or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 916

post #13726 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Gerry
I'm reluctant to say this in public but you know:
  1. the first step is to admit you are powerless in the grip of this need.
    then
  2. recognizing a higher power that can give strength;
  3. examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
    The two above are referring to me of course.
  4. making amends for these errors;
  5. learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
  6. helping others who suffer from the same compulsions.

lol8[1].gif
post #13727 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

I know these are meant to be beat up but I couldn't resist:

350x198px-LL-75389d01_IMG_3994.jpeg

RM Williams Comfort Craftsman in yearling leather - chestnut (L) and black (R).

How long is it taking you for each pair?
post #13728 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


Gerry
I'm reluctant to say this in public but you know:
  1. the first step is to admit you are powerless in the grip of this need.
    then
  2. recognizing a higher power that can give strength;
  3. examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
    The two above are referring to me of course.
  4. making amends for these errors;
  5. learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
  6. helping others who suffer from the same compulsions.

 

lol8[1].gif  I'll only admit it when I start trying to put a mirror shine on suede ...

 

The power of the mirror is very seductive ... my precious ...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post


How long is it taking you for each pair?

 

Those ones took ages to get the original shine - must have been six or seven layers but they were done back in December last year while I was still learning how to polish. They had been worn but hadn't been polished since then so I thought it was time. All I did was put a couple of layers of wax on and then finished off using a nylon stocking to buff it off.

 

Bear in mind that only the toes have a shine - the rest of it only had cream and a buff but the light makes it look as if the whole thing has has a shine. This might be a better representation:

 

IMG_3981.JPG

post #13729 of 54911
Just pulled the trigger on some Herring Brown Churchills and some Meermin Oxford Black Captoes. Can't wait!
post #13730 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by lychee View Post

Just pulled the trigger on some Herring Brown Churchills and some Meermin Oxford Black Captoes. Can't wait!

Great choice on the Churchills. I love the 11028 last - got two pairs on it. Brilliant.
post #13731 of 54911
Who do you guys recommend for a Topy and toe tap in Sydney CBD? - and how much are you paying?

The toe on my new C&Js is wearing - FAST.
post #13732 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post

Who do you guys recommend for a Topy and toe tap in Sydney CBD? - and how much are you paying?
The toe on my new C&Js is wearing - FAST.

toe cap should suffice.
post #13733 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Gerry
I'm reluctant to say this in public but you know:
  1. the first step is to admit you are powerless in the grip of this need.
    then
  2. recognizing a higher power that can give strength;
  3. examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
    The two above are referring to me of course.
  4. making amends for these errors;
  5. learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
  6. helping others who suffer from the same compulsions.

very well put. glad i have passed this phase already.

"interview" is scheduled for tuesday. i wasn't in the mood this week.
post #13734 of 54911

Given the hype regarding Carmina's on SF I'm very interested to find my best size/last combination. Are there any shops in Melbourne with a decent range? American Tailors?

post #13735 of 54911

Hey guys, been lurking around this thread a while. 

As a short guy living in Melbourne, where's a good place to snag a Navy Blazer? 20 year old here, looking to flesh out his wardrobe, and at 167cm (5'6"..?) it's a real struggle with most of the brands around. I fit a 36 chest just fine but the length makes it look like I'm wearing a hand-me-down. Been recommended P. Johnson but that quality of MTM is kind of out of my price range right now. Any other suggestions?

post #13736 of 54911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug92 View Post

Hey guys, been lurking around this thread a while. 
As a short guy living in Melbourne, where's a good place to snag a Navy Blazer? 20 year old here, looking to flesh out his wardrobe, and at 167cm (5'6"..?) it's a real struggle with most of the brands around. I fit a 36 chest just fine but the length makes it look like I'm wearing a hand-me-down. Been recommended P. Johnson but that quality of MTM is kind of out of my price range right now. Any other suggestions?

head down to Azzaro and have a look at the loose jackets they have. they have a few different drops so you might find something suited to your frame if you get lucky.

lucked out with a nice canali linen suit last week that was just too small. First time I've walked out of their empty handed.
post #13737 of 54911

This the place on Clarendon St?

post #13738 of 54911

This is the pair that started it all off back in December when Christian was showing me how to get a mirror shine - he'd take one shoe while I took the other and then we'd swap after 10 minutes.

 

That also reminds me - Christian's offering MTO with Alfred Sargent very soon so if anyone's interested, pop into Herringbone and have a chat with him. 

 

This morning, just a single layer and a quick buff with a nylon stocking and they were good to go.

 

C&J Connaught (This and the Monkton were the first two pairs of C&J that I bought):

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

 

fxh and fritzl, you don't have to worry yourselves - I don't have any other pairs of shoes that I'm planning to mirror shine smile.gif

post #13739 of 54911

worship.gif  too good Gerry, too good.

post #13740 of 54911
Gents, I'm selling a Herringbone sports jacket (unaltered, size 42) I bought a few years back. It's a shade lighter than the navy they use in their core suiting range. It also has navy elbow patches. My body shape has changed quite a bit since then so it doesn't get a lot of wear nowadays.

Admins, apologies if I should've posted this in buying/selling, however I thought it probably made more sense to let the Australian members know.

PM me for photos if you're interested and we can discuss pricing etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members