux of the dilemma is that I need to have three suit jackets brought in, as the jacket sides are far too wide. Evidently, I didn't have much foresight as I only purchased the suits six months ago overseas - before deciding to be slightly less unhealthy.
So based on my browsing, some options for the alterations are:
- M&R Tailors
- Lucy's Tailor (which I've used previously, but only to shorten the sleeves for OTR), quoted over the phone between $50-150.
I could always take the option of trying out all three places, but I'd much rather go to once place have them bring in one jacket and let them do the rest if I am comfortable.
Basically, any suggestions or recommendations for someone not too well versed with it all would be much appreciated. Any pointers on how I should request the jackets to be brought in would be great too (e.g. I've read that having it brought in via the centre back seam is not advised).
We use Maher at M&R Tailors often and he always does a good job at a reasonable price. He is an excellent tailor but you need to firmly pin him down to a completion date.
I have also had a few of my customers use Tasanee Alterations in the Hunter Arcade at Wynyard station and the feedback I have received has been good. Quick and inexpensive.
In the online suit retailing business you always get a couple of suits a month that need to be altered (99% of the time as a result of the customer getting the measurements wrong) and we have these altered under our "No Worries Guarantee", so we get to use a few of the alteration places and ask for feedback from the customers on their experience for future reference. You need to be careful as some of these places are absolute cowboys who will charge massive amounts for what should be a simple job. They will also tell you that you need work that's really not necessary.
I started an alliance with franchised alterations group that I had to end after my customers were charged outlandish amounts. One guy was suckered into $360 to alter a suit and that was after our supposed 25% discount we negotiated (to both my surprise and horror he happily paid it). So the retail price of the alteration was supposed to be $480. I'm sorry but there is no amount of alterations you can do to a suit that would cost $480 and if we did deliver a suit that was so bad that it needed so much alteration I would have arranged to have it picked up and a new one made and fired the tailor that made the first one.
I rang the owner of the store and told him in no uncertain words what I thought of him and his business practices. We then sent the customer into a tailor to get new and accurate measurements and sent him his next suit free of charge and threw in two shirts as well in order to make up for him being so badly ripped off.
There are some excellent "hole in the wall" alteration places out there with experienced and skilled owners that are able to do excellent work at reasonable prices. However there are also some cowboys out there as well. It's hard to find the good ones so I think asking on forums like this is a great idea.
- Australian Members
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 1 minute ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › COS Pants Grey EU52 New with tags 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones Harlech Shell Cordovan Boots - UK9E 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 5 minutes ago
- › veilance xs 5 minutes ago
- › Made my own trousers, pictures inside 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by ahilal
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw