or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › What are the best friends of your country?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are the best friends of your country? - Page 18  

post #256 of 266
The only products that are somewhat french that are in the US are Airbus (which are not only French), wine, that's about it. Actually the Netherlands have a larger presence in the US, with Philips and Shell...
post #257 of 266
Quote:
The only products that are somewhat french that are in the US are Airbus (which are not only French), wine, that's about it.  Actually the Netherlands have a larger presence in the US, with Philips and Shell...
My point exactly, actually the Brie that we buy from the market is French. So there is some cheese.
post #258 of 266
Quote:
Ernest, do you see a restaurant chain, or a hamburger chain, or an automobile chain or anything of a French magnatic business prowess with influence in America. How many Coca Cola, Pepsi, McDonalds, Burger King, Dominos, Ford, Chevy, Hilto, Hyatt, movies from America, music, entertainers...I can keep going...how many of these French or German, or Italian, or British, how many do you count in America. Very few, why...I contend the world loves everything about America in some small way or another...I am not saying we are the best, but why do French, Spanish, Italian, Eastern Europeans love Levi, Sebago, Timberland....not because they are nice, but because they come from America.
Actually, I often find that American products are considered as cheap and disposable. American cars will never become a huge succes in Europe. Cadillac is making an effort now, but I don't think they'll succeed. General Motors as a whole is doing OK with the Opel and Saab brand. But they were German and Swedish before. Levi's and Timberland are extremely popular of course, so are McDonalds, Burger King, American Movies and Music. But I think you are doing your country short if you would put it as simple as that. Also, there were some damn good European entertainers, singers and bands (Beatles/Rolling Stones anyone?). Robbie Williams is extremely popular in Europe, I would say he is one of the most popular of all artists in at least my own country. Only DJs are more popular here. America is simply the most influential nation at the moment in world politics. As is often said, America is the worlds policeman. Whether we like it or not. But I had this discussion before. It is a role that some nation will take up anyway. I am perfectly happy with America in that role.
post #259 of 266
Thread Starter 
Quote:
India isn't a world power yet, although it has the potential to be in the future.  Their issue is that they don't have a good resource base, and that will be an ongoing issue.   China is already a major player economically, just look at how the EU is suffering because of China's ability to undersell them due to their undervalued currency (tied to the dollar)  They are politically important, and have emerged as at least a regional superpower.  Although they have laid low recently militarily since their duel with India in the 60s, in this new century, rest assured, there will be issues in Asia going forward.
It is obvious that a country of 1.2 billions of people who just have started to consume is an important world market... How can 62 millions play against 1.2 billions in term of economy? Being a world power is not only economy or army. How can you explain that you all are talking so much about French and not 25 time more about Chinese ? Why is Paris the most visited city in the WORLD? And France the second most visited country in the WORLD? French have a culture and a civilisation that US have not (and it is normal because a 200 years old "country" like US can not have the same cultural background as a 1 200 year old Nation like France). They have an influence on western and african worlds that Chinese have not. France is at the origin of many ideas and many pattents that people use nowadays. If you take in account the small number of people in France (62M) against China and the size of the country (25 less than US), the ability of French to influence the world is one of the highest in the world... Look at : - what you like the most to eat (cheese, bread, wine, best restaurants and more tastefull dishes...) - what your wife would like tyo wear and what yourself may wear (Dior/YSL/Chanel/Lanvin/Charvet/ Cartier/Weston...) - what you believe in (bill of human rights and freedom) - how you think (logic and philosophy) - what book you like to read (French writters are rather famous I guess) - which cities you like the most and where you would like to live France is everywhere...... Where are China & US?
post #260 of 266
Quote:
Actually, I often find that American products are considered as cheap and disposable. American cars will never become a huge succes in Europe. Cadillac is making an effort now, but I don't think they'll succeed. General Motors as a whole is doing OK with the Opel and Saab brand. But they were German and Swedish before. Levi's and Timberland are extremely popular of course, so are McDonalds, Burger King, American Movies and Music. But I think you are doing your country short if you would put it as simple as that. Also, there were some damn good European entertainers, singers and bands (Beatles/Rolling Stones anyone?). Robbie Williams is extremely popular in Europe, I would say he is one of the most popular of all artists in at least my own country. Only DJs are more popular here. America is simply the most influential nation at the moment in world politics. As is often said, America is the worlds policeman. Whether we like it or not. But I had this discussion before. It is a role that some nation will take up anyway. I am perfectly happy with America in that role.
The number one selling car in the world and Europe for many years was a Ford, the Fiesta...although cheap and disposable, it was number one, and doing well in many other countries are some other Ford products that sell quite well. John Fleming, president, Ford of Europe said: "The Fiesta is one of the most successful European small cars ever. Over its 29-year history, it has played a significant role in the development of the European auto industry. We will ensure the Fiesta will continue to play its part in the future, delighting customers and remaining one of the main contributors to a successful Ford of Europe organization." And I was not geralizing the accomplishments of American biz, rather the ordinary things that do not take a lot of thought process. As to the entertainers, yes there are very good ones in Europe, however; few make a splash as did the Beatles or the Stones outside of the music industry...yet when in London at a rave not long ago, half of the music being played was American pop stars like Justine, Christine, Brittany...etc Did Ernest decide to go to bed?
post #261 of 266
Ernest, A bit Chauvin-istic, perhaps?
post #262 of 266
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,Feb. 26 2005,00:49
India isn't a world power yet, although it has the potential to be in the future.  Their issue is that they don't have a good resource base, and that will be an ongoing issue.   China is already a major player economically, just look at how the EU is suffering because of China's ability to undersell them due to their undervalued currency (tied to the dollar)  They are politically important, and have emerged as at least a regional superpower.  Although they have laid low recently militarily since their duel with India in the 60s, in this new century, rest assured, there will be issues in Asia going forward.
It is obvious that a country of 1.2 billions of people who just have started to consume is an important world market... How can 62 millions play against 1.2 billions in term of economy? Being a world power is not only economy or army. How can you explain that you all are talking so much about French and not 25 time more about Chinese ? Why is Paris the most visited city in the WORLD? And France the second most visited country in the WORLD? French have a culture and a civilisation that US have not (and it is normal because a 200 years old "country" like US can not have the same cultural background as a 1 200 year old Nation like France). They have an influence on western and african worlds that Chinese have not. France is at the origin of many ideas and many pattents that people use nowadays. If you take in account the small number of people in France (62M)  against China and the size of the country (25 less than US),  the ability of French to influence the world is one of the highest in the world... Look at : - what you like the most to eat (cheese, bread, wine, best restaurants and more tastefull dishes...) - what your wife would like tyo wear and what yourself may wear (Dior/YSL/Chanel/Lanvin/Charvet/ Cartier/Weston...) - what you believe in (bill of human rights and freedom) - how you think (logic and philosophy) - what book you like to read (French writters are rather famous I guess) - which cities you like the most and where you would like to live France is everywhere...... Where are China & US?
Ernest, did you know that Descartes studied and lived in the Netherlands? I think you have never been to the USA because there are some very cultured people in the USA. Just as there are some 'redneck type' people as you call them in France... The Chinese have the power to crush France (and Europe) at their will. A lot of people will favor Italian or Chinese cuisine above the French. Not to mention the Italian and British fashion and tailoring houses. The Arabs founded the modern concept of Mathematics and what about that Shakespeare or an Hemingway? Paris is a city that I absolutely love, to visit. I would never want to live there. Actually Holland was a republic (1587, Republic of the seven united Provinces) before France ever was. Greek philosophy was also kind of popular I belove (Aristotle, Plato) and even the Chinese had this philosopher kind of guy (heard of Confucius?). France is not superior to any other country in the world. Every country has a history of which they are proud (usually). But don't make the mistake to think that other countries have achieved nothing.
post #263 of 266
Quote:
How can you explain that you all are talking so much about French and not 25 time more about Chinese ?
Because there isn't a Chinese person here trying to convince us that his country is a world power... although I don't think it would be that difficult to do.
Quote:
Why is Paris the most visited city in the WORLD? And France the second most visited country in the WORLD?
Paris is easy to visit for Europeans, and there likely aren't records about domestic visitors to Chinese cities. I would guess that Shanghai and Beijing are more frequently visited than Paris when you take into account domestic visitors, but these records aren't available.
Quote:
French have a culture and a civilisation that US have not (and it is normal because a 200 years old "country" like US can not have the same cultural background as a 1 200 year old Nation like France).
China has been around for three thousand years, so I think this comparison isn't one you want to make. The US dominates the world stage right now, more so than ANY COUNTRY HAS EVER DONE, even the Roman empire. As powerful as the Roman empire was during its heyday, they had no influence on Asia, while the US influences the entire world.
Quote:
They have an influence on western and african worlds that Chinese have not.
This is debatable, I would wager that more economies are more dependent on Chinese goods than French ones. If you're talking about culture, Chinese philosophy has been part of many doctrines since before Christ (Confucius, Sun Tzu)
Quote:
France is at the origin of many ideas and many pattents that people use nowadays.
Name some that aren't based on Greek or Roman teachings?
Quote:
If you take in account the small number of people in France (62M) against China and the size of the country (25 less than US), the ability of French to influence the world is one of the highest in the world...
Why more so than the UK, Japan, etc?
Quote:
Look at : - what you like the most to eat (cheese, bread, wine, best restaurants and more tastefull dishes...)
The French didn't invent cheese, bread, or wine, and while french cuisine is great, so are others.
Quote:
- what your wife would like tyo wear and what yourself may wear (Dior/YSL/Chanel/Lanvin/Charvet/ Cartier/Weston...)
Actually I own almost no french goods except for a LV billfold and ONE hermes tie.
Quote:
- what you believe in (bill of human rights and freedom)
Most of the philosophies they were based on were from earlier Greek and Roman teaching.
Quote:
- how you think (logic and philosophy)
Again, from the Greeks and Romans.
Quote:
- what book you like to read (French writters are rather famous I guess)
I prefer Russian writers.
Quote:
- which cities you like the most and where you would like to live
I see more US cities on top ten lists than French ones.
Quote:
France is everywhere...... Where are China & US?
This is just a hilarious statement... I used to think the Vienese were stuck in the past, but this is just outrageous.
post #264 of 266
Quote:
France is not superior to any other country in the world. Every country has a history of which they are proud (usually). But don't make the mistake to think that other countries have achieved nothing.
Well put my man, well put....every country should be proud of the accomplishments realized through their history...and hopefully some of thoe made by America have effected the world in good more ways than bad. Unfortunately the US has had such little history to live on in comparison to the rest of the world, therefore I think we are trying to make up for it faster.
post #265 of 266
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy,Feb. 25 2005,19:25
France is not superior to any other country in the world. Every country has a history of which they are proud (usually). But don't make the mistake to think that other countries have achieved nothing.
Well put my man, well put....every country should be proud of the accomplishments realized through their history...and hopefully some of thoe made by America have effected the world in good more ways than bad. Unfortunately the US has had such little history to live on in comparison to the rest of the world, therefore I think we are trying to make up for it faster.
America is a melting pot and is creating world history. How much more exciting can it get? America's Roots lie in Africa, Asia and Europe. You guys have the opportunity to take the best of all and make it into something new.
post #266 of 266
Guys- what is with all these multipage p***ng contests lately? It's like J. and I can't go anywhere w/out a fire breaking out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › What are the best friends of your country?