My proposed strategy too.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 764post #11446 of 559673/28/12 at 4:55pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11447 of 559673/28/12 at 5:01pm
I'm wearing a lapel flower, pocket square, double monks and a burgundy grenadine tie (closest I had to the 'official SF' tie ) - if that's not a giveaway, I don't know what is ...post #11448 of 559673/28/12 at 5:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson
A very nice collection of shoes there and it looks like you've pretty much covered all bases.Dark brown suede loafers (strangely enough, I was also looking at a pair of these) would be a very nice addition at some point as well as a single cutaway or double monk. Based on what you have there, though, there's definitely no rush and I do like the sound of purple driving shoes!
How do the Bresciani socks feel compared to others you have?
Looks like the postman is going to be a very familiar sight for awhile
Thanks Gerry. Socks feel very nice, quite soft. If you are going to wear socks they might as well be good quality and feel nice (but do we really need socks fxh). Found another good source for socks yesterday too - http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/socks/ (shout out to Charlie's Wardrobe). will be using the Style Forum code SF10 for my next socks purchase there I would think.
PS Will PM/text you about a lunch shortly.Quote:
This should be the case. Or the burgundy knit tie (Australian Member Style Forum club tie).
Such a shame good quality shoes are so rare here (in Australia). In fact on the occasions I see them they often cause me to turn my head and give me a greater respect for the wearer (superficial - definitely, some of the finest people I know could care less about sartorial matters).
I work up in Melbourne's legal district and often you see people who have obviously put some thought and money into what they are wearing (not always too my taste or wisely spent money, but they clearly care about how they look) and then you look at the shoes....Dear, oh dear.
A good pair of shoes will rescue a bad outfit, where as a bad pair ruin an outfit and good shoes continue to look good with age and bad shoes will never look good. I know I am preaching to the choir here but cheap shoes are false economy. I wish these people thought about shoes first and built from there.
But of course there are far more important things in life....move on Pink Socks!post #11449 of 559673/28/12 at 5:04pmWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Picked up a shirt I had made for my wedding at P Johnson Tailors yesterday. It is awesome, the fabric, which is a very fine knitted white, is amazing and it is definitely the best shirt I own. Now, only 3 months until I can wear it...
Also picked up some Bresciani socks - one burgundy and one grey (never thought I would buy grey socks but they look great esp. with the tan derby I have on today). (Yes socks fxh!).
Great to catch up with Tom and Jen (and Frank the ever growing dog - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/post/20054940487/tamsinjohnson-p-johnson-showroom-south#notes) and see some of the things they are getting made up. Too much temptation and new ideas. A grey suit is next, but need to wait a while there.
With those purchases, some Drakes ties CEP has put in the post for me, a trial wedding bowtie (fat butterfly model, black with tartan inlining and monogram inside) I have coming from Cordial Churchman, some new training gear and some C&J Chukka boots (finally found my size on new with box etc on Italian ebay) which are on their way, think I might need to join the no purchase club until I go to Scotland in July (keen to get a Barbour waxed International jacket there and maybe some other bargains).
In there spirit of Gerry Nelson (http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/10545#post_5248044) think I might (have to) be done with shoes for a while. I have -
- Black cap toe oxford
- Dark brown wholecuts
- Dark brown austerity brogues
- Tan derby
- Tan brogues
- Tan chukka boot
- Dark brown suede chukka boots (on the way)
- Dark brown loafers
- Light brown nubuck loafers
- Black ghillie brogues (traditional shoes for kilt wear)
- Brown boat shoes
- Purple driving shoes
- (plus some canvas navy Keds, Puma and (bright pink) Nike runners, some colourful Havianas flipflops, a pair of Asics training shoes and a pair of Vibram Fivefingers)
But I have plenty of new stuff and exciting things arriving in the post soon to enjoy, so I am a (well dressed, hopefully) happy man.
Hey PS I'm a big fan of tan shoes -- what brand are your brogues and derbies?post #11450 of 559673/28/12 at 5:05pmQuote:
It would be funny if there was a well dressed chap there who was not an SF member and people kept going up to him saying "Style Forum meetup?" or whatever...post #11451 of 559673/28/12 at 5:07pmpost #11452 of 559673/28/12 at 5:07pmMy strategy would be to find a bunch of fops. That of just finding the only people at Jwow.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) I won't be able to make it tonight. Caught a bit of a cold and feeling quite crook. Have to try to recover by Sunday to do Run for the Kids, so I'll be heading straight home after work. Have fun fellas.post #11453 of 559673/28/12 at 5:12pmSo I picked up a Rodd & Gunn cashmere blend jumper yesterday at Myer at 25% off. I probably got shafted even with the discount (it was $135) but I was seduced by the high armholes, great fit and soft, soft fabric. Actually it was mostly the armholes; has anyone else noticed how low/massive they are on most cheaper knitwear?post #11454 of 559673/28/12 at 5:18pmpost #11455 of 559673/28/12 at 5:21pmQuote:
Absolutely. I find myself starting at the head and working my way down and 9/10 I'm disappointed that such a nice suit, or jacket and slacks is often ruined by some scuffed up, beaten shoes.
It's like buying an F1 racing car and then filling it with diesel and expecting to get performance.post #11456 of 559673/28/12 at 5:33pmQuote:
Sorry, I am unable to make it. But like you say, doubt you will struggle to spot the SFers.post #11457 of 559673/28/12 at 5:49pmpost #11458 of 559673/28/12 at 5:52pmQuote:
'Look, as I said to the previous chap, and to the one before him, I'm waiting for a friend. A female friend. I'm flattered, of course, but please...'post #11459 of 559673/28/12 at 5:56pmpost #11460 of 559673/28/12 at 5:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by blahman
My strategy would be to find a bunch of fops. That of just finding the only people at Jwow.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) I won't be able to make it tonight. Caught a bit of a cold and feeling quite crook. Have to try to recover by Sunday to do Run for the Kids, so I'll be heading straight home after work. Have fun fellas.
Good luck with the run Bman, I'm doing it too (and also not making it tonight).
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 2 seconds ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 33 seconds ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 51 seconds ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 2 minutes ago
- › BNWT Stephan Schneider Merino - Gray - Size 4 for Other Color 2 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 4 minutes ago
- › Patrik Ervell Blazer Coat - Black - Medium (46-48) 6 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Cigar Straight Tip Bal 10.5D - Hampton Last 6 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...