Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 849post #12721 of 559935/1/12 at 8:41pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #12722 of 559935/1/12 at 8:47pmpost #12723 of 559935/1/12 at 8:51pmQuote:
Correct, even though this is a special order, I still only have so many fabrics available to choose from. Granted there are around 1200, but this is the darkest green as a stock colour. I have however shot off an email in anycase to ask if they have something darker, as I'm sure they will have heaps of fabrics from past seasons that are not offered now, but may be enough for our order. No promises though, but I should here back overnight anyway.
Re the weight conversion, it is a bit tricky as I used an online calculator as well with the same result but ounces for fabrics are also measured differently in different parts of the world (some in square feet, some in metres so it's very hard to say this equals that). From wikipedia -
Mommes (mm) are units of weight traditionally used to measure the surface density of silk. It is akin to the use of thread count to measure the quality of cotton fabrics, but is calculated in a very different manner. Instead of counting threads, the weight in mommes is a number that equals the weight in pounds of a piece of silk if it were sized 45 inches by 100 yards. This is because the standard width of silk is 45 inches wide, though silk is regularly produced in 55-inch widths, and, uncommonly, in even larger widths.
Silk can also be measured by weight in grams. 1 momme = 4.340 grams per square meter; 8 mommes is close to 1 ounce per square yard or 35 grams per square meter.
The usual range of momme weight for different weaves of silk are:
Habutai – 5 to 16 mm
Chiffon – 6 to 8 mm (can be made in double thickness, i.e. 12 to 16 mm)
Crepe de Chine – 12 to 16 mm
Gauze – 3 to 5 mm
Raw silk – 35 to 40 mm (heavier silks appear more 'wooly')
Organza – 4 to 6 mm
Charmeuse – 12 to 30 mm
The higher the weight in mommes, the more durable the weave, and the more suitable it is for heavy-duty use. And, the heavier the silk, the more opaque it becomes. This can vary even between the same kind of silk. For example, lightweight charmeuse is translucent when used in clothing, but 30-momme charmeuse is opaque.
Someone asked me if it was close to 50 oz and I have a 50oz twill at home from Dunhill, and I can say they are very similar. So the 9.5oz conversion while right using online calculators is a bit misleading. Anyway I can assure you it is a really nice weight.post #12724 of 559935/1/12 at 8:54pmpost #12725 of 559935/1/12 at 8:55pm
I have that particular tie in this colour and the dark navy one also. Have to be very careful of pulls, they have each been repaired once already. Still a nice tie, particularly like the design of the back blade.
Picked up my Royal Blue Eton special order today. Has been a year long quest searching for a nice Royal Blue shirt. A couple of you were asking to see the result once the order arrived. As with many of the other pics here, the iPhone struggles to take a quality shot.post #12726 of 559935/1/12 at 8:58pmpost #12727 of 559935/1/12 at 9:05pmQuote:
Also have this tie in navy.
Hey, maybe we should have the same tie so that we can....oh, hang on.post #12728 of 559935/1/12 at 9:15pmQuote:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Shirt: Lavender Herringbony stripes, Brooksfield. $10.50 from DFO!
Links: Blue Guilloche Wang
Tie: Purple bi-colour, blue backblade, knit, E. Zegna
Shoes: S.Mant for Borrelli
Socks (not shown): Best & Less
Belt (not shown): Some stall on the streets of China.
Underpants (not shown): boxerbrief , Uniqlo (F'Yeah!)
Bra(not shown): Red, unpadded, lace, Triumph
Nice one, blahman. I've always wanted one of those bi-colour ties. Uniqlo is great!post #12729 of 559935/1/12 at 9:35pmpost #12730 of 559935/1/12 at 9:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Re the weight conversion, it is a bit tricky as I used an online calculator as well with the same result but ounces for fabrics are also measured differently in different parts of the world (some in square feet, some in metres so it's very hard to say this equals that).
I've spent a bit of time looking at this and can't find anywhere that it specifies for any 50oz tie what exact that 50oz represents. Obviously it's impossible that said ties are made from a fabric that is 50oz/sq.yd. As such I'd guess that the 50oz represents some other area of fabric but it's really impossible to know without asking someone who has dealt with macclesfield or similar.post #12731 of 559935/1/12 at 9:48pmYeah me neither. I've googled extensively and can't find what any of the ties makers or silk producers measure by, to get to the 50oz weight. It seems to be something that mainly the british makers use rather than the Italians that I deal with. Anyway, as I said it's a great weight and the tie will come out fantastic in the end.post #12732 of 559935/1/12 at 9:55pmpost #12733 of 559935/1/12 at 10:51pmpost #12734 of 559935/1/12 at 11:16pmQuote:
PS, glad you're enjoying it!. I've got a theme planned for next week and I'm excluding weekends from this little exercise so if I wore a pair over the weekend, you might see it on one of the weekdays. So far so good, though.
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 seconds ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 19 seconds ago
- › Kiton on Vente-privee - Up to 70% off 22 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 3 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...