• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone ever use tom fords mtm program?

litho

Reaction score
I have heard that all Tom Ford is just re-labeled Zegna, with them tailoring everything

If that's the case, why not just use Zegna direct. they are amazing (also bloody expensive though)

With Tom Ford you're paying 95% for his label

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I bought an MTM suit through Tom Ford's old MTM program (Gucci). It was a nice enough suit, but knowing what I've learned since I could have gotten the same silhouette and features through Zegna Su Misura in a better fabric and paid goodly sum less for it.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
But can really get the same style from Zegna (super-wide lapels and hour glass)?

Why would you want super-wide lapels anyways? Just buy a vintage 70's suit. Sounds like a good idea if you have more money then sense. 5K seems a bit steep for what he's offering. For that price you could go full bespoke with some of the best tailors around like Shattuck, Logsdale, Raphael? And get a one of a kind suit the way you want it. Your money not mine.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Why would you want super-wide lapels anyways? Just buy a vintage 70's suit. Sounds like a good idea if you have more money then sense. 5K seems a bit steep for what he's offering. For that price you could go full bespoke with some of the best tailors around like Shattuck, Logsdale, Raphael? And get a one of a kind suit the way you want it. Your money not mine.

While I don't disagree with you, you will neither get a vintage suit nor a suit from one of those other guys to look like a Tom Ford suit. Obviously the OP has his reasons for wanting the look, it's not my style either but I also wouldn't spend any money getting a Logsdale or Shattuck suit as neither of those are my style. Different strokes and all that other stuff.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm not sure what people don't understand about this. Sure, it's Zegna fabric, but he cuts them his way, not the Zegna way. You're looking at broad shoulders, wicked lapels (he prefers the peak), an abundance of vests, and the slim waist line for the hour-glass look.

I'm sure if the OP wanted a Zenga suit, he would go to the Zegna store.

To answer his question, I looked at the Tom Ford MTM program. They're very precise and well built suits, though they are a little expensive. They're pretty flashy too, somebody will notice your suit, yet it won't be tacky like something you pick up at a Burlington Coat Factory. I ended up not going the Tom Ford route since it would look weird on my body type (really slim). If you have the shoulders, body type, and don't mind fronting the cash - I'd say go for it. You'll have a super high end suit that is just a little bit different from everybody else's in the crowd.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The truth is that the "quality" brands rarely offer the flashier styles of the "designer" brands. It's hard to find tailors who can recreate the styles of the designer brands, if that is what you are going for. How different are the different are the Tom Ford suits from the suits he designed for Gucci and YSL? I guess the quality is better? Some of the Gucci suits I saw were fully canvassed while the YSL didn't seem to be - not sure why such a difference would exist.

I think what Tom Ford offers is basically the 70s suit that never quite existed. You can't really get a vintage 70s suit in decent fabrics and with quality work - Tom Ford offers that through his own label and through his work at Gucci and YSL. The forum doesn't like the 70s, but some do.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bespoke means you are the designer. MTM means Tom Ford is the designer. Guess who designs better?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Hahaha, James Bond hates Tom Ford, oh the irony!!

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Bespoke means you are the designer. MTM means Tom Ford is the designer. Guess who designs better?

Well, if he likes Tom Ford (which I myself can understand), the answer to your (rhetorical) question isn't as obvious as you obviously mean.
I know that SF groupthink says that bespoke is best, but I don't think that the majority of people have thought that through.
If I had the money, I'd buy Tom Ford MTM any time.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I'm not sure what people don't understand about this. Sure, it's Zegna fabric, but he cuts them his way, not the Zegna way. You're looking at broad shoulders, wicked lapels (he prefers the peak), an abundance of vests, and the slim waist line for the hour-glass look.

I'm sure if the OP wanted a Zenga suit, he would go to the Zegna store.

To answer his question, I looked at the Tom Ford MTM program. They're very precise and well built suits, though they are a little expensive. They're pretty flashy too, somebody will notice your suit, yet it won't be tacky like something you pick up at a Burlington Coat Factory. I ended up not going the Tom Ford route since it would look weird on my body type (really slim). If you have the shoulders, body type, and don't mind fronting the cash - I'd say go for it. You'll have a super high end suit that is just a little bit different from everybody else's in the crowd.

Good point - I've used Zegna's MTM program and the suits dont look the way Ford's suits look. I'm looking for a notched lapel but slightly larger, with that hour glass shape.. very sleek and modern. I'm looking for the very precise mix of not being over the top yet unique/stands out. Conservative enough to pull off on wall street but not garish

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
How different are the different are the Tom Ford suits from the suits he designed for Gucci and YSL? I guess the quality is better? Some of the Gucci suits I saw were fully canvassed while the YSL didn't seem to be - not sure why such a difference would exist.
Quality is about the same. Both the upper end Gucci suits (as well as the MTM program when Ford was running it) and all of the YSL Rive Gauche stuff I've seen has been made to Zegna mainline standards, more or less. At least, my YSLRG jacket (2B with side vents, very hourglassy, black, peak lapels) is. FWIW, there's a jacket in the current Tom Ford that's a carbon copy of that ca. 2002 YSLRG jacket. I happened to be wearing it when I first saw the TF room at the local Neimans. While I can't say it looked like they took shortcuts on the construction of the new one, I also can't say that there was any indication to me that it was any better-made than the old YSLRG stuff. Even the fabric code was the same rank on Zegna's scale.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
Well, if he likes Tom Ford (which I myself can understand), the answer to your (rhetorical) question isn't as obvious as you obviously mean.
I know that SF groupthink says that bespoke is best, but I don't think that the majority of people have thought that through.
If I had the money, I'd buy Tom Ford MTM any time.

His point was that Tom Ford designs better than the OP or any forum member for that matter.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the fabrics & styling - can I assume the quality of construction / process of Tom Ford MTM is comparable to Zegna?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads