or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 684

post #10246 of 55937
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

My post above is fairly non-informative, but I just remember this photograph being posted in WAYWRN. For me, it's a train-wreck. This guy clearly is confident. But an infinite amount of swagger will never save this outfit.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

tumblr_lv2uqxinF91qapbr2o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329701217&Signature=j8ZKcFTRabkA9GsXvM%2FyP7C%2Foe4%3D

 

 

Looking to draw on the knowledge of more experienced people here. What I see is this:

 

The jacket looks like a suit jacket, there's a collar gap, sleeves don't look right, the jacket and the trousers look too short and there's too much showing of the pocket square.

 

Is there more or am I missing something here?

 

post #10247 of 55937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post


Looking to draw on the knowledge of more experienced people here. What I see is this:

The jacket looks like a suit jacket, there's a collar gap, sleeves don't look right, the jacket and the trousers look too short and there's too much showing of the pocket square.

Is there more or am I missing something here?

The patch pockets and what looks like a more woolen fabric makes it likely to be an odd jacket or can be used as such. The glaring problems are the gaping collar, shoulders and sleeves being too narrow.
As for length, anything within 1" of the crotch is fine with me, especially when worn slim and casually.
Quar probably hates the high button stance and the very tapered pants with all that wrinkling as well.
post #10248 of 55937
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post

The patch pockets and what looks like a more woolen fabric makes it likely to be an odd jacket or can be used as such. The glaring problems are the gaping collar, shoulders and sleeves being too narrow.
As for length, anything within 1" of the crotch is fine with me, especially when worn slim and casually.
Quar probably hates the high button stance and the very tapered pants with all that wrinkling as well.

Here is my 0.05 cents worth. Sorry about the spelling.
467
post #10249 of 55937
Chest is too tight. Lapels are bowing out. Collar doesn't fit his neck. Shoulders don't fit. Jacket is too short. Buttoning point too far above his natural waist. Nothing about that jacket is right.
post #10250 of 55937
I reckon you are all nitpicking. Yes the jacket may be a touch wide in the shoulders but that may be because he's bunched the sleeves up over the elbows.

I think he's rocking it. Yeah there is a bit of pull in the jacket, but the shoes, the pocket square and tie all do it for me.
post #10251 of 55937
I think if he were walking down the street, there would be no problems with his outfit, apart from perhaps only the length and slimness of his trousers, but that is subjective.
post #10252 of 55937
I didn't comment on the trousers because that is the least of his troubles, and trouser length and slimness are more varied according to preference.

It is not nit-picking. There are some glaring fit issues there. I feel like I'm the Foo of this thread here. If he wants to wear a short jacket, and look like a boy, then fine, that is a stylistic preference. But wearing a jacket that does not fit in the shoulders or chest is wrong anyway you look at it.
post #10253 of 55937
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

I didn't comment on the trousers because that is the least of his troubles, and trouser length and slimness are more varied according to preference.
It is not nit-picking. There are some glaring fit issues there. I feel like I'm the Foo of this thread here. If he wants to wear a short jacket, and look like a boy, then fine, that is a stylistic preference. But wearing a jacket that does not fit in the shoulders or chest is wrong anyway you look at it.

He'd still look better than 99% of the people you see any given weekday heading to/from work.
post #10254 of 55937
I guess it depends on whether or not you think it is best to wear clothes that are 1 size too small for you, rather than clothes that are 1 size too big for you.

I wear very slim clothing too. But I still think that things need to fit in critical areas like the chest and shoulders. If a jacket doesn't fit in the chest or shoulders, you never should have bought it. Alterations can't fix these areas.

This is a horrible photograph of a dinner jacket by P Johnson Tailors. It's very slim, but the chest fits well, and the lapels lay flat on the chest.

urUpB.jpg
post #10255 of 55937
Nice jacket. Your calves are the same size as your quads though. Time to squat!
post #10256 of 55937
Had a $20 Sportscraft gift voucher sent to me and decided to use it today with in store discounts the polo came to $23.60 leaving me out of pocket $3.60.
post #10257 of 55937
I'm pretty sure polo shirts is all I will be wearing there for a while. It was 7 degrees here yesterday and it felt warm, anything over 15 will feel like summer. :P
post #10258 of 55937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Ferguson View Post

I'm pretty sure polo shirts is all I will be wearing there for a while. It was 7 degrees here yesterday and it felt warm, anything over 15 will feel like summer. :P

Actually in Canberra it has not rained today (as yet) and it was 26c makes a pleasant change (lamentations over the loss of summer) and I was able to sit in the sun and catch up with the papers this morning.
post #10259 of 55937
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

My post above is fairly non-informative, but I just remember this photograph being posted in WAYWRN. For me, it's a train-wreck. This guy clearly is confident. But an infinite amount of swagger will never save this outfit.
tumblr_lv2uqxinF91qapbr2o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329701217&Signature=j8ZKcFTRabkA9GsXvM%2FyP7C%2Foe4%3D
Yeah I don't think he is rocking anything honestly, stylistic preferences aside the fit is way off which I have told him in waywrn (along with about 20 others)and he has accepted that and said he is slowly going to a more slim but classic fit. Slim is slim but his fits are tight, and not flattering to him and would be awfully uncomfortable. I once remember my tailor slimmed a pair of herringbone suit trousers too much like the above and I wore them for a while like that, they were so uncomfortable I ended up just paying the 350 bucks for a new pair.

He does wear some nice shirts and ties though, but unfortunately they are rarely noticed due to all the other issues.
post #10260 of 55937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Actually in Canberra it has not rained today (as yet) and it was 26c makes a pleasant change (lamentations over the loss of summer) and I was able to sit in the sun and catch up with the papers this morning.

You spoke too soon! I just got the lawn mowed before it pissed down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members