or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Department of Gender Blur
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Department of Gender Blur

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Ragpicking this weekend in a newly opened used clothing store near my apt. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, called Pirate Supplies ("Buy'em by the yarrrrd."). Many blazers for women were in the men's section.  When I noted this to the shop clerk, she said this was deliberate, and that many men like them because they fit more closely. Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for those of you who don't know it, is full of creatively self-styled young people who often wear vintage clothing very badly. But still, this men in women's man-tailored clothing could be the start, or the continuation, of something.
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Ragpicking this weekend in a newly opened used clothing store near my apt. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, called Pirate Supplies (Buy'em by the yarrrrd."). Many blazers for women were in the men's section.  When I noted this to the shop clerk, she said this was deliberate, and that many men like them because they fit more closely. Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for those of you who don't know it, is full of creatively self-styled young people who often wear vintage clothing very badly. But still, this men in women's man-tailored clothing could be the start, or the continuation, of something.
It's something the tiny people with Dior in their eyes and five bucks in their wallets do. I have a friend who's along these lines.
post #3 of 26
What with the buttonning ? It's inverted on women's clothes. That would make you look weird. .luc
post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 
This is Williamsburg. Wierd = a plus. ("Must show I am *creative.* *creative.* *creative.* *crea.....") [struck dumb by pang of anxiety over course of one's life]
post #5 of 26
Quote:
What with the buttonning ? It's inverted on women's clothes. That would make you look weird. .luc
A certain lack of concern with the opinion of traditionalists is necessary.
post #6 of 26
Hmmm. I too have been witness to this phenomenon, although I can't imagine in the conservative climate of Southeast Texas that this is attributable to anything other than the ineptitude or indolence of thrift store clerks.
post #7 of 26
Why don't these conformists just go to law school and stop making asses of themselves trying to stand-out?  Get a job, grow a gut, and stick on a sack suit, you low-lifes.  Personal style can only be attained through slight differentiations from what has been the proper way for gentlemen to dress for over a century.  Dressing in tight pants, pointy shoes, and a tiny velvet jacket doesn't make you special in America.  I've been to Williamsburg, our Bohemia, and I have some friends there, too.  Poseurs - all of them - and parasites, too.   Hey Losers:  Working in an indie video store, wearing eyeshadow, and living off your trust fund doesn't make you an artist.  No room for you in Ayn Rand land.   Slavishly following the trends of the moment is not creative, you bums, it just cuts off your circulation.  Please wear the baggy but tasteful clothes that everyone does if you want some respect.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Ragpicking this weekend in a newly opened used clothing store near my apt. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, called Pirate Supplies ("Buy'em by the yarrrrd."). Many blazers for women were in the men's section.  When I noted this to the shop clerk, she said this was deliberate, and that many men like them because they fit more closely. Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for those of you who don't know it, is full of creatively self-styled young people who often wear vintage clothing very badly. But still, this men in women's man-tailored clothing could be the start, or the continuation, of something.
Before Dior and Helmut Lang were doign the super slim fit thing, I know a guy who wore girl's jeans to get the right fit. He definately isn't weird or anything, but where we came from there was little offered...
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Quote:
(mack11211 @ Feb. 21 2005,07:00) Ragpicking this weekend in a newly opened used clothing store near my apt. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, called Pirate Supplies ("Buy'em by the yarrrrd."). Many blazers for women were in the men's section.  When I noted this to the shop clerk, she said this was deliberate, and that many men like them because they fit more closely. Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for those of you who don't know it, is full of creatively self-styled young people who often wear vintage clothing very badly. But still, this men in women's man-tailored clothing could be the start, or the continuation, of something.
Before Dior and Helmut Lang were doign the super slim fit thing, I know a guy who wore girl's jeans to get the right fit. He definately isn't weird or anything, but where we came from there was little offered...
A lot of guys do this.
post #10 of 26
i used to as well in my scenester days, I wouldnt recommend it. do it enough and youre going to crush your balls. I could only wear them for a couple hours at a time. You can find very tight men's pants that have lower crotches to avoid such pains. Lots of guys around here wear women's blazers as well. It's very obvious and looks pretty bad.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Why don't these conformists just go to law school and stop making asses of themselves trying to stand-out? Get a job, grow a gut, and stick on a sack suit, you low-lifes. Personal style can only be attained through slight differentiations from what has been the proper way for gentlemen to dress for over a century. Dressing in tight pants, pointy shoes, and a tiny velvet jacket doesn't make you special in America. I've been to Williamsburg, our Bohemia, and I have some friends there, too. Poseurs - all of them - and parasites, too. Hey Losers: Working in an indie video store, wearing eyeshadow, and living off your trust fund doesn't make you an artist. No room for you in Ayn Rand land. Slavishly following the trends of the moment is not creative, you bums, it just cuts off your circulation. Please wear the baggy but tasteful clothes that everyone does if you want some respect.
Ambiguous, slags everyone in style. Lydia, I nominate you as forum hipster.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Why don't these conformists just go to law school and stop making asses of themselves trying to stand-out? Get a job, grow a gut, and stick on a sack suit, you low-lifes. Personal style can only be attained through slight differentiations from what has been the proper way for gentlemen to dress for over a century. Dressing in tight pants, pointy shoes, and a tiny velvet jacket doesn't make you special in America. I've been to Williamsburg, our Bohemia, and I have some friends there, too. Poseurs - all of them - and parasites, too. Hey Losers: Working in an indie video store, wearing eyeshadow, and living off your trust fund doesn't make you an artist. No room for you in Ayn Rand land. Slavishly following the trends of the moment is not creative, you bums, it just cuts off your circulation. Please wear the baggy but tasteful clothes that everyone does if you want some respect.
Ha ha ha ha. That was great. But why do they have to practice law? Why not take up a career in medicine or the sciences?
post #13 of 26
That must make the bust darts look strange.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Why don't these conformists just go to law school and stop making asses of themselves trying to stand-out? Get a job, grow a gut, and stick on a sack suit, you low-lifes. Personal style can only be attained through slight differentiations from what has been the proper way for gentlemen to dress for over a century. Dressing in tight pants, pointy shoes, and a tiny velvet jacket doesn't make you special in America. I've been to Williamsburg, our Bohemia, and I have some friends there, too. Poseurs - all of them - and parasites, too. Hey Losers: Working in an indie video store, wearing eyeshadow, and living off your trust fund doesn't make you an artist. No room for you in Ayn Rand land. Slavishly following the trends of the moment is not creative, you bums, it just cuts off your circulation. Please wear the baggy but tasteful clothes that everyone does if you want some respect.
So tell us how you really feel.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
That must make the bust darts look strange.
Yeah, a tighter fit at the waist, with bonus room for your "man-boobs".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Department of Gender Blur