or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Southern accents & the Northeast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Southern accents & the Northeast - Page 5

post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnacious View Post
Everytime I watch "My Cousin Vinny" I think about how you are not correct.

I like the exchange he has in court with the judge:

"Da tooo yutes."

"Excuse me, did you say 'yutes?'"

"Yeeeah, da toooo yutes!"
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby View Post
But if you think it's bad in NYC, or anywhere else in the U.S., go to the UK.

I could talk with my fist in my mouth and be more understandable than someone from Liverpool.
post #63 of 76
I'm from Nebraska; my natural speech tends to be pretty neutral. Unfortunately, I tend to adopt the local accent if I'm in a given area for more than a week. It's weird.
post #64 of 76
I must admit, I absolutely love when a girl has a southern accent.
post #65 of 76
What's interesting to me is that my accent, since I'm from northeast Texas, is most often confused with Tennessee or North Carolina. I love the southern accents, and think that Oklahoma actually has a great soft accent as well.

I wonder how many people have been burned because they have underestimated people with these accents.
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Bostonians have an annoying accent, very true. But large swaths of the Northeast are accent-neutral. Vermont, New Hampshire, New York (aside from NYC).

We are superior!

You really don't think people in Buffalo have an accent? Syracuse? Portsmouth? Trust me, Florida is overrun with your refuse, your refugees from the Rust Belt. You almost all have accents and it's hilarious that you don't see it. Everywhere has an accent, hell I can even tell rural central Florida from Panhandle Florida.

And Connie, the first thing I thought of when I heard Sarah Palin was "upstate New York." Suck it, mary.
post #67 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post
You really don't think people in Buffalo have an accent? Syracuse? Portsmouth? Trust me, Florida is overrun with your refuse, your refugees from the Rust Belt. You almost all have accents and it's hilarious that you don't see it. Everywhere has an accent, hell I can even tell rural central Florida from Panhandle Florida.

And Connie, the first thing I thought of when I heard Sarah Palin was "upstate New York." Suck it, mary.

In my experience, Yankees tend to think of themselves as superior to all other Americans, and thus it would only be natural for them to assume they speak more neutrally/properly than other Americans (Southerners in particular).

I have a few Yankee friends whose families are essentially white trash but who are in denial and take every given opportunity to talk down on the trashy South. I should also state that not being from the U.S. I don't feel particularly loyal to any region.
post #68 of 76
i'm from Houston as in Houston proper and i have no accent. i may say regional phrases like fixing to, or yall - but in mixed company from different regions, no one has ever said i have an accent.

i think its when you get more into the burbs or the country that the accent is more easily heard. Most metropolitan areas including Dallas you can find native born Texans without accents. I would say the one exception to that would be Fort Worth, which probably has the most inherently Texan feeling to it.

i can see where everyone gets that southern accents might sound dumb, bc i do myself sometimes. however, my uncle, Harvard Law School grad and now a judge in Houston, born and raised in Mississippi, has a deepness and an all-knowing, wise tone in his voice.

i'll tell you what's weird is that cajun-southern accent you find in Louisiana. i couldn't even understand what this guy was saying when we had to stop at a gas station there.

i also work with a bunch of michiganders and their accent sounds like 'fire up the vahlvoh, i'm a sahccer mahm' (fire up the volvo i'm a soccer mom)
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post

And Connie, the first thing I thought of when I heard Sarah Palin was "upstate New York." Suck it, mary.

No way. Compared to Upstate NYers, her accent was mild. However, the vocabulary is pretty close. And you're right, for some reason, NY state people just don't comprehend that they have accents.
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
What's interesting to me is that my accent, since I'm from northeast Texas, is most often confused with Tennessee or North Carolina.

I wonder how many people have been burned because they have underestimated people with these accents.

The two biggest concentrations of my surname are in central NC and east Texas (I think around Jasper, but I'm not sure). I wouldn't be surprised if linguists have traced a connection or migration between the two areas.

I think people are quick to underestimate the southern accent, and sometimes to their detriment (Lee Atwater, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush come to mind). Granted, people in Manhattan and DC are quick to underestimate anyone who doesn't live there, regardless of their speech or accent.
post #71 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC2823 View Post
I must admit, I absolutely love when a girl has a southern accent.

Me too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #72 of 76
^^^ Useless without boobs.
post #73 of 76
Everyone has an accent to someone. That said, some carry stigma (Boston, Brooklyn, Birmingham, Botswana, ....) to the listener. Should that prevent you from getting a job, it probably isn't a job you want anyway. I grew up in the PacNW and my wife in Queens. She makes fun of the way I speak, as I do her. Ta-may-to, ta-mah-to, pa-tay-to, pa-tah-to ....

As an aside Conne, if you are planning to come to DC to work on the Hill, I say go for it. You'll fit right in with the "elites who live in DC and/or NYC." Accent be damned. PM me if you need a reference. Believe it or not, some people on this forum have accomplished more than just being iGent-tastic.
post #74 of 76
Barney Frank and Richard Shelby were both on Charlie Rose tonight

Massachusetts meets Alabama meets North Carolina. I found Charlie's the most pleasing, but I'm biased.
post #75 of 76
I've spent the majority of my life in the Midwest but most people say I sound like a Californian surfer or that I'm foreign born (from indeterminate origins) coming in at a distant second. Not a single person has ever thought I sounded like I'm from the Midwest. Go figure.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Southern accents & the Northeast