Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 4/17/16 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 922post #13816 of 679465/29/12 at 2:42ampost #13817 of 679465/29/12 at 2:42ampost #13818 of 679465/29/12 at 2:45ampost #13819 of 679465/29/12 at 2:46ampost #13820 of 679465/29/12 at 2:52ampost #13821 of 679465/29/12 at 2:54ampost #13822 of 679465/29/12 at 2:57ampost #13823 of 679465/29/12 at 2:59ampost #13824 of 679465/29/12 at 3:24ampost #13825 of 679465/29/12 at 3:30ampost #13826 of 679465/29/12 at 4:26ampost #13827 of 679465/29/12 at 6:55ampost #13828 of 679465/29/12 at 7:31am
Is anyone able to recommend some tailors or stores for alterations (waist suppression) in the Sydney CBD?
A search of this thread yields around 50 pages of matches for alterations/tailors. Unfortunately, I do have a slight time constraint as a friend of mine can bring the suits to Lee Baron to alter for me (who put together a great fitting suit a month ago).
I would definitely appreciate any advice, given the wealth of experience on here. The crux of the dilemma is that I need to have three suit jackets brought in, as the jacket sides are far too wide. Evidently, I didn't have much foresight as I only purchased the suits six months ago overseas - before deciding to be slightly less unhealthy.
So based on my browsing, some options for the alterations are:
- M&R Tailors
- Lucy's Tailor (which I've used previously, but only to shorten the sleeves for OTR), quoted over the phone between $50-150.
I could always take the option of trying out all three places, but I'd much rather go to once place have them bring in one jacket and let them do the rest if I am comfortable.
Basically, any suggestions or recommendations for someone not too well versed with it all would be much appreciated. Any pointers on how I should request the jackets to be brought in would be great too (e.g. I've read that having it brought in via the centre back seam is not advised).post #13829 of 679465/29/12 at 12:46pm
We use Maher at M&R Tailors often and he always does a good job at a reasonable price. He is an excellent tailor but you need to firmly pin him down to a completion date.
I have also had a few of my customers use Tasanee Alterations in the Hunter Arcade at Wynyard station and the feedback I have received has been good. Quick and inexpensive.
In the online suit retailing business you always get a couple of suits a month that need to be altered (99% of the time as a result of the customer getting the measurements wrong) and we have these altered under our "No Worries Guarantee", so we get to use a few of the alteration places and ask for feedback from the customers on their experience for future reference. You need to be careful as some of these places are absolute cowboys who will charge massive amounts for what should be a simple job. They will also tell you that you need work that's really not necessary.
I started an alliance with franchised alterations group that I had to end after my customers were charged outlandish amounts. One guy was suckered into $360 to alter a suit and that was after our supposed 25% discount we negotiated (to both my surprise and horror he happily paid it). So the retail price of the alteration was supposed to be $480. I'm sorry but there is no amount of alterations you can do to a suit that would cost $480 and if we did deliver a suit that was so bad that it needed so much alteration I would have arranged to have it picked up and a new one made and fired the tailor that made the first one.
I rang the owner of the store and told him in no uncertain words what I thought of him and his business practices. We then sent the customer into a tailor to get new and accurate measurements and sent him his next suit free of charge and threw in two shirts as well in order to make up for him being so badly ripped off.
There are some excellent "hole in the wall" alteration places out there with experienced and skilled owners that are able to do excellent work at reasonable prices. However there are also some cowboys out there as well. It's hard to find the good ones so I think asking on forums like this is a great idea.post #13830 of 679465/29/12 at 3:16pm
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › LEMAIRE 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 9 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 9 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 14 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 20 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 24 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 24 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...