My proposed strategy too.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 4/17/16 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 764post #11446 of 679463/28/12 at 4:55pmpost #11447 of 679463/28/12 at 5:01pm
I'm wearing a lapel flower, pocket square, double monks and a burgundy grenadine tie (closest I had to the 'official SF' tie ) - if that's not a giveaway, I don't know what is ...post #11448 of 679463/28/12 at 5:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
A very nice collection of shoes there and it looks like you've pretty much covered all bases.Dark brown suede loafers (strangely enough, I was also looking at a pair of these) would be a very nice addition at some point as well as a single cutaway or double monk. Based on what you have there, though, there's definitely no rush and I do like the sound of purple driving shoes!
How do the Bresciani socks feel compared to others you have?
Looks like the postman is going to be a very familiar sight for awhile
Thanks Gerry. Socks feel very nice, quite soft. If you are going to wear socks they might as well be good quality and feel nice (but do we really need socks fxh). Found another good source for socks yesterday too - http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/socks/ (shout out to Charlie's Wardrobe). will be using the Style Forum code SF10 for my next socks purchase there I would think.
PS Will PM/text you about a lunch shortly.Quote:
This should be the case. Or the burgundy knit tie (Australian Member Style Forum club tie).
Such a shame good quality shoes are so rare here (in Australia). In fact on the occasions I see them they often cause me to turn my head and give me a greater respect for the wearer (superficial - definitely, some of the finest people I know could care less about sartorial matters).
I work up in Melbourne's legal district and often you see people who have obviously put some thought and money into what they are wearing (not always too my taste or wisely spent money, but they clearly care about how they look) and then you look at the shoes....Dear, oh dear.
A good pair of shoes will rescue a bad outfit, where as a bad pair ruin an outfit and good shoes continue to look good with age and bad shoes will never look good. I know I am preaching to the choir here but cheap shoes are false economy. I wish these people thought about shoes first and built from there.
But of course there are far more important things in life....move on Pink Socks!post #11449 of 679463/28/12 at 5:04pmWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Picked up a shirt I had made for my wedding at P Johnson Tailors yesterday. It is awesome, the fabric, which is a very fine knitted white, is amazing and it is definitely the best shirt I own. Now, only 3 months until I can wear it...
Also picked up some Bresciani socks - one burgundy and one grey (never thought I would buy grey socks but they look great esp. with the tan derby I have on today). (Yes socks fxh!).
Great to catch up with Tom and Jen (and Frank the ever growing dog - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/post/20054940487/tamsinjohnson-p-johnson-showroom-south#notes) and see some of the things they are getting made up. Too much temptation and new ideas. A grey suit is next, but need to wait a while there.
With those purchases, some Drakes ties CEP has put in the post for me, a trial wedding bowtie (fat butterfly model, black with tartan inlining and monogram inside) I have coming from Cordial Churchman, some new training gear and some C&J Chukka boots (finally found my size on new with box etc on Italian ebay) which are on their way, think I might need to join the no purchase club until I go to Scotland in July (keen to get a Barbour waxed International jacket there and maybe some other bargains).
In there spirit of Gerry Nelson (http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/10545#post_5248044) think I might (have to) be done with shoes for a while. I have -
- Black cap toe oxford
- Dark brown wholecuts
- Dark brown austerity brogues
- Tan derby
- Tan brogues
- Tan chukka boot
- Dark brown suede chukka boots (on the way)
- Dark brown loafers
- Light brown nubuck loafers
- Black ghillie brogues (traditional shoes for kilt wear)
- Brown boat shoes
- Purple driving shoes
- (plus some canvas navy Keds, Puma and (bright pink) Nike runners, some colourful Havianas flipflops, a pair of Asics training shoes and a pair of Vibram Fivefingers)
But I have plenty of new stuff and exciting things arriving in the post soon to enjoy, so I am a (well dressed, hopefully) happy man.
Hey PS I'm a big fan of tan shoes -- what brand are your brogues and derbies?post #11450 of 679463/28/12 at 5:05pmQuote:
It would be funny if there was a well dressed chap there who was not an SF member and people kept going up to him saying "Style Forum meetup?" or whatever...post #11451 of 679463/28/12 at 5:07pmpost #11452 of 679463/28/12 at 5:07pmMy strategy would be to find a bunch of fops. That of just finding the only people at Jwow.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) I won't be able to make it tonight. Caught a bit of a cold and feeling quite crook. Have to try to recover by Sunday to do Run for the Kids, so I'll be heading straight home after work. Have fun fellas.post #11453 of 679463/28/12 at 5:12pmSo I picked up a Rodd & Gunn cashmere blend jumper yesterday at Myer at 25% off. I probably got shafted even with the discount (it was $135) but I was seduced by the high armholes, great fit and soft, soft fabric. Actually it was mostly the armholes; has anyone else noticed how low/massive they are on most cheaper knitwear?post #11454 of 679463/28/12 at 5:18pmpost #11455 of 679463/28/12 at 5:21pmQuote:
Absolutely. I find myself starting at the head and working my way down and 9/10 I'm disappointed that such a nice suit, or jacket and slacks is often ruined by some scuffed up, beaten shoes.
It's like buying an F1 racing car and then filling it with diesel and expecting to get performance.post #11456 of 679463/28/12 at 5:33pmQuote:
Sorry, I am unable to make it. But like you say, doubt you will struggle to spot the SFers.post #11457 of 679463/28/12 at 5:49pmpost #11458 of 679463/28/12 at 5:52pmQuote:
'Look, as I said to the previous chap, and to the one before him, I'm waiting for a friend. A female friend. I'm flattered, of course, but please...'post #11459 of 679463/28/12 at 5:56pmpost #11460 of 679463/28/12 at 5:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by blahman
My strategy would be to find a bunch of fops. That of just finding the only people at Jwow.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) I won't be able to make it tonight. Caught a bit of a cold and feeling quite crook. Have to try to recover by Sunday to do Run for the Kids, so I'll be heading straight home after work. Have fun fellas.
Good luck with the run Bman, I'm doing it too (and also not making it tonight).
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 40 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 53 seconds ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › Magnanni Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts