or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 908

post #13606 of 57252
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

Gerry - could you help out.
Do you think my boots need a polish? I think the edges may need a touch up.
464

 

Happy to polish them as long as I get to play with that hairy fellow that has them on.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggett View Post

 

I must say, GN, I am mighty impressed with your shoe shining efforts posted over the past few days. I'm looking forward to teaching myself how to get a similar look once I find some decent polish (as opposed to conditioner) which matches the color of the Westbournes nicely.

 

Thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The False Prophet View Post

Forgive my ignorance - born, no doubt, from reading this thread only intermittently - but what is this mythical shoe polishing method? I'm pretty happy with my results of late, but am always happy to improve, and Gerry's look great, as do the black Hallams that were posted.

 

Nothing mythical - this video although in French, is more or less what I do: http://www.linternaute.com/homme/mode-accessoires/bien-entretenir-ses-chaussures/les-etapes-en-video.shtml

post #13607 of 57252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblesse View Post

Does anyone know when the next David Jones sale on suits will be?

Possibly June, but don't get your hopes up about anything good being on sale. I've been twice to their 'big' sales and nothing has been worth it.
post #13608 of 57252
Quote:
Originally Posted by The False Prophet View Post

As for frangrance, I've decided I'm old enough to wear Acqua di Parma, and never looked back...

I always knew Queenslanders were diferent. When Acqua di Parma arrived on the scence in 2008. Every man and his dog was wearing it, in certian parts of Sydney, just like Calvin Klien's Eternity back in the 90's every table rat ( waiter) was drenched in the stuff. At the time you could not walk into a restaurant in Sydney with out being asulted by it.
post #13609 of 57252
451

467

263

Coat: Herringbone
Shirt: Cottonwork
Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear Wool
Scarf: Henry Carter Neckwear Navy Cashmere
Trousers: Benjamin
Shoes: Carmina Burgundy
post #13610 of 57252
Quote:
Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post

Thanks. Have you had them do a partial or a full resole and what do they use for heels?

Yes, I have had partial re-soles and re-heels on a couple of RM Williams boots and they just used the standard RM heels. For I while now I have been a dedicated follower of topyism - so not much need for re-soleing these days. Have had some new heels put on, but I couldn't tell you what kind they were.

They have also done quite a few "creative" repairs to school shoes for me to get them through to the end of the school year.
post #13611 of 57252
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetminimal View Post

Possibly June, but don't get your hopes up about anything good being on sale. I've been twice to their 'big' sales and nothing has been worth it.


Real bargains are usually found unadvertised and outside of sale periods. You just have to go in have a quick walk through from time to time. May be they can't really advertise real bargains as they can not reasonably be able to meet demand and may run afoul of trade practices law for baiting.

Trust me - I'm the resident SFAU cheapskate.
post #13612 of 57252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvaggio View Post

Yes, I have had partial re-soles and re-heels on a couple of RM Williams boots and they just used the standard RM heels. For I while now I have been a dedicated follower of topyism - so not much need for re-soleing these days. Have had some new heels put on, but I couldn't tell you what kind they were.
They have also done quite a few "creative" repairs to school shoes for me to get them through to the end of the school year.

Creative repairs laugh.gif
I remember back in high school, I tried extending the life of my school shoes by adding a layer of those thick rubbery gel-like adhesives (sort of like those glass and tile sealants) to my soles. Kind of did work too. Ah the good old days.
post #13613 of 57252

Do any cobblers in Melbourne do flush metal toe taps? Is it more worthwhile putting these on compared to the usual metal toe taps?

post #13614 of 57252
Gerry, none that I know of, and I've looked for some time, but maybe someone else here has had better luck in finding someone who can do this?

Perhaps the resoling service McCloud Shoes offers can do this?

B Nelson Shoe Repair in NYC offer this service, so if you have your shoes resoled by them, you could ask for them. In my opinion, flush toe taps are a lot better than raised ones, to the point where I don't even put them on because I dislike the raised ones so much. Some of my soles have a Topy, most don't. As for the arguments for/against Topy, I think we've all been down that road many times before.

P.S. B Nelson should be giving you "mate's rates" on account of the shared name biggrin.gif
post #13615 of 57252
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownman View Post

Gerry, none that I know of, and I've looked for some time, but maybe someone else here has had better luck in finding someone who can do this?
Perhaps the resoling service McCloud Shoes offers can do this?
B Nelson Shoe Repair in NYC offer this service, so if you have your shoes resoled by them, you could ask for them. In my opinion, flush toe taps are a lot better than raised ones, to the point where I don't even put them on because I dislike the raised ones so much. Some of my soles have a Topy, most don't. As for the arguments for/against Topy, I think we've all been down that road many times before.
P.S. B Nelson should be giving you "mate's rates" on account of the shared name biggrin.gif

 

Thanks for that. I'll ask them.

 

Regarding the "mates rates", I already tried with Julian and Sarah Nelson at A Fine Pair Of Shoes - no luck smile.gif

post #13616 of 57252

this bloke makes polishing shoes look fun:

 

post #13617 of 57252

While we are chatting shoes - my meermin's just arrived!

 

Fit like a glove (C&J 337 9uk and im a 9UK on the Hiro last) and quality is better than shoes that you’d buy locally for 2-3x more! Ill get more closeup pics later at home. I wouldnt go to say its the same quality as a C&J handgrade, but Id put them slightly below my Carmina's (although a much better fit for me!) and better than Bruno Magli

 

Going to load up on more - do I go brown suede oxford or dubmunk??

 

tumblr_m4gh6qwk7J1qkp4wlo1_1280.jpg

 

Other details:

* Ariston glen-check/window pane S130s hand finished by P Johnson for RB
* Thomas Mason Silver line for RB
* Tie Ralph Lauren Handmade in Italy
* Meermin Hiro last black oxford captoes

post #13618 of 57252
Nice Romp,

These are exactly what I will be getting for my wedding in September. Just a nice plain cap toe black oxford. I'm assuming they are the linea meastro line?
post #13619 of 57252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe View Post

Nice Romp,
These are exactly what I will be getting for my wedding in September. Just a nice plain cap toe black oxford. I'm assuming they are the linea meastro line?

Nope these are the plain old 150Euro stockers - $195AUD delivered. Now that I know my sizing ill be going for a few more!

post #13620 of 57252

Hey Romp, glad to hear they turned out well. Get the brown suede oxford and the dub munk!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members