My proposed strategy too.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 7/29/15 at 1:07pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
Last edited: 10/6/15
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong KongLast edited: 10/1/15
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather ClothLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s Moral and Sartorial...Last edited: 8/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 764post #11446 of 654933/28/12 at 4:55pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11447 of 654933/28/12 at 5:01pm
I'm wearing a lapel flower, pocket square, double monks and a burgundy grenadine tie (closest I had to the 'official SF' tie ) - if that's not a giveaway, I don't know what is ...post #11448 of 654933/28/12 at 5:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
A very nice collection of shoes there and it looks like you've pretty much covered all bases.Dark brown suede loafers (strangely enough, I was also looking at a pair of these) would be a very nice addition at some point as well as a single cutaway or double monk. Based on what you have there, though, there's definitely no rush and I do like the sound of purple driving shoes!
How do the Bresciani socks feel compared to others you have?
Looks like the postman is going to be a very familiar sight for awhile
Thanks Gerry. Socks feel very nice, quite soft. If you are going to wear socks they might as well be good quality and feel nice (but do we really need socks fxh). Found another good source for socks yesterday too - http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/socks/ (shout out to Charlie's Wardrobe). will be using the Style Forum code SF10 for my next socks purchase there I would think.
PS Will PM/text you about a lunch shortly.Quote:
This should be the case. Or the burgundy knit tie (Australian Member Style Forum club tie).
Such a shame good quality shoes are so rare here (in Australia). In fact on the occasions I see them they often cause me to turn my head and give me a greater respect for the wearer (superficial - definitely, some of the finest people I know could care less about sartorial matters).
I work up in Melbourne's legal district and often you see people who have obviously put some thought and money into what they are wearing (not always too my taste or wisely spent money, but they clearly care about how they look) and then you look at the shoes....Dear, oh dear.
A good pair of shoes will rescue a bad outfit, where as a bad pair ruin an outfit and good shoes continue to look good with age and bad shoes will never look good. I know I am preaching to the choir here but cheap shoes are false economy. I wish these people thought about shoes first and built from there.
But of course there are far more important things in life....move on Pink Socks!post #11449 of 654933/28/12 at 5:04pmWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Picked up a shirt I had made for my wedding at P Johnson Tailors yesterday. It is awesome, the fabric, which is a very fine knitted white, is amazing and it is definitely the best shirt I own. Now, only 3 months until I can wear it...
Also picked up some Bresciani socks - one burgundy and one grey (never thought I would buy grey socks but they look great esp. with the tan derby I have on today). (Yes socks fxh!).
Great to catch up with Tom and Jen (and Frank the ever growing dog - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/post/20054940487/tamsinjohnson-p-johnson-showroom-south#notes) and see some of the things they are getting made up. Too much temptation and new ideas. A grey suit is next, but need to wait a while there.
With those purchases, some Drakes ties CEP has put in the post for me, a trial wedding bowtie (fat butterfly model, black with tartan inlining and monogram inside) I have coming from Cordial Churchman, some new training gear and some C&J Chukka boots (finally found my size on new with box etc on Italian ebay) which are on their way, think I might need to join the no purchase club until I go to Scotland in July (keen to get a Barbour waxed International jacket there and maybe some other bargains).
In there spirit of Gerry Nelson (http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/10545#post_5248044) think I might (have to) be done with shoes for a while. I have -
- Black cap toe oxford
- Dark brown wholecuts
- Dark brown austerity brogues
- Tan derby
- Tan brogues
- Tan chukka boot
- Dark brown suede chukka boots (on the way)
- Dark brown loafers
- Light brown nubuck loafers
- Black ghillie brogues (traditional shoes for kilt wear)
- Brown boat shoes
- Purple driving shoes
- (plus some canvas navy Keds, Puma and (bright pink) Nike runners, some colourful Havianas flipflops, a pair of Asics training shoes and a pair of Vibram Fivefingers)
But I have plenty of new stuff and exciting things arriving in the post soon to enjoy, so I am a (well dressed, hopefully) happy man.
Hey PS I'm a big fan of tan shoes -- what brand are your brogues and derbies?post #11450 of 654933/28/12 at 5:05pmQuote:
It would be funny if there was a well dressed chap there who was not an SF member and people kept going up to him saying "Style Forum meetup?" or whatever...post #11451 of 654933/28/12 at 5:07pmpost #11452 of 654933/28/12 at 5:07pmMy strategy would be to find a bunch of fops. That of just finding the only people at Jwow.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) I won't be able to make it tonight. Caught a bit of a cold and feeling quite crook. Have to try to recover by Sunday to do Run for the Kids, so I'll be heading straight home after work. Have fun fellas.post #11453 of 654933/28/12 at 5:12pmSo I picked up a Rodd & Gunn cashmere blend jumper yesterday at Myer at 25% off. I probably got shafted even with the discount (it was $135) but I was seduced by the high armholes, great fit and soft, soft fabric. Actually it was mostly the armholes; has anyone else noticed how low/massive they are on most cheaper knitwear?post #11454 of 654933/28/12 at 5:18pmpost #11455 of 654933/28/12 at 5:21pmQuote:
Absolutely. I find myself starting at the head and working my way down and 9/10 I'm disappointed that such a nice suit, or jacket and slacks is often ruined by some scuffed up, beaten shoes.
It's like buying an F1 racing car and then filling it with diesel and expecting to get performance.post #11456 of 654933/28/12 at 5:33pmQuote:
Sorry, I am unable to make it. But like you say, doubt you will struggle to spot the SFers.post #11457 of 654933/28/12 at 5:49pmpost #11458 of 654933/28/12 at 5:52pmQuote:
'Look, as I said to the previous chap, and to the one before him, I'm waiting for a friend. A female friend. I'm flattered, of course, but please...'post #11459 of 654933/28/12 at 5:56pmpost #11460 of 654933/28/12 at 5:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by blahman
My strategy would be to find a bunch of fops. That of just finding the only people at Jwow.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) I won't be able to make it tonight. Caught a bit of a cold and feeling quite crook. Have to try to recover by Sunday to do Run for the Kids, so I'll be heading straight home after work. Have fun fellas.
Good luck with the run Bman, I'm doing it too (and also not making it tonight).
- Australian Members
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Neckties: A Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › IT'S ALL GOING TO BE OK ~ THE OFFICIAL-UNOFFICIAL TOJ EXCHANGE... 1 minute ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 6 minutes ago
- › RICK OWENS DRKSHDW - Jumbo Tee in Pearl 7 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 8 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 8 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth