• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that represent quality above all else

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I give kdaust credit for this concept.

What brands and makers pursue quality as they define it without compromise? And by "compromise," I don't mean at any cost, but simply, given the premise of what they sell, do they cut corners?

Here are three that I like, just to get things off to a start:

- Lange

- Steed

- The Flathead

- Alden

A few more that I like are now dead. There are also some that I think fit the bill, but I do not own personally yet. One example:

- April in Paris

What are yours?

- B

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After watching that Top Gear series on the Toyota Hilux, I think Toyota would be the epitome of quality assurance.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Also, if quality but not taste, is the issue, then I would vote for Hermes. In other words, even though Hermes makes things which I find of questionable taste, I have never seen any of their products that compromised quality.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
After watching that Top Gear series on the Toyota Hilux, I think Toyota would be the epitome of quality assurance.

Interesting.

I would put Ferrari first when it comes to cars, though.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Also, if quality but not taste, is the issue, then I would vote for Hermes. In other words, even though Hermes makes things which I find of questionable taste, I have never seen any of their products that compromised quality.

I can't think of a mass market brand that is as uncompromising.

- B

manouche

Reaction score
Dunhill

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Lange, but I would put a company like Patek ahead of them. Lange's finishing is generally excellent, but they do not pay the same kind of attention to finishing parts that will not be viewable through the display back.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sulka had that quality of seemingly effortless elegance which I don't really find amongst current brands. Ralph's Purple Label has some of that, but not everything measures up to the same level: shirts for example are a weak point.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I like Lange, but I would put a company like Patek ahead of them. Lange's finishing is generally excellent, but they do not pay the same kind of attention to finishing parts that will not be viewable through the display back.

I disagree with you. Three reasons:

1. Their dial side finishing is not as showy as the display side, but it is entirely consistent with Germanic watchmaking tradition. In fact, I feel (and reasonable people disagree), their finishing is equalled but not exceeded by Patek.

2. I feel that Lange's calibre-to-case orientation is purer than Patek. Lange thinks very seriously about what goes into the case in a way that no other watchmaker does. Moreover, I feel that while Patek cannot be equaled in complications, Lange has become the leader in manual wind movements.

3. The service from the Lange manufactury is really beyond anything that I have heard of other makers providing. It is personal, excellent, and uncompromising.

That being said, overall, Patek is still the best watch brand since their breadth of command is not equalled.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Charvet

Yeah...but how do you deal with the RTW output into high end retailers? Don't you thing there is some compromise involved?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads